Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM

307 posts, read 981,098 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I currently live in the Front Range in Colorado (Fort Collins to Pueblo) but grew up in the Sacramento area of California until about 3 years ago. I am currently considering a move back to CA but to the Bakersfield to Fresno area.

I wanted to know from those familiar with the Front Range area and the Bakersfield to Fresno area how they compare in the quality of life as well as how this area of CA compares to the Sacto/Gold Country area which I am more familiar with. I wanted to visit the Bakersfield area but cannot, so am looking for as much info as I can get before deciding.

The issues of primary concern would be revolving around quality of life. For instance: smog, crime, population density, traffic, poverty/economy, natural resources like mountain/forest access and quality, as well as parks and lakes etc. etc., and whatever else one might think of.

I mostly want to live near Bakersfield, but not in it. So my choices are nearby rural communities between Bakersfield and Fresno but as close to Bakersfield as possible, but am willing to travel a little ways there to live in a good community. If you could comment on these communities between Bakersfield and Fresno, which are better and why, that would be excellent. I have been looking into areas like Porterville, Tulare, Wasco, Visalia, Arvin, Delano, Lindsay, Exeter, Woodlake, Tehachapi etc. etc. But I am open to any credit and discredit and suggestion regarding communities in this area, as well as quality of life compared to where I am now.

Please feel free to ask any questions to help the process. Much help is greatly needed as I am NOT able to visit before I make a decision. I really want to come home to CA but have been made aware of many of the issues facing the state these days and it seems troubling. I am constantly running into people who have moved here or elsewhere trying to get out of CA for various reasons. Please be descript to help with my decisions. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by countryway; 08-09-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Hi all. I currently live in the Front Range in Colorado (Fort Collins to Pueblo) but grew up in the Sacramento area of California until about 3 years ago. I am currently considering a move back to CA but to the Bakersfield to Fresno area.

I wanted to know from those familiar with the Front Range area and the Bakersfield to Fresno area how they compare in the quality of life as well as how this area of CA compares to the Sacto/Gold Country area which I am more familiar with. I wanted to visit the Bakersfield area but cannot, so am looking for as much info as I can get before deciding.

The issues of primary concern would be revolving around quality of life. For instance: smog, crime, population density, traffic, poverty/economy, natural resources like mountain/forest access and quality, as well as parks and lakes etc. etc., and whatever else one might think of.

I mostly want to live near Bakersfield, but not in it. So my choices are nearby rural communities between Bakersfield and Fresno but as close to Bakersfield as possible, but am willing to travel a little ways there to live in a good community. If you could comment on these communities between Bakersfield and Fresno, which are better and why, that would be excellent.

Please feel free to ask any questions to help the process. Much help is greatly needed as I am NOT able to visit before I make a decision. I really want to come home to CA but have been made aware of many of the issues facing the state these days and it seems troubling. I am constantly running into people who have moved here or elsewhere trying to get out of CA for various reasons. Please be descript to help with my decisions. Thank you for your help.

Between Visalia/Tulare and Bakersfield, there aren't many viable towns I'd choose to live in.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
I used to live on the Palmer Divide between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock. Cold, Windy, icy roads, beautiful, thunderstorms, nice neighborhoods, no crime, little to no diversity (except in Denver), relaxed, spread out, never hot, strong military presence in the Springs.

What is your job situation? What line of work are you in?
Buying or renting? Budget?
Where is your family (parents, etc) located? Other support network?
Married?
Kids? Ages?
Why do you want to leave?
How can anyone live on the Front Range - its hundreds of miles long. Where do you live? Pueblo is very different from the Springs which is different from Denver which is different from Fort Collins.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:20 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
How can anyone live on the Front Range - its hundreds of miles long. Where do you live? Pueblo is very different from the Springs which is different from Denver which is different from Fort Collins.
Same goes for everything between Bakersfield and Sacramento. (Are you the female half of Charles?)

OP, why don't you want to live in Bakersfield? In general, the quality of life along the Front Range far exceeds the Central Valley.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In general, the quality of life along the Front Range far exceeds the Central Valley.
Concur. Like others have commented, am puzzled as to the intention of moving to an area considered one of the least desirable in California. If forced to choose one of the options given, would pick Tehachapi, hands down, but it is a bit isolated and a long commute to Bakersfield or Lancaster. Being from Sacramento the OP should be familiar with the Gold Country and Sierra foothill communities east of Sac. Good quality of life in many of them. Lots of threads and posts about these small towns on the Sacramento forum.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 PM

134 posts, read 296,867 times
Man, I have to warn you that you'd better stay in where you, and not consider any place around Bakersfield if you can. Here are the Pros and Cons (I moved here 10 years ago.)
Pros:
1. Close to a lot of fun places-L.A., the central coast, Las Vegas, Yosemite, -for a weekend's plan.
2. Living expenses are lower than the rest of the state.
3. low level oil jobs are not too hard to get if you are in this field.

Con:
1. Horrible air quality for the most of a year, especially June, July, and August. Half the town smells cow poop for many days.
2. Scorching dry heat in the summer, but not too bad at night; however, outdoor activities should be limited at night thanks to its nasty air quality.
2. High unemployment rate. (15%~17% solid for long time)
3. boring place in general, and teens go to a local shopping mall to hang out.
4. The majority of the people are very, very ,very narrow-minded due to poor education. (yes, statistics support this conclusion)
5. Unsafe town, shooting and murdering covers the news almost everyday.(it is unproportional for this town with a 300,000 population.
6. Most schools here are among the worst.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 PM

I will try to address the above posters concerning their statements and questions.

proudmommy: I stated in my post that the reason I want to leave and come there is because I miss my home state. My family will all be with me. My job situation is of no concern. I am also a musician and expect to find plenty of Country Music opportunities in the Bakersfield area. When I say the "Front Range" it is what we refer to as the area from Fort Collins to Pueblo. I have lived and travel up and down the Front Range. The Central Valley of CA is very long too and was doing a comparison between the both, however I am very familiar with the Sacto area, but not further south than Merced. I live currently in Fort Collins.

David Aguilar: I don't want to live in Bakersfield, because it is too big of a city.

Black Shoe: I was raised in the Sacto/San Joaquin Valley area and lived there for 25 years. I am not sure if you are referring to this area as "one of the worst" but if so I respectfully disagree. I have never lived in Sacramento but in surrounding areas, in much smaller communities within an hour or less away, that were wonderful places to live and grow up. I have not been there in 3 years so maybe much has changed? I do understand that some places are less desirable than others, and yes, I am very, very familiar with Gold Country as I mentioned. I Have spent a great amount of time in the Mother Lode, and foothill regions. If I move back to CA it has to be around Bakersfield, primarily for work and a desire for a change from Nor-Cal.

Some things that I need to mention, that I failed to in my Original Post, is that we are a conservative, traditional-values family, that prefers small, country-rural-agricultural communities to big-city life. My parents are both from Midwest rural communities. I am interested in a town that is old-fashioned, with a simple way of life but not too small. I was told Porterville might be, but then again not?

Some of you keep saying it is a very undesirable place, but do not expound? Please do. I need details. I am OK with 115 degree dry heat, loved it in Arizona. I am not concerned with high unemployment rate. And we will be renting. Please include more info on why this area is good or not good, and if there are areas more preferrable to others. I have never been to this area and the last time my Dad was, was several decades ago. I assume times have changed. Thanks so much.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
I will try to address the above posters concerning their statements and questions.

proudmommy: I stated in my post that the reason I want to leave and come there is because I miss my home state. My family will all be with me. My job situation is of no concern. I am also a musician and expect to find plenty of Country Music opportunities in the Bakersfield area. When I say the "Front Range" it is what we refer to as the area from Fort Collins to Pueblo. I have lived and travel up and down the Front Range. The Central Valley of CA is very long too and was doing a comparison between the both, however I am very familiar with the Sacto area, but not further south than Merced. I live currently in Fort Collins.

David Aguilar: I don't want to live in Bakersfield, because it is too big of a city.

Black Shoe: I was raised in the Sacto/San Joaquin Valley area and lived there for 25 years. I am not sure if you are referring to this area as "one of the worst" but if so I respectfully disagree. I have never lived in Sacramento but in surrounding areas, in much smaller communities within an hour or less away, that were wonderful places to live and grow up. I have not been there in 3 years so maybe much has changed? I do understand that some places are less desirable than others, and yes, I am very, very familiar with Gold Country as I mentioned. I Have spent a great amount of time in the Mother Lode, and foothill regions. If I move back to CA it has to be around Bakersfield, primarily for work and a desire for a change from Nor-Cal.

Some things that I need to mention, that I failed to in my Original Post, is that we are a conservative, traditional-values family, that prefers small, country-rural-agricultural communities to big-city life. My parents are both from Midwest rural communities. I am interested in a town that is old-fashioned, with a simple way of life but not too small. I was told Porterville might be, but then again not?

Some of you keep saying it is a very undesirable place, but do not expound? Please do. I need details. I am OK with 115 degree dry heat, loved it in Arizona. I am not concerned with high unemployment rate. And we will be renting. Please include more info on why this area is good or not good, and if there are areas more preferrable to others. I have never been to this area and the last time my Dad was, was several decades ago. I assume times have changed. Thanks so much.

Tehachapi. I've not been there, but I hear it is a very lovely small town that is rural. It's about 45 minutes drive from Bakersfield and the weather can be a bit milder than Bakersfield.

You can also look at Lake Isabella, but the commute via 178 along the cliffs of the mountain makes me a bit nervous every time I drive up there. 45 minutes east from Bakersfield.

Shafter is also worth taking a look but I don't know very much about the area. I do know it is about 20 min drive from Bakersfield.

Porterville is decent, but it's about 45 min drive away from Bakersfield and in the middle of nowhere. That said, I would probably prefer to live in Tehachapi or Lake Isabella than Porterville.

If you don't mind going further south of Bakersfield, there is a small town called Lebec which is off of Interstate 5 in the Grapevine mountain. Very rural, if that is what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Tehachapi. I've not been there, but I hear it is a very lovely small town that is rural. It's about 45 minutes drive from Bakersfield and the weather can be a bit milder than Bakersfield.

You can also look at Lake Isabella, but the commute via 178 along the cliffs of the mountain makes me a bit nervous every time I drive up there. 45 minutes east from Bakersfield.

Shafter is also worth taking a look but I don't know very much about the area. I do know it is about 20 min drive from Bakersfield.

Porterville is decent, but it's about 45 min drive away from Bakersfield and in the middle of nowhere. That said, I would probably prefer to live in Tehachapi or Lake Isabella than Porterville.

If you don't mind going further south of Bakersfield, there is a small town called Lebec which is off of Interstate 5 in the Grapevine mountain. Very rural, if that is what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that does help very much. These are all places I am looking into, except Lebec, never heard of it but will investigate. When you say Porterville is decent, what do you feel is wrong with it, or with what do you credit or discredit? I know you said it is remote. Anything else? Yes, i have been told several times about tehachapi, it does sound nice and probably gonna make my short list, thanks for another recommendation.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Some people like Porterville, others don't. Like Tim said it is decent but your view might be different.

But air quality monitoring started 2 years ago in Porterville and the area is turning out to be one of the worse in the Valley for ozone. So far this year, twice as many high smog days in Porterville than Fresno, Bakersfield or Visalia.

I like Exeter but that would be an hour from Bakersfield. On the other hand its near Visalia which has a good but small live music scene. My favorite cowboy music group, the Sons of the San Joaquin, is out of the Visalia area.
The Sons of the San Joaquin - Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California