Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
ESPN asking is Yao a Hall of Famer is an insult to every great NBA player who is currently a HOF. What the hell did he do to be eligible for the HOF? He only played 2 full seasons and after that did nothing but take up space on the floor.
The league recognizes individuals for their overall impact on the game. In the '90s, it was MJ who was driving Stern's global bus - this century, it was Yao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
yao will absolutely go in the hall. his numbers are not worthy but everything else he brought to the game will get him in for sure. the real question, in this stat happy world will yao make the 1st ballot? i am not so sure he will.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
The first two full seasons he played he could comprehend the game and kept falling down. And this is the man who is HOF worthy?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 AM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
A shoe in for 1st ballot. It will be a memorable and emotional moment 5yrs from now when he makes that speech. It could be the first time that over a billion people watch the HOF ceremony.

Not that i disagree with Marques Haynes being in the HOF, but if Yao doesn't get in, maybe we need to remove this guy. He formed the Harlem Globetrotters though they were impressive in going undefeated...

HOF= someone contributed significantly to the game of basketball in variety of ways and to make basketball a better sport .

Last edited by JL; 07-09-2011 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
It was his time to go especially with the lingering injuries. He was a great ambassador for the sport and will be hard to replace especially with his positive attitude.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
The most important thing is that he has opened up the door for more asian players to play in the NBA.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Last I hear he's going overseas to play.... talk about wasted potential.
yeah TMac was one of the biggest disappointments of the last decade for me...for a while there especially in the early days with Orlando I thought he was the best 2 guard in the NBA...better than Vince, Paul Pierce, and he could and did go toe to toe with Kobe...plus he had a great young coach in Doc Rivers (people seem to forget that now) only thing that let him down was Grant Hill getting injured year after year...

Then he got traded to Houston, finally had a decent player on his team (Yao) but then he just fell apart...I think the low part was when he talked about retiring at the age of 28 because he felt tired...Barkely and Magic tore him a new one for that...but he just couldnt seem to get it together in Houston and it's been downhill ever since. I would love to know the story behind his issues...

Old 07-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
The most important thing is that he has opened up the door for more asian players to play in the NBA.

I thought Yao was ok...the one thing I could say that as a number one pick he was not a bust...that is always the big danger with no 1 draft picks in any sport...if you suck then you get put on blast forever (ask Olowokandi if you dont believe me) He put up good numbers...although some of those silly all star votes where everyone in China boosted him in year after year tarnish his image a little bit for me...it wasnt his fault but it is what it is

But you are right in that he did open the door for Chinese players...and equally important, gave the NBA a foothold in Asia that no other league has...just look at the love the Redeem Team got during the Olympics...to me that might be the one thing that really saves the NBA going forward...for better or worse, the NBA will always be third best here in the US behind football and baseball...but if the NBA has the international market on lock then it wont matter what people here in the US like or dont like. No other league can say that. Although with how dumb the NBA can be sometimes, it wouldnt surprise me if they found a way to f that up, like with the lockout coming soon....

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
yeah TMac was one of the biggest disappointments of the last decade for me...for a while there especially in the early days with Orlando I thought he was the best 2 guard in the NBA...better than Vince, Paul Pierce, and he could and did go toe to toe with Kobe...plus he had a great young coach in Doc Rivers (people seem to forget that now) only thing that let him down was Grant Hill getting injured year after year...

Then he got traded to Houston, finally had a decent player on his team (Yao) but then he just fell apart...I think the low part was when he talked about retiring at the age of 28 because he felt tired...Barkely and Magic tore him a new one for that...but he just couldnt seem to get it together in Houston and it's been downhill ever since. I would love to know the story behind his issues...

And I'm sure having no help and a CLOWN for a center played no part in Tracy not leading the Rockets far in the playoffs

Old 07-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And I'm sure having no help and a CLOWN for a center played no part in Tracy not leading the Rockets far in the playoffs

You talking about Yao??? I wouldnt call him a clown...he was a decent center, definitely a top 5 center for the year (NOT ALL TIME) in his prime...and the one year TMac got injured Houston went to the second round, so I dont know that you can blame Yao for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball