Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
Living in the western side of Austin, I can say that there are many Californians moving specifically to Austin.
Austin has the reputation of being the most liberal city in Texas, which is interesting, since I see Houston as being by far the most liberal city in Texas. I don't think Sheila Jackson Lee gets elected in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Austin has the reputation of being the most liberal city in Texas, which is interesting, since I see Houston as being by far the most liberal city in Texas. I don't think Sheila Jackson Lee gets elected in Austin.
It is very strange that it has that reputation. I lived in Houston for 44 years and yes it is by far the most liberal city in Texas. I lived in Austin for 1.8 years being told it was a very liberal city but that is not what I observed while living there. There is absolutely zero cultural diversity and hardly any progressiveness to the city as a whole.

Houston rocks! The best city in Texas and the 4th largest in the US!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 PM

136 posts, read 328,644 times
Quote:
Oh I agree... Austin is not nearly as liberal as many people think. I'm from Houston (resident for 25 years), and there is clearly much more diversity in Houston than Austin - and certainly more so than when I last lived there in the 90's.

Perhaps Austin has earned this liberal label due to 6th Street, the smoke shops and the fact that the news media openly portray motorists who accidentally hit bicyclists who stray into the middle the road as "murderers."

Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
You realize Sheila Jackson Lee is an idiot, right? She survives in politics by playing the race card constantly, and relies on stunts like showing up at the funerals of African Americans in her district to "show support?" She tried to get Congress to pass a resolution honoring Michael Jackson.

Houston has a lesbian mayor. And it has a small light rail system. It voted slightly more for Bill White (former Houston mayor) than Rick Perry in the last governor's race. It is more diverse, no doubt. But more liberal? I don't agree.

I think Austin's liberalness is over stated. Compared to Texas as a whole, it is liberal. Compared to Portland or San Francisco it is conservative.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

Houston rocks! The best city in Texas and the 4th largest in the US!
Going to have to disagree with you there. There is nothing redeeming about Houston. It's the Los Angeles of the southwest.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
The liberalness of Texas cities sounds like a great topic for the Texas forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/

Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The liberalness of Texas cities sounds like a great topic for the Texas forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/
I see what you did there.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Going to have to disagree with you there. There is nothing redeeming about Houston. It's the Los Angeles of the southwest.
Then we agree to disagree

I love Houston and always will. That is my home sweet home.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Then we agree to disagree

I love Houston and always will. That is my home sweet home.
I still say San Antonio and Austin are where its at in TX.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
No thanks. We are too focused on the budget deficit and making sure our legislators are getting paid for not passing the budget on time.

Dan Walters: California vs. Texas provides very stark job comparison - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/26/3727778/dan-walters-california-vs-texas.html - broken link)
It's because CA attracts more people, including all of the scum. When people talk about making it big or living out their dreams or even finding themselves, CA is their destination--not Texas or most other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California