Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 01:08 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
More often than not, its just because people want to speed. But, I also know first hand of a medical emergency where somebody died and was held up by somebody "policing" the road.

Who cares what the reason is, why block. No good will come of it, but only potential bad.
Can you tell us more about this please?

I don't block anyone as I said I just go with flow which sometimes even mean 75 in 55 and I do that if I am in left lane or even right lane. But if I see someone who is going at speed limit I am not going to complain. As I said before person holding the left lane and the one who wants to go faster than you are both dangerous but more dangerous is the later as they become lane changer and do no good. Unfortunately I see much more later type than the former but here on CD it looks like there are way more left lane blockers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Can you tell us more about this please?

I don't block anyone as I said I just go with flow which sometimes even mean 75 in 55 and I do that if I am in left lane or even right lane. But if I see someone who is going at speed limit I am not going to complain. As I said before person holding the left lane and the one who wants to go faster than you are both dangerous but more dangerous is the later as they become lane changer and do no good. Unfortunately I see much more later type than the former but here on CD it looks like there are way more left lane blockers.
Oh, back in California. Back in 2000, my aunt had a severe heart attack. I had a car with a punk that deliberately went slow, swerved to not allow me to pass. He had the middle finger up and all. At the time, I could have killed him. I missed her last moments. She died within minutes of me arriving. My grandparents were lucky enough to be with her before she passed though.

I dont feel the need to question anyone speeding. Even if I know they are just speeders, I would not want to be the one responsible for holding someone back in a true emergency.

I also go with the flow. If the flow is all going 10 over, thats cool. Even if the flow is doing the speed limit, thats fine. But no matter what the speed is, if the "lead" car has a massive gap in front and cars behind, they should move over. Not because the law, just because.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Im saying the general flow. Not just me. Some peoples time does matter. Tell that to the father that couldnt get to his son on time at the hospital because you wanted to play police officer. You never know.

Now, if the lil po dunk town you traveled through was a lil ol 2 lane, 1 each direction, then fine. Do the speed limit. Nobody is going to dispute that. But if it was 3 or more lane, 2 going in your direction and you are holding up someone, that says a LOT about you.

If you truly think the guy behind you was so close that if you even let off that he would have hit you, then I highly highly doubt your sense of distance is accurate. I wasn't there, but more often then not, and I mean way more often, when somebody thinks someone is that close, in reality, they still have a minimum of 5+ feet. Still unsafe, but not as close as you think.

I will go ahead and call you out on having road rage. You got angry and wanted to "hit" someone for they way they drive. The fact that you have road rage and block people in the left lane says a lot.

I am not one of those up tailgating and all. I see those type all the time. I see people like you all the time and someday, its going to backfire. Someday, someone so hot headed is going to confront you. It may hurt.
You assume an awful lot. I've driven people to the ER. It wasn't a life or death situation. For that I would have called 911 and let the authorities who are trained to handle those situations take care of the person in need. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv.

I actually didn't have road rage yesterday. I just don't need my vehicle damaged by a moron who can't read and follow simple rules. The person behind me was far closer than 5 feet. I wasn't the only person in the vehicle who noticed the putz. In fact, I wasn't even the first to comment on he must have liked "the way my ass looked." Words from my husband! Oh and tailgating is against the law in NY. I also didn't say I was the only giving the black eye.

Who said I sit in the left lane? Where I live there are many 4 lane roads mostly 2 lane roads and people still drive like lunatics. I see it so much more with tourist season here. Makes me miss the college students! Something I never thought I'd say. The rich, snotty, bratty kids actually drive better!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You assume an awful lot. I've driven people to the ER. It wasn't a life or death situation. For that I would have called 911 and let the authorities who are trained to handle those situations take care of the person in need. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv.

I actually didn't have road rage yesterday. I just don't need my vehicle damaged by a moron who can't read and follow simple rules. The person behind me was far closer than 5 feet. I wasn't the only person in the vehicle who noticed the putz. In fact, I wasn't even the first to comment on he must have liked "the way my ass looked." Words from my husband! Oh and tailgating is against the law in NY. I also didn't say I was the only giving the black eye.

Who said I sit in the left lane? Where I live there are many 4 lane roads mostly 2 lane roads and people still drive like lunatics. I see it so much more with tourist season here. Makes me miss the college students! Something I never thought I'd say. The rich, snotty, bratty kids actually drive better!
Then your husband may have a bit of rage if he is the one wanting to blacken an eye.

Now the husbands comment was funny. I may use that on my girl next time we get tailgated.

Out where I live, 911 is not a luxury. We are out in the county. It's not uncommon to drive and meet paramedics halfway.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
If there isn't a law saying you can only use the left lane to pass, then you have no reason to expect someone to move out of your way! You do NOT own the road.

Whoever said the right lane is empty? Around here the interstates are all 2 lanes and the right lane is never empty.
I'm not talking about anyone moving out of my way. What I'm doing has no bearing on it. Say I'm driving the speed limit in the RIGHT lane, so the one thing I would care about if you're in the left is that you're not driving directly next to me at the same speed for the next 5 miles.

Why are you driving in the left lane if not to pass and if not to exit left? You didn't answer that. I don't think there is a good answer, so I guess that's why nobody has actually tried to justify it in that way. It's only justified by "You can't expect someone to move out of your way!" That doesn't justify driving in the left for non-passing, non-exiting reasons. That just justifies it for "F you speedersSS!!!!" reasons. Which I don't care about.

I'm saying there are good safety reasons to be driving in the left as little as possible. You do NOT own the road either. So why are you doing that? You're making things less safe for everyone. And that is true whether the right lane is full or not, although the reason I said while it was empty is because that is what some others seemed to be trying to justify, that it doesn't matter what lane you drive in if the road is empty. (Wrong.)

Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,407 times
Quote:
If there isn't a law saying you can only use the left lane to pass, then you have no reason to expect someone to move out of your way! You do NOT own the road.
It isn't about "owning the road," it's about common courtesy and behaving like a civilized human being. I had purposely avoided this thread, but I need to comment on a few things. First, let me state that I probably get passed more than I pass others on the highway. That said, even though I may be going slower than a majority of cars on the freeway, I live by a creed that was once articulated by Brock Yates in Car and Driver: "My main job on the road is to stay out of other people's way." I suppose I could stand on legal ground and plop myself in the passing lane and be a hindrance to people who wish to go faster than I, but why in the world would I want to do that? I'm not some degenerate who likes to aggravate other drivers for no reason. It's also not my job nor is it appropriate for me to be a self-appointed road nanny. That's the job of police officers, not you or I. Their choice to speed is actually none of my business, nor yours. I assume most are probably speeding for non-life-or-death situations, but I don't always know that. I remember one occasion when I was a kid when dad had to speed like a madman in such a situation. If some self-appointed road nanny had purposely impeded us, I think we all would have wanted to throttle such an idiot.

Let me put this in terms you may be able to comprehend. We have extensive multi-use trails around here that attract walker, joggers and cyclists. As far as I know, there is no ordinance precluding walkers from walking two or three across, blocking the entire path. In other words, they have the right to do this. That said, it is rude and obnoxious behavior. Every runner and cyclist who comes through has to come to a near-stop and ask them to unblock the path so they may pass. Almost invariably, these types of walkers go right back to blocking the path. Why? Because they are rude, obnoxious people who think they "own the road" and believe everyone else should adapt to them. It's called living in a community and being a civilized person. Recognizing that your needs and desires do not trump everyone else's. You do understand that no one can make you go faster in the passing lane, but you can make everyone else go slower, if you wish? Of course you do. As I've listened to people (too many) like you over the years, that's precisely why you behave as you do.

Yes, there are indeed some folks in this thread who believe they "own the road." That is crystal-clear.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post

Yes, there are indeed some folks in this thread who believe they "own the road." That is crystal-clear.
Crystal clear?

My main problem with this thread is that if you happen to talk about speed limits automatically you are assumed to sit in left lane as theyyou believe you own it and police the road which is not correct.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Crystal clear?

My main problem with this thread is that if you happen to talk about speed limits automatically you are assumed to sit in left lane as theyyou believe you own it and police the road which is not correct.
Good to hear, then I'm most certainly not talking to you. I'm talking to the people who get onto threads like this and defiantly write off their "right" to go whatever speed they wish in the passing lane, in the same manner a twelve-year old defiantly states, "You can't tell me what to do!" Frankly, I have more patience with the oself-centered, obnoxious twelve-year old than the self-centered, obnoxious adult.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If someone is in the middle lane and vehicle come behind, they need to move over as well. I tried that middle lane approach. I get pass from both sides. That becomes dangerous approaching on ramps.
In a three lane highway, you don't have to move over if someone comes behind you in the middle lane. That person should be passing you on the left. Don't ride in the right lane unless you plan to exit soon.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
In a three lane highway, you don't have to move over if someone comes behind you in the middle lane. That person should be passing you on the left. Don't ride in the right lane unless you plan to exit soon.
If there is nothing to my right, I'm getting in it. Doing so reduces disruption of the traffic flow. People pick either side to pass. I dont mind yielding to faster traffic when it is necessary. If there are a bunch of cars entering the roadway, I'll move over a lane. After all, I am passing them and making it easier for them to merge into traffic. I'm usually left alone in the right lane because everyone else in clogging the other lanes. Every now and then, a driver gets impatient of the slower traffic in the left lane and start weaving in and out of lanes. Even though I don't drive in the left lane, this is why I get annoyed with people holding up the left lane.

Regardless whether I am in the center or the left lane, nothing changes. If I am not passing anyone, I'm getting out of the way.

The unwritten rule of the busy left lane (the Autobahn edition) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive