Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 09:16 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think the Raps/Rockets games this year have given fans a terrific preview of what would be a wonderfully exciting NBA Final.

And a nice change from the ho-hum usuals, great as they were/are/may be.

Of course the NBA can't admit this but they would probably prefer a Houston/Golden State vs Cleveland or Houston/Golden State vs Boston NBA Finals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 09:20 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
A Houston/Toronto would probably be low rated because

1. Lebron is not in the Finals

2. Golden State don't get to add to their dominance and create a dynasty.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:35 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
I think we all know what's going to happen. Cavs are going to finish the 3-4 seed, the talking heads on TV are going to tell us all that Lebron ain't beating Boston or Toronto, then he cruises through the east and gets to the finals yet again. Especially when they get Kevin Love back.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:55 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
A Houston/Toronto would probably be low rated because

1. Lebron is not in the Finals

2. Golden State don't get to add to their dominance and create a dynasty.
Chris Paul and Harden would carry some weight.

If the Rockets play their style of game, it will be entertaining and would bring more to the table.

The best thing for popularity would be a GSW/Hou Western Final. Whomever wins that would carry that fanfare to the Finals.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM

10,765 posts, read 4,349,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I think we all know what's going to happen. Cavs are going to finish the 3-4 seed, the talking heads on TV are going to tell us all that Lebron ain't beating Boston or Toronto, then he cruises through the east and gets to the finals yet again. Especially when they get Kevin Love back.
There ALWAYS comes a point where history doesn't repeat itself.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Interesting stretch of games for the Rockets coming up.

They just played the Thunder, Raptors, and Mavs.

Now (other than the Thunder) they have the remainder of the teams placed 3-8 in the Western Conf coming in successive games.

Mar 12 SA
Mar 15 LAC
Mar 17 @NO
Mar 18 @MIN
Mar 20 @POR

Meanwhile GSW has this... which could make a dent in that 1.5 game deficit.

Mar 14 LAL
Mar 16 SAC
Mar 17 @PHO
Mar 19 @SA
Mar 23 ATL

Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Yep, and despite his range, mobility is essential.
It makes me appreciate Chris Paul's longevity.
I think a lot of people were ready to rate Curry ahead of Chris Paul historically, but I definitely don't.
Chris Paul got a bunch of flak for hurting his quad in the playoffs when the Clips fell to the Rockets in '15. Injuries happen. CP3 is a great player, but Curry is clearly above him in history as of today--2 MVPs and 2 titles will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The Rockets was still able to maintain their lead over the warriors since they lost to Portland last night. I still think they need to get about 3 to 4 game lead if they are going to win the west because the warriors are just that good.
If it wasn't already obvious, the 1 seed is wrapped up. Now 3-8 can sort themselves out in the West and we can get down to business.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they need a 1 game lead to win the west (which they currently have, assuming their 1 extra game left to play compared to the Warriors is a win). Not to mention the Warriors are so much worse without Curry. You can't really act like Houston is in trouble after winning 17 out of 18.
It's all academic until the WCF for these two teams. The Warriors just need to get healthy.

Quote:
Actually I think the Rockets already have an 1-game cushion effectively since they beat GS 2 out of 3 this year and would win the tiebreaker. Not saying they're a lock, and certainly a 3-4 game lead would be good to win it comfortably, but they don't need to win it comfortably. Anyway, this could very well get to 2-3 games if Curry doesn't come back soon.

I think the 1 seed matters less in having to win an extra road game compared to who you face during the 2nd round. Would you rather face Portland, or New Orleans/Oklahoma? Even if there's no real risk of losing the 2nd round (which isn't the case), it would be nice to get to the 3rd round after a 5-game set nice and rested instead of being dragged out to game 7.
Neither the Rockets nor the Warriors have any concern about Portland, New Orleans, or OKC. The only team either of them will sweat for is the Spurs if Kawhi comes back ready to play. The rest of the West will be fortunate to snag a game against the 2 contenders.

Quote:
I think you are right. I'm holding out hope for the Raps to be real this time, but we won't know until the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting stretch of games for the Rockets coming up.

They just played the Thunder, Raptors, and Mavs.

Now (other than the Thunder) they have the remainder of the teams placed 3-8 in the Western Conf coming in successive games.

Mar 12 SA
Mar 15 LAC
Mar 17 @NO
Mar 18 @MIN
Mar 20 @POR

Meanwhile GSW has this... which could make a dent in that 1.5 game deficit.

Mar 14 LAL
Mar 16 SAC
Mar 17 @PHO
Mar 19 @SA
Mar 23 ATL
The Rox have the one seed. There's virtually no chance they lose it now--with Curry resting, the Warriors are a playoff team, but not a historically dominant team--they're going to lose more games.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
There ALWAYS comes a point where history doesn't repeat itself.
After 3 years perhaps all the bandwagon Warriors/Cavs (Lebron) fans can jump ship while tickets are cheap on the Celtics/Rockets/Raptors express.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
After 3 years perhaps all the bandwagon Warriors/Cavs (Lebron) fans can jump ship while tickets are cheap on the Celtics/Rockets/Raptors express.
I don't think the Celtics are in the conversation at this point. I hope the Raptors can challenge BJ in the playoffs. I know Rox/Dubs will be epic.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 PM

525 posts, read 279,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ugh, Hayward, fractured left ankle.
That was one of the most gruesome injuries I have ever seen. I really hope Hayward will be alright. Praying that he'll come back stronger than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball