Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Well what is low for California? I know what high is. What is low without living in a dangerous area?
Depressing for me would be run down, ugly, harsh weather, strip malls, fast food restaurants, mega churches, Walmarts.

I like Mid Century homes. Not all families. A town is nice. Vistas and views. Nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I work from home. being near a university or college would be nice.

Not looking t rent if I can avoid it.

Living in a VW bus? Like full time? That has not crossed my mind, no.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Long Beach. Great weather and cheap rents even near the beach. Not many decent jobs but at least you're an hour or less from downtown LA or the OC where there's more $$$ flowing around. The oil wells along the beaches suck but they are infesting all up and down the coast so it's nothing unusual.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
How do you know my "political alley"?
Uh, you said politically left of center...

San Diego is cheap... compared to everywhere else on the coast...

Quote:
Well what is low for California? I know what high is. What is low without living in a dangerous area?
Depressing for me would be run down, ugly, harsh weather, strip malls, fast food restaurants, mega churches, Walmarts.

I like Mid Century homes. Not all families. A town is nice. Vistas and views. Nice people.
With low crime and tons of culture? Well, you might, might find a few deals at 500,000 in that sort of area...

Last edited by rimmerama; 03-23-2012 at 01:33 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Since when do "mega churches" help to run down an area? Just curious.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:

Well, this helps some but is still pretty vague. What price range are you thinking of for homes if you are considering buying? Most folks from other states want to buy a home for a low amount even before getting familiar with an area. A better decision in the majority of cases is to rent first. Then you will be better prepared to make a informed decision once you determine if a lower cost area is a good fit for you long-term.

With this criteria I would say check out Santa Maria for commuting into Cal Poly San Luis Obispo or Seaside & Marina going to CSUMB. You are aware of higher out of state tuition fees right? Also be aware that CA State Universities have recently announced that they will freeze admissions due to budget cuts. Read this article for more info:
COS also affected by CSU enrollment freeze | Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register | visaliatimesdelta.com

Are you planning on persuing some kind of degree, just want to take few classes or simply like being in a college town near college age ppl. Your criteria is still very unclear, not specific enough. So trying to respond is like throwing darts at a dart board with eyes closed.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-23-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:

California Home Prices and CA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

You want to buy a home in California in your ideal town?
That's fine if you can afford it.
Good luck.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
California Home Prices and CA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

You want to buy a home in California in your ideal town?
That's fine if you can afford it.
Good luck.
Except you forgot the part about buying a house for some low unspecified amount in the ideal town. I really think we need a sticky for this constant reocurring theme in the CA forum. The title of this thread is perfect for it. We could even break options down by price range starting with mobile living as recommended by Nullgeo. Yes, champagne taste on a beer budget is doable in CA. However some concessions apply.

Derek

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Except you forgot the part about buying a house for a low unspecified amount in the ideal town. I really think we need a sticky for this constant reocurring theme in the CA forum. The title of this thread is perfect for it. We could even break options down by price range starting with mobile living as recommended by Nullgeo. Yes, champagne taste on a beer budget is doable in CA. But some concessions apply.

Derek
or lots of concessions.
what's a sticky?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
or lots of concessions.
what's a sticky?
See the first threads of any forum at the top. They are usually FAQs, read this first before posting a new thread, etc... Constant reocurring questions which get asked and answered multiple times are prime candidates.

I want a funky, artsy, progressive, friendly place, with great weather, low crime, good schools, close to universities and jobs opportunties, not too far from the beach. And of course buying a home for under 200K, but preferrably much less would be ideal. Sound familiar?

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California