Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
That's not accurate. In WNY there are 4 Congressional districts, 2 are Republican leaning, 2 are Democrat leaning.

There is NY-29 (Southern tier) which is R +5, NY -28 (Parts of Buffalo and Rochester) which is D +15, NY-27 (Part of Buffalo, and part of the Southern tier) which is D +4, and NY -26 (suburbs of Buffalo, Rochester, and parts of the Southern tier) is R +6.

If you add all those together it makes the area D +8. Not 90% as the Buffalo News has endorsed.

Besides the fact that the Buffalo News is far more to the left than its readership, should that truly affect the ostensibly fact based content? The Buffalo News should try and be as impartial outside the pages of its op eds as possible.
What exactly is 'far more to the left' than its readership? Please provide examples.

According to the Erie County Board of Elections website, there are 293,034 registered Democrats, and 155,340 registered Republicans, nearly 2 to 1. There are also only 11,465 registered Conservatives, which is less than 2% of the electorate.

Regarding the congressional districts, the News endorsed the eventual winners of 27th, 28th, and 29th, which were all won by Democrats. That's 3 out of 4 actual Democratic districts, not just 'leaning.'

The 26th district was won by a repub, and that was the only congressional endorsement that was not made by the News. That race was also much closer in Erie County than the overall district. Overall vote was about 60/40.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,571 times
ote=Canerican;11433746]That's not accurate. In WNY there are 4 Congressional districts, 2 are Republican leaning, 2 are Democrat leaning.

There is NY-29 (Southern tier) which is R +5, NY -28 (Parts of Buffalo and Rochester) which is D +15, NY-27 (Part of Buffalo, and part of the Southern tier) which is D +4, and NY -26 (suburbs of Buffalo, Rochester, and parts of the Southern tier) is R +6.

If you add all those together it makes the area D +8. Not 90% as the Buffalo News has endorsed.

Besides the fact that the Buffalo News is far more to the left than its readership, should that truly affect the ostensibly fact based content? The Buffalo News should try and be as impartial outside the pages of its op eds as possible.[/quote]You are so wrong it's laughable. For this years elections 10 of the 13 endorsements made by the Buffalo News are for the Republican candidate. Your lack of knowledge regarding the topics you comment on is chronic and renders them irrelevant. Almost all of the 'facts' you post appear to be made up - from your comments about the paper to your trying to pawn off pictures of the Atlanta ghetto as being of Buffalo. You should quit while you are behind.

Political endorsements provide a reality check : Margaret Sullivan : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/247/story/846588.html - broken link)

Old 11-01-2009, 11:45 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,613 times
I guess they caught on to the criticism of their paper and decided that for the first time in 70 years to endorse a plurality of Republicans!

Awesome! And thank you for carrying the water of the Buffalo News, they need errand boys like you to resemble a legitimate media operation, not operatives of the Working Families Party, Emily's List, or ACORN.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I guess they caught on to the criticism of their paper and decided that for the first time in 70 years to endorse a plurality of Republicans!

Awesome! And thank you for carrying the water of the Buffalo News, they need errand boys like you to resemble a legitimate media operation, not operatives of the Working Families Party, Emily's List, or ACORN.
"The WFP was launched with the agenda of well-paying jobs, affordable housing, accessible health care, better public schools and more investment in public services."

You are right. The News should oppose all of these things...

"EMILY's List was founded in 1985, when 25 women met in the home of Ellen Malcolm. Their goal was to form a network to raise money for pro-choice female candidates. The network was designed to provide its members with information about candidates and encourage them to write checks directly to the candidates."

Information about candidates...heaven forbid the News should provide such things!

"The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) is a collection of community-based organizations in the United States that advocate for low- and moderate-income families by working on neighborhood safety, voter registration, health care, affordable housing, and other social issues."

Advocate for low and moderate income families? How dare they!

Buffalonians are, in my experience, personally more conservative in their own behavior, and politically more liberal than people in Bible Belt areas. I see this as a result of the predominant Catholicism of the region, where both personal and community responsibilities are emphasized. There are a high number of people who oppose divorce and abortion, but nevertheless recognize that these are personal decisions to make and should not belong to the State.

Last edited by RocketSci; 11-01-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Under the Butler Family ownership through the late 1970's the News was Staunchly Republican so much so that President Eisenhower personally launched their then new presses in 1957

Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Under the Butler Family ownership through the late 1970's the News was Staunchly Republican so much so that President Eisenhower personally launched their then new presses in 1957
Despite the Buffalo News endorsing Adlai Stevenson (twice).

And RocketSci, I'm not saying that those things are bad per se (despite the WFP and especially ACORN's tendencies to get caught up in voter fraud).

I'm saying that the Buffalo News ought to try and seem like a real unbiased news organization rather than a publication with strong biases towards far left Democrat Party oriented organizations.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:

And RocketSci, I'm not saying that those things are bad per se (despite the WFP and especially ACORN's tendencies to get caught up in voter fraud).

I'm saying that the Buffalo News ought to try and seem like a real unbiased news organization rather than a publication with strong biases towards far left Democrat Party oriented organizations.
When I was younger "far left" meant radical communism, and now "far left" means anyone with a social conscience?? Nixon proposed universal health care and froze wages - no one ever accused him of being a commie.

And it is "Democratic Party" not Democrat party. And how is the Democratic party "far left" - it is the MAJORITY party, which plants it in the center, and even right of where it was 15 or 20 years ago.

Regarding ACORN "voter fraud", the fraud was in registration as reported by ACORN itself. There was no "voter" fraud. The registration issues were identified by ACORN, and prosecution was pursued based on data provided by the organization. The so called ACORN issue is a straw man set up by radical right wingers and their water carriers to prevent registration of likely democratic voters. ACORN actually registered anyone and did not limit registrations to one political party, it just so happens that the majority of lower income minority citizens tend to vote Democratic.

What's the issue with the WFP? 33 absentee votes thrown out? Hardly a swing to an election, and is the entire organization responsible?

And it's not as if the News didn't report on these issues anyway. I just wish more news space could be spent on addressing real issues and not political wrangling.

Finally, regarding the "bias" of the News, I have heard it said the "truth has a liberal bias." I would prefer the truth, wherever it takes us.

In God We Trust
All others bring data.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
And it is "Democratic Party" not Democrat party. And how is the Democratic party "far left" - it is the MAJORITY party, which plants it in the center, and even right of where it was 15 or 20 years ago.
I call it the Democrat Party, because there is little democratic about that party.

Quote:
Regarding ACORN "voter fraud", the fraud was in registration...
Never mind the ACORN officials (some high level too) indicted in NV, IN, MD, VA, PA, and OH. Not all the cases were self reported as you infer...

Quote:
Finally, regarding the "bias" of the News, I have heard it said the "truth has a liberal bias." I would prefer the truth, wherever it takes us.
Right, so any Conservative view is a lie... So, you are admitting that the Buffalo News is indeed a far left news organization perpetrating the talking points of the Democrat Party and people on the far left?

Quote:
What's the issue with the WFP? 33 absentee votes thrown out? Hardly a swing to an election, and is the entire organization responsible?
Not only the 33 fraudulent registrations (if the GOP faked 33 registrations don't you think it would be big news?) And yes, 33 votes are enough to swing elections in cities of 7000, where only 2000 will turn out on election. Saying ONLY 33 votes is like staying, "I robbed a bank, but only got away with $33, when I could have gotten away with $5,000, so really, it's not so bad."

Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I call it the Democrat Party, because there is little democratic about that party.
I see it as a sign of disrespect and radical right-wing code to other radical right wing koolaid drinkers. I don't see the Republican party acting in a manner which befits representative government, as the party's goal is to disenfranchise anyone who does not 100% agree with their radical platform. The party would rather bring in a carpetbagger than actually allow a candidate who was selected by the local electorate and who represents the majority interest. But I will still call it the Republican party (out of respect for Mr. Lincoln).

Quote:
Never mind the ACORN officials (some high level too) indicted in NV, IN, MD, VA, PA, and OH. Not all the cases were self reported as you infer...
The high ACORN officials were indicted for allowing the fraud to occur by lower level employees, not for committing the fraud. Ever heard of Lincoln Strategies, formerly Sproul and Associates? No? Former Rep. Chris Cannon (R-UT), during a hearing on voter fraud, admitted that “the difference between ACORN and Sproul is that ACORN doesn’t throw away or change registration documents after they have been filled out.” Lincoln actually destroyed Democratic applications, yet they are still hired by Republican and so-called conservative organizations to perform work! Even Wal-Mart threw them out of their stores, but not the Republican Party! I fail to see the right wing outrage for actually denying someone the right to vote as opposed to imaginary registrations.

Quote:
Right, so any Conservative view is a lie... So, you are admitting that the Buffalo News is indeed a far left news organization perpetrating the talking points of the Democrat Party and people on the far left?
As far as I am concerned yes, 98% of the time the so called "Conservative" view is a lie. It is all a bid for political power, and the supporters are nothing but "useful idiots" to the people in real power, those with the money. The difference between the Republicans and Democrats is at least the Democrats throw a few bones to average people, while the Republicans try to take it away.

And as far as admitting that the News is far left, did you not read what I just posted? It is MODERATE CENTER (I used all caps so maybe you can read it this time). It represents the MAJORITY of the citizens of Erie County. By definition the majority cannot be far left or right.

I will admit I am conservative in lifestyle and moderate in politics. I do not support any individual political party, and I never will. I try not to live hypocritically, and I believe in treating everyone as I wish to be treated. I believe government intervention in private affairs is wrong, but that the role of government is to provide for the general welfare of all of its citizens, not only those of a certain political party or possessed with a certain level of material wealth. I have lived long enough to know that I will never be rich, and my goal is to never be poor. For the last 30 years the separation of rich and poor in this country has grown to such an extent that I am afraid the middle class may disappear in my children's lifetime, and the promotion of policies which result in a further skew of wealth a few individuals is morally wrong. It is not redistribution of wealth which this country needs, but sustainable distribution. That is not radical or far left, but the basis of the economic system that this country maintained until the 1970s, and represented the peak of our economic and political power.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Once again you are making up facts. Here is a link citing the strong republican connections of the Buffalo News and it's long time managing editor Alfred H. Kirchofer to the Republican Party. Read the book and you will see how intertwined with the Republican Party the Buffalo News has been over most of it's existance.
Flipkart.com: From Butler To Buffett: Murray B. Light, Warren E. Buffett: Books Buy Warren Buffet And Butler in India (http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:xFEmce-LYh0J:www.flipkart.com/butler-buffett-murray-light-warren/1591021804-5sx3f9pp6v+%22Republican+Party%22+%22Alfred+H.+Kir chhofer%22&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

By the way the Buffalo News did NOT endorse Stevenson. Here is a link citing their endorsement of Eisenhower. You are so lame with your lack of credibility that I only reply to you for the fun of making mock.

http://www.archive.org/stream/slante...87mbp_djvu.txt

Scroll down to section 12 and you will see the following:

Evening Papers

BUFFALO EVENING NEWS

1 952 circulation 287,1 1 6 (30th in U.S.)

1 950 area population 1 ,089,000 (1 4th in U.S.)

Called itself politically Independent-Republican

Editorially endorsed Eisenhower

Chain affiliation None

Companion paper None (no Sunday edition)

Wire services Associated Press, Chicago Daily News,

Last edited by donbuy; 11-01-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area