Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I notice you didn't mention him playing with a Rose.

Just saying that a lot of Miami fans don't seem to like to bring up the fact that Howard to the Bulls is a very real possibility and would represent a HUGE threat to Miami for years to come. They prefer to project him going to the west or to a trade gutted team.

P.S. The problem with Orlando is age-matching. When Hedo and the others were still around their primes Howard was raw and developing. As he has developed they have dropped off. If you look at last years squad for Orlando it's pretty mediocre other than Howard. They still gave Atlanta a good fight and Atlanta gave the Bulls a good fight whom game Miami a good fight so in fairness Orlando was decent last year.
If Chicago got him, they would practically gut the team to get him. Orlando will move Hedo as part of that trade. Chicago doesn't want him, then he would be going somewhere else. By taking both, they would have to gut the roster dealing Noah, Deng, and potentially Gibson. Chicago in that instance to me would be getting worse, not better ala NY Knicks.

Though it is a longshot he ends up in Chicago... Orlando is trying to talk him into staying. If he still wants to go, they will deal most likely with NJ for Lopez and some draft picks and Howard/Hedo will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy
Maybe that was my actual unbiased opinion based on seeing him whine and complain to refs during games all the way from playing on the GA Stars to playing SACA to right now in the NBA for the Magic. I said he is a really nice guy, and he is pretty funny in terms of just cracking jokes and having a good time. But is he a beast? NO.
The complaints... Howard gets called for everything. Hand check. Foul. Clean Block. Foul. His competition on the other hand... Throw an elbow. No Call. Grab him around the neck. Non-Technical. While Howard does commit a good portion of the fouls, you would think everything would call the same on the other side of the ball... but it doesn't... so Howard has a right to ***** at the refs.

As for beast comment, so that is why no one can guard him one-on-one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If Chicago got him, they would practically gut the team to get him. Orlando will move Hedo as part of that trade. Chicago doesn't want him, then he would be going somewhere else. By taking both, they would have to gut the roster dealing Noah, Deng, and potentially Gibson. Chicago in that instance to me would be getting worse, not better ala NY Knicks.

Though it is a longshot he ends up in Chicago... Orlando is trying to talk him into staying. If he still wants to go, they will deal most likely with NJ for Lopez and some draft picks and Howard/Hedo will be gone.

The complaints... Howard gets called for everything. Hand check. Foul. Clean Block. Foul. His competition on the other hand... Throw an elbow. No Call. Grab him around the neck. Non-Technical. While Howard does commit a good portion of the fouls, you would think everything would call the same on the other side of the ball... but it doesn't... so Howard has a right to ***** at the refs.

As for beast comment, so that is why no one can guard him one-on-one
Asik has a lot of trade value as well so perhaps Noah, Asik, Gibson and a pick or two might work. I'd REALLY like to keep Deng as he is the 2nd best player on the Bulls.

I agree with your comments except for the knicks one. The Knicks are screwed because their 2 big names are infamously soft defenders.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
I think to a certain extent, him and LeBron both play soft when they should be more agressive. As far as their athletic ability, they're two of the top five in the league. They both seem to have a good knowledge of the game. However, I don't think they always play agressive enough. It'd also help them both to shoot better from the free throw line too.

That's the key. Both players weakness, causes them to be hesitant at the most crucial times. Their freethrow. They have "mental" issues with the free throw line. This is why they are not "clutch" in a lot of peoples mind is because of this..

Neither player is soft. They just fear the line to get their points..

Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
[/u]

That's the key. Both players weakness, causes them to be hesitant at the most crucial times. Their freethrow. They have "mental" issues with the free throw line. This is why they are not "clutch" in a lot of peoples mind is because of this..

Neither player is soft. They just fear the line to get their points..
Huh? Lebron shot 76% from the FT in the playoffs last season and flat out KILLED my Bulls from there in the last 3 games of that series going 9/9, 11/11 and 9/11.

He shot 12/20 vs. Dallas but that I think is more credit to Dallas and their defensive schemes limiting Lebrons freethrows in favor of Wade getting inside more.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Lebron had mental issues in the finals period, not just freethrows. He did not want to shoot, he played hot potato with the ball. Or he would dribble 20 times and then jack up a three....
If he had Jordans head, he'd be Jordan or better, but he doesnt.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
When I mean soft, I OBVIOUSLY mean mentally. Both James and Howard are huge men especially for their positions. Yea Howard is stronger physically but he doesn't dunk anywhere near as often as he should. Same thing applies for James. Making more muscles doesn't mean you are tough, trust me. I've had friends...pretty buff dudes get beat up by average dudes. Muscles don't mean much in any physical setting, just ask anyone who studies MMA. It's all about tactic and form.

Howard did not do well against Perkins. I never said Perkins or Collins scored anywhere near as much. Bunch of you decided that's what I meant. He got punked by two inferior players, scoring less and fouling more. Every time the Magic played the Celtics in the playoffs, Howard constantly got into foul trouble.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Howard did not do well against Perkins. I never said Perkins or Collins scored anywhere near as much. Bunch of you decided that's what I meant. He got punked by two inferior players, scoring less and fouling more. Every time the Magic played the Celtics in the playoffs, Howard constantly got into foul trouble.
Really bizarre that you mention 2 guys punking Howard and then reference the playoffs but SKIPPED this year when Howard utterly destroyed one of the guys you are talking about.

Go look at the Atlanta series, 6 games....maybe start with game 1 where

Atlanta Hawks at Orlando Magic Box Score, April 16, 2011 | Basketball-Reference.com

Dwight dropped 46 pts and 19 rebounds, 70% FG.
Collins fouled out in 17minutes.
Collins had 1 pt. no rebounds and 1 turnover.
Dwight had more rebounds than the top 3 atlanta players (combined)
Offensive rebounds: Dwight 6, Atlanta 5

Are you confusing Josh Howard with Dwight Howard or something?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
and did anyone watch the cavs series where the other teams main strategy was to basically murder lebron?

seriously - go look at any of the wizards/cavs playoff series and then come back and call him soft

it's flat wrong

Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 AM

WIZARDS!?

Did you just seriously use the Wizards as your point? Come on now...

And yea, use the series the Magic were suppose to win but lost. Yea, great logic there.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 AM

NBA Playoffs 2011: Ranking Kevin Durant and Playoffs' Top 4th-Quarter Players | Bleacher Report

Best playoff stats I could find for you stat nerds. Look, I'd LOVE Howard to get that clutch/leadership gene but he just doesn't have it. there is no way he is staying in Orlando. The Cavs and Magic have has extremely similar roster changes to please their star. Every time they made changes, the team did worse and worse with each season after making the finals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball