Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,719 times

Advertisements

Quaderjet, Holley, Hooker headers, Excel, Magneto, Muncie shifter, Hurst shifter, Power Glide, Trubohydro 350 and 400. 12 bolt, 10 bolt, Limited slip, traction lock, Bias tires, Shaker hood, Cowl induction, Cherry bombs, Thrush, Dual exhaust, air chargers, Cool cans, High rise intakes, and optional heater, and optional radio,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 08:42 AM

805 posts, read 1,871,895 times
round-the-clock, cross ply

Old 03-07-2015, 08:49 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguymn View Post
Chryslers select o matic push button automatic trans
Craiger SS wheels
Chrome bumpers
The Jump seats in station wagons
Window cranks
I had no idea there was a push button automatic transmission back in the 50s. Here's what it looked like:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-co...lymouth-01.jpg

Acura has a push button transmission in their new TLXs but that is the first one I'd ever seen.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 AM

176 posts, read 420,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I had no idea there was a push button automatic transmission back in the 50s. Here's what it looked like:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-co...lymouth-01.jpg

Acura has a push button transmission in their new TLXs but that is the first one I'd ever seen.
My grandpa had a Chrysler Imperial with it is the only reason I remember it.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
My daily driver has most of what's listed in the first post, except it is injected.

I miss the vents in the floor that you could open by hand with a little pull lever by the kick panels.

I had an 85.5 car that you could still shut off all outside air when it was cold, then I got an 88 version of the same car (85.5 didn't have AC, 88 did) and suddenly there was always air coming in, even when it was set to off.

I can't stand all the digital controls these days- and I'm a techno geek. Just don't want it in my cars.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:34 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I remember learning to do Grease Jobs in high school auto Mechanics classes

Old 03-07-2015, 09:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Try this on a 20 something, and watch the confusion spread across their face/

" A 55 Chevy two door hard top, with a 427 stroked and bored, blueprinted and balanced, heads shaved, pop up pistons, stainless steel fuelie valves, Isky full race cam, forged crankshaft, twin 750 Holleys, on a high rise Edelebrock challenger manifold, with a Schafer 40 pound competition clutch, and a 9 inch Ford rear, with welded spider gears, and ZOOM 4:11 gears. Running through a Saginaw box, with a Hurst 4 speed with a line lock. Baby moon caps, on reversed rims, with Power Cushion thin white walls.

Deep black paint, a red and white tucked and rolled Naugahyde interior, with the wonder bar radio, the extra interior roof light port hole package , and the dash clock and the purple lights under the dash board. Three inch exhaust, made out of drive shaft tubes, Hedman four into one hedders and Hollywood mufflers, with a cable operated cut out for the pipes, mounted under the dash.

Stylin in 69. Wish I had never sold that car.........

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 AM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Change has a way of sneaking up on you. I was thinking how many automotive terms that some of us grew up with but the young have no clue what they are.

Carburetor, points, condenser, rotor, distributor, hand brake, shift knob, sealed beam, leaf springs, rear end, sway bar, I-beam suspension, vent window
I still have most of these on my car.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
On a couple of occasions. my 55 Chevy, that I mentioned earlier, couldn't get up a steep hill, in the country, in the winter time...... Think really cold and snowy, and a gravel road, and 400 hp.

An old Farmer gave me a lesson......He said " Turn it around , and go up in reverse, slowly". Sure enough the lower gear ration of the reverse gear allowed me to get up the hill, with out spinning the rear wheels.

Remember this car had a fully built 427 in it, so the trick was to lug it in reverse to the top of the slippery hill. That worked like a charm, and I have all ways remembered that little " country living trick. ".

Same thing with putting a cardboard sheet in front of the rad, to get more heat inside the car, in very cold weather. Cut an oblong hole in the center of the cardboard, about a foot square, to get direct air to the middle of the rad. And don't put water in the glass windshield washer bottle..... Remember those, before the plastic ones were introduced ? I shattered the original glass one in my 55, by not thinking ahead to the colder months. And don't lean over the carb when trying to use ether to start it when it's minus 30 F. It took about 3 months for my eyebrows to grow back........

Vacuum operated windshield wipers, hand operated choke cable, racheting emergency brake handle under the dash ( 1954 Ford Niagara) steering wheel mounted turn signals, fender mounted rear view mirrors ( 1964 Chrysler 300 D ) push button tranny, on the same car, with a 383 under the hood, ( screamer ) and the interior upholstery was sea green and gold brocade silk. The steering wheel on that 64 Chrysler was oval shaped, not round.

Rear wheel cruiser skirts, that had a hidden release wire, to take them off, so you could change a flat tire.

Car club rear bumper badges, and club jackets. Mine was purple and gold, for the Centennial Rod and Custom Club, first started in 1967, in Toronto. Club is still around, 48 years later.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Power antenna. It the status symbol in the 70s but what a disaster it was after a few years. They would invariably break and get stuck. They actually sold aftermarket kits and I was dumb enough to buy one. Wait ! They still sell them.

Amazon.com: Fully Automatic Universal Power Antenna: Automotive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive