Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,693,876 times

Advertisements

I don't see how he can ever go back to the Spurs and be a trusted and respected member of that team again; I just can't come up with any scenario where that is possible. His teammates almost certainly feel that he has abandoned them.

I think the Spurs' only choice would be to trade him. The problem with trading him is that any team that trades for him is going to want to have a contract extension basically in place before signing off on the trade. That is what could really make this difficult, as Leonard will basically be able to tell the Spurs where he wants to go.

One suggestion has been offering Leonard to Boston for Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown, plus possibly at least a 1st rounder. I don't think Boston would be willing to give up both Tatum and Brown in a trade. From Boston, I think realistically I would try to get Jayson Tatum, Terry Rozier and two first round picks. Boston would probably be hesitant to do that deal, as they really like Tatum and they wouldn't want to lose the draft picks but combining Leonard with their current core would likely make them the favorite to win it all at least once in the next few years.

Draft pick-wise, if I were the Spurs I would have conditions built in that ensures that the draft picks are fairly high 1st rounders. For example, I wouldn't be interested in Boston's 2018 1st rounder, as it is the 27th overall. I might be interested in the Lakers' 1st rounder this year, if it ends up with Boston or in the future 1st rounder that Boston is getting from Memphis to finish off the Jeff Green trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Really, no one knows what is going on behind the scenes other than Kawhi and the Spurs organization. It could be both sides realized this was a lost season either way, and expect for the organization to come back strong next season. No one else can offer him what the Spurs can right now, and this may just be a statement for them to not take him for granted as the future of their franchise, post-Duncan.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Kawhi could have handled this situation much better of course, and he left his teammates hanging when they needed him most especially after Pop's wife passed away. I mean, he didn't even show up on the sidelines during the playoffs.

The Spurs are a proud organization that prides itself on integrity and professionalism, and in an ideal world, they would kick Kawhi to the curb.

But the pursuit of winning and retaining a superstar player trumps any sense of morality or integrity, and I suspect the Spurs organization will do whatever it takes to smooth things out with Leonard to offer him a max contract. The Spurs fans like most in our society are quick to forgive and will gladly welcome back Leonard to the Spurs if this happens.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Kawhi could have handled this situation much better of course, and he left his teammates hanging when they needed him most especially after Pop's wife passed away. I mean, he didn't even show up on the sidelines during the playoffs.

The Spurs are a proud organization that prides itself on integrity and professionalism, and in an ideal world, they would kick Kawhi to the curb.

But the pursuit of winning and retaining a superstar player trumps any sense of morality or integrity, and I suspect the Spurs organization will do whatever it takes to smooth things out with Leonard to offer him a max contract. The Spurs fans like most in our society are quick to forgive and will gladly welcome back Leonard to the Spurs if this happens.
I'm not sold on an injured player not being on the sidelines being some shake in the foundations of a team. He couldn't play. We don't know if or how he communicated with Pop after Pop's wife passed away. We don't know if they have that kind of relationship.

What we do know is that the Spurs organization has been sniping at Kawhi and his medical team in the press. It's not a sign of good health (pun intended). If Buford can get Paul George, then I can see the Spurs moving Kawhi. If not, I just don't see justifiable moves and I think the Spurs have to offer a max.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I'm not sold on an injured player not being on the sidelines being some shake in the foundations of a team. He couldn't play. We don't know if or how he communicated with Pop after Pop's wife passed away. We don't know if they have that kind of relationship.

What we do know is that the Spurs organization has been sniping at Kawhi and his medical team in the press. It's not a sign of good health (pun intended). If Buford can get Paul George, then I can see the Spurs moving Kawhi. If not, I just don't see justifiable moves and I think the Spurs have to offer a max.
Regardless, it just doesn't look good for Kawhi to not to have been there in person for his teammates. Before end of regular season, the Spurs had a team meeting and Parker was vocal about how he played with a worse injury (than Leonard's), the implication being very clear. I doubt his teammates are too thrilled with the entire situation, and by now it's very clear something is off about this whole relationship.

But like I said I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a max offer.

Report: Kawhi Leonard to return to San Antonio around exit interviews

Old 04-28-2018, 07:08 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times
Spurs don't have any young superstars. Their big 3 are done.

Duncan left. Manu Ginóbili and Tony Parker are near retirement.

Kawhi is their superstar. LaMarcus Aldridge is near the end of his contract.

If he leaves then the Spurs will need to pay a big contract to draw a superstar. I feel Kawhi wants out since the Spurs can't attract big names to join him. Manu and Tony are going to retire soon and then it will be Kawhi by himself. Gregg Popovich's tenure with the team is also in question with the passing of his wife.

Maybe he joins the Lakers with Paul George and Lebron James. (although, i doubt that Lebron joins the Lakers. I feel he will go to the Heat, Rockets or stay in Cleveland.)

Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
I heard a sports talk guy say today that Peter Vescey is reporting that Kawhi is going to be shipped out by S.A. The guy said that he regarded Peter as a very reliable source.

What about trading Kawhi to Cleveland for the lottery pick they have this year (originally of the Nets)? Of course, Cleveland would first have to get commitment from LeBron to stay in Cleveland. If they could get that and Kawhi--voila, instant title contender. LeBron maybe has 2-3 good years left, so they could potentially compete for 3 titles. I think in the NBA if you have a chance like that, you go for it. LeBron and Kawhi are both small forwards, but LeBron could play any position, so I think that would work out.

S.A. is going to have to do a major rebuild, so getting a lottery pick this year should appeal to them.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:50 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Spurs don't have any young superstars. Their big 3 are done.

Duncan left. Manu Ginóbili and Tony Parker are near retirement.

Kawhi is their superstar. LaMarcus Aldridge is near the end of his contract.

If he leaves then the Spurs will need to pay a big contract to draw a superstar. I feel Kawhi wants out since the Spurs can't attract big names to join him. Manu and Tony are going to retire soon and then it will be Kawhi by himself. Gregg Popovich's tenure with the team is also in question with the passing of his wife.

Maybe he joins the Lakers with Paul George and Lebron James. (although, i doubt that Lebron joins the Lakers. I feel he will go to the Heat, Rockets or stay in Cleveland.)
I hope the bolded happens. I'm a 50+ year Warriors and Lakers fan, and a 10 year Rockets fan (I live in the Houston metro). I have a soft spot for Cleveland, and If the Warriors couldn't win another championship in 2016, I'm glad the team from the East that beat them was Cleveland. If the Celtics never win another championship, that would be fine with me. My affection toward the Spurs ended when Duncan retired. If George, James, and Leonard all go to the Lakers, and Durant stays with the Warriors and signs a max deal, we could hit quite a period where no team other than the Warriors, Rockets, or Lakers wins the title.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:20 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
^No offense, but you sound like a typical Laker fan. Out of all those, I bet only (overrated) George goes to the Lakers. And I’m just laughing out loud at the idea the Lakers are a future chsmpionship team over the Celtics.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:40 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,693,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I don't see how he can ever go back to the Spurs and be a trusted and respected member of that team again; I just can't come up with any scenario where that is possible. His teammates almost certainly feel that he has abandoned them.

I think the Spurs' only choice would be to trade him. The problem with trading him is that any team that trades for him is going to want to have a contract extension basically in place before signing off on the trade. That is what could really make this difficult, as Leonard will basically be able to tell the Spurs where he wants to go.

One suggestion has been offering Leonard to Boston for Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown, plus possibly at least a 1st rounder. I don't think Boston would be willing to give up both Tatum and Brown in a trade. From Boston, I think realistically I would try to get Jayson Tatum, Terry Rozier and two first round picks. Boston would probably be hesitant to do that deal, as they really like Tatum and they wouldn't want to lose the draft picks but combining Leonard with their current core would likely make them the favorite to win it all at least once in the next few years.

Draft pick-wise, if I were the Spurs I would have conditions built in that ensures that the draft picks are fairly high 1st rounders. For example, I wouldn't be interested in Boston's 2018 1st rounder, as it is the 27th overall. I might be interested in the Lakers' 1st rounder this year, if it ends up with Boston or in the future 1st rounder that Boston is getting from Memphis to finish off the Jeff Green trade.

Well, with the way that Terry Rozier is playing, I think there is almost no chance that Boston would ever do Tatum & Rozier for Leonard, much less include a draft pick as well. Rozier will be a really interesting situation to watch, as I don't think Boston is going to be able to afford to keep him long-term and I doubt he will be happy being a backup to Kyrie after the way he's played in the playoffs. I imagine Boston will be fielding calls from guard-needy teams around the league this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball