Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM

778 posts, read 823,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Yes, unconsciousness. If I am really drunk and I kill someone, I am charged with murder, I am responsible for my actions. If I get really drunk and sleep with someone I shouldn't have, I am responsible for my actions. You cannot have it both ways. Either drunk people are responsible for their actions, or they're not.
You're drawing the wrong parallel.

We know drunk people shouldn't drive cars because their judgement and reaction times are impaired. They are not sober enough to be safe behind the wheel.

But that same person is sober enough to enter into an agreement with another human being, and there's no question there about their ability to agree? I doubt that.

And for the millionth time, I don't see what's so difficult about don't have sex with drunk people. If there is even a question as to a person's ability to consent to sex with you, why would you do it unless you don't care about consent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 09:03 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
There's unquestionably a point of drunkenness where you are both still awake but beyond the point of being able to knowingly consent to anything.

And this is ignoring the issues of another person continuously giving you drinks, or slipping something else into them.
Someone giving you drinks is not forcing you to drink them, people need to take responsibility for their choices.

Putting something in the drink is already illegal and should be.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 AM

778 posts, read 823,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Someone giving you drinks is not forcing you to drink them, people need to take responsibility for their choices.

"Here, drink this, it's just soda"--which has a shot of rum in it.
"Here, drink this, it's just rum and Coke."--with two shots of 151.
"I don't feel well, I think I should stop." "What, but you only had one drink? Stop bitching and have a shot of tequila with me!"

Life's not as black and white as you want it to be.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
"Here, drink this, it's just soda"--which has a shot of rum in it.
"Here, drink this, it's just rum and Coke."--with two shots of 151.
"I don't feel well, I think I should stop." "What, but you only had one drink? Stop bitching and have a shot of tequila with me!"

Life's not as black and white as you want it to be.
You can taste the difference very easily. You are really starting to reach.

Why do you think people cannot make these basic decisions for themselves?

Old 10-10-2014, 10:52 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
How does the definition of rape change depending on if someone is enrolled in school?
What your saying is stay away from College kids if you want sex. That makes sense.

How does the law apply if they are out for the summer ?

Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What your saying is stay away from College kids if you want sex. That makes sense.

How does the law apply if they are out for the summer ?
No one knows.

So many holes in this thing.

It is just feel good legislation that doesn't actually do anything, just add legal gray area to prosecute men under the banner of "doing something"

Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Really? Then how do we explain the procreative success of most other animal species over the ages - where we observe very clearly the females controlling the mating processes of timing and acceptance. As aggressive as horny male dogs are, you never see a female dog raped. Goes for elephants and tigers too.

Methinks someone needs to spend more time at the zoo before he writes about life.
I am talking specifically about humans. In nearly all mammal species the male controls the mating process as sexual dimorphism favors the males. In cases where sexual dimorphism favors the female then you see the opposite. Forced sex and sexual coercion is found throughout the animal kingdom. Rape is pretty much a term that applies only to modern humans as in non human animals it is just called sex. Sexual coercion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the case of dogs, elephants and tigers it isn't nearly as simple as you make it out to be. You have to look at whether the animal has an estrus cycle or not. Males have no sexual desire toward a female unless she in estrus then the males go crazy after her. Look at chimpanzees and dolphins, both are highly intelligent and neither have estrus cycles and "rape" is common in both.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
And for the millionth time, I don't see what's so difficult about don't have sex with drunk people. If there is even a question as to a person's ability to consent to sex with you, why would you do it unless you don't care about consent?
I'm not really sure if you noticed this, but there are these places called bars, where people go to have some drinks to lower their social anxieties before trying to court the opposite sex. People use alcohol as a social lubricant. As long as alcohol is available and sex outside of marriage is acceptable then people will have sex when drinking.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Thank you for so eloquently presenting your side's (macabre) case. Spot on! The prosecution can now rest.
Just because you won't accept biological fact doesn't make it untrue. Show me proof that what I said is factually incorrect from scientific sources.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:

If we follow your logic about taking responsibility for our choices and we go and have sex with someone who is deemed too incapacitated to give consent by law and you "choose" to have sex with that person anyway, and it comes back to bite you in the butt... Shouldn't you then be and take responsibility for your actions?
Nobody forced you after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California