Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Baloney. I don't have to break a law for wild, stupid, crazy, and dangerous drivers.
But if you are driving in the left lane without reason to, you ARE breaking the law. At least, in any state with a keep right law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
But if you are driving in the left lane without reason to, you ARE breaking the law. At least, in any state with a keep right law.
In heavy traffic no one needs to be speeding to excess creating hazard driving conditions. Get the maniacs off the road. Problems solved. It takes all lanes to keep traffic flowing and I'm not getting trapped into a dangerous situation where I need to get over in bumper to bumper traffic so people can use the left lane for a NASCAR track.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Quote:
Doing ten over on the interstate and getting passed on the right by some one doing 25 over does not constitute driving in the wrong lane.
What about if there's not someone doing 25 over? Take that out of the equation and explain to me why you should drive on the left with nothing on the right, when there's not a left exit coming up.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times
Quote:

Does New Mexico still have the 65mph miminum speed signs for driving in the left lane of a freeway?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
In heavy traffic no one needs to be speeding to excess creating hazard driving conditions. Get the maniacs off the road. Problems solved. It takes all lanes to keep traffic flowing and I'm not getting trapped into a dangerous situation where I need to get over in bumper to bumper traffic so people can use the left lane for a NASCAR track.
What is this "dangerous situation" that you fear getting trapped in?

Obviously you don't make a lane change until it is safe to do so, but I don't see driving in the passing lanes as inherently more or less safe than driving in the travel lane. If someone is coming up on you very fast, or is tailgating you, isn't it more in your own interests to get out of the way than to risk getting hit?

At fault for the wreck or not, pain is still not pleasant.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
What is this "dangerous situation" that you fear getting trapped in?

Obviously you don't make a lane change until it is safe to do so, but I don't see driving in the passing lanes as inherently more or less safe than driving in the travel lane. If someone is coming up on you very fast, or is tailgating you, isn't it more in your own interests to get out of the way than to risk getting hit?

At fault for the wreck or not, pain is still not pleasant.
If you pass a vehicle in the right lane that is doing the speed limit or more then you have broken two laws. One it is illegal to pass one the right and you were speeding. I've seen traffic moving fast and within a mile crawl to a halt. The only traffic I hold up are those maniac drivers. Weaving in and out to gain a single car link like they are the most important people on the road. On single direction highways most accidents occur during lane changes. Why can't people chill out and live rather than drive like hell to get there?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
What about if there's not someone doing 25 over? Take that out of the equation and explain to me why you should drive on the left with nothing on the right, when there's not a left exit coming up.
The OP didn't state all the scenarios. Driving the full speed limit no one should run up and ram you from the rear. Chill pills for road raged need to be dispensed.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
If you pass a vehicle in the right lane that is doing the speed limit or more then you have broken two laws. One it is illegal to pass one the right and you were speeding. I've seen traffic moving fast and within a mile crawl to a halt. The only traffic I hold up are those maniac drivers. Weaving in and out to gain a single car link like they are the most important people on the road. On single direction highways most accidents occur during lane changes. Why can't people chill out and live rather than drive like hell to get there?
So by staying in the left lane (assuming it is safe to move over, there is no upcoming left exit, and you are not overtaking anyone else on your right), you are basically saying to the other driver, "If you want to pass me, you're going to have to break the law to do it and go by on the right."

Again, I fail to see the rationale, other than trying to be some sort of control freak. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings, and give other drivers a clear signal, changing lanes is no more dangerous than any other maneuver.

If there is a guy driving like an idiot anywhere near me, I would much rather he be in front of me than behind me. I trust myself to avoid hitting him more than I trust him to avoid hitting me. Too many people claim to be advocates of safety, but all they are really doing is just getting into pissing contests with other drivers--for what? It's juvenile and dangerous, does not benefit either party, and just makes the roads more miserable for everyone.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Why would you care if in that type of a scenario, I would still be within the legal speed limit?

Your question leads me to believe you'd be the one driving at the start of the range and on the far left lane, while wondering why those passing you from the right giving you a pissy look.
Nope, as stated earlier in this thread (I think a couple of times but it's a long thread and I'm not going back to read and confirm the number of times), I only drive in the left lane when I'm passing traffic in the right lane. If there are three lanes I generally drive in the middle lane to stay out of everybody's way, both those with a speed addiction and to make it safer for those entering the freeway, AND I'm generally driving the speed limit to five over (I can't swear to the accuracy of my speedometer on the vehicle I'm driving now until I find a few of those "your speed is" devices to check it - I do that to get a baseline so that I know that I'm not driving below the limit by a few miles and thinking I'm driving the limit, and I check it whenever I get new tires because that can sometimes change the reading, oddly enough, at least on my pickup it has in past).

I should have worded that differently. I'm guessing you'd be past the top of the range, because it's been shown that some people, even when the limit is raised, will still go over the limit - they'd be going over the limit if it was 100, because the whole point for them is that they think they're entitled to drive faster than the speed limit. Because "nobody is going to tell ME how fast I can drive!", mainly.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 AM

I don't the left lane. If traffic is heavy and moving I do get in it when it is safe well ahead of time. No going to miss and exit and drive an extra 30 miles because speed demons think they are above the law. We have minimum speeds even for the right lane. Often signs saying slower traffic use the right lane. Doing the speed limit or a little above is not the slower traffic legally. Driving hell bent for leather is the problem that gets people killed. I've seen people driving over the speed limit in the middle land and one pass them on the right and one on the left and both want to get right back in the middle lane and almost collide doing it. I've see a lot of scrap metal in my day. Do 10 over on I-95 and get stopped and just be prepared to stand in the ditch while your car is stripped searched. Love it when I see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive