Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 07:14 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I've known girls steal used condoms from their roommates bins and steal the sperm to impregnate themselves so that they can claim rape and child support from the guy if they don't like their roommate.

I think this law is stupid. We have posters all around our college saying "Check Consent" and crap. People can imply consent while intoxicated.
This law is like a radical feminist fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

How does the law apply if they are out for the summer ?
The law applies on or off campus. Read the actual law, which chuckman was kind enough to cut and paste for us in an earlier post.

If they are not currently a student, then duh, the law that applies to students - wouldn't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
What if the man has something to drink as well as the woman?

Will the woman be held to the same standard as the man?
Uh, go back and read the thread. If the woman actually rapes the man, then yes. Duh.

If the woman is drunk but does not implicitly consent - per the definition of the actual law - then she has not consented, and it is rape.

Same would apply to a man. If he did not implicitly agree to the woman doing to him what is included in the definition of rape, then she would be guilty of raping the man.

The law does not say that men who are raped are not covered by this law.

The law is about consent. And consent cannot happen via silence, failure to fight back, etc. Consent must be a clear and undeniable declaration.

Really, go back and read the law and the entire thread.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 PM

462 posts, read 741,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
This law is like a radical feminist fantasy.
Definitely, and watching the apologists try to defend this garbage law is laughable to say the least.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Liberal lunacy at it's finest on display again.
You mean unlike such swell ideas as "legitimate rape", or that rape victims should just "make the best of it"?!
Salon: Eight staggering GOP comments on rape and women

So what's the big deal with simply defining a legal criteria for campus rape incidents, no different than nailing down (pardon the pun) the standards for sexual harassment claims? This way it's as much a protection against bogus claims at it is for legitimate ones.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:20 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You mean unlike such swell ideas as "legitimate rape", or that rape victims should just "make the best of it"?!

So what's the big deal with simply defining a legal criteria for campus rape incidents, no different than nailing down (pardon the pun) the standards for sexual harassment claims? This way it's as much a protection against bogus claims at it is for legitimate ones.
Why does ones enrolment in school determine the standard of rape?

And unless the man consented at every step he could just say he was raped as well, now we could have two people that raped each other at the same time.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
^ ^ Obviously you haven't been to a college in a long time (if ever), and you don't understand the reason for the law. BTW, what is it with conservatives and rape anyway, don't they have daughters too?! Although on the plus side, at least this time you didn't suggest we solve it with more guns!

Old 10-11-2014, 01:21 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
I guess I'm in the underwhelming minority here, but I think this law is sorely needed. Sexual assaults on campus are OUT OF CONTROL and most guys who sexually assault women get away with it. I think this makes everyone more accountable for their actions. The "well she didn't say NO!" excuse has gone on way too long. And like others have pointed out, being drunk and having sex with someone happens way too often. Personally, I think guys should AVOID drunk chicks at frat parties to protect themselves from being accused of 'rape' just as women should avoid getting plastered and having drunk sex with a guy that's only after her because she's drunk and doesn't have the judgment to protect herself. Sex in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but people use alcohol to reduce their inhibitions way too often. It's a cultural thing that needs to stop. One of the reasons it exists in the first place is the puritanical mentality people have had about sex for so long. If we stopped shaming everyone from wanting to get laid in the first place, we wouldn't have such an unhealthy culture and model of binge drinking that leads to hazy consent.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:40 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

If both parties don't give an explicit "yes" to a specific sexual act, there was rape. How on earth does protect against bogus claims? Have you ever, once in your life given an ongoing explicit "yes" during sex?

Old 10-11-2014, 01:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Sexual assaults on campus are OUT OF CONTROL and most guys who sexually assault women get away with it.
Please define out of control. If you are going off the 1 in 5 statistic that is pure bull****. The rate of real rape is much higher in Oakland where you live than at most schools. Should this law be in place in Oakland instead of schools?

Quote:
I think this makes everyone more accountable for their actions.
I'll ask you the same question. Have you ever had ongoing explicit consent during a sexual act?

Quote:
The "well she didn't say NO!" excuse has gone on way too long.
The excuse has gone on because it is a completely valid excuse. If you are to the point where you are fondling someone naked how is either party supposed to know how far to go unless someone is vocal about what is too far.

Quote:
And like others have pointed out, being drunk and having sex with someone happens way too often. Personally, I think guys should AVOID drunk chicks at frat parties to protect themselves from being accused of 'rape' just as women should avoid getting plastered and having drunk sex with a guy that's only after her because she's drunk and doesn't have the judgment to protect herself.
I mostly agree.

Quote:
Sex in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but people use alcohol to reduce their inhibitions way too often. It's a cultural thing that needs to stop. One of the reasons it exists in the first place is the puritanical mentality people have had about sex for so long. If we stopped shaming everyone from wanting to get laid in the first place, we wouldn't have such an unhealthy culture and model of binge drinking that leads to hazy consent.
Even though I am personally very liberal when it comes to sex, that is an equally valid reason to establish a much stronger puritanical mentality like the past. This wasn't an issue in the past because people wouldn't go out and get drunk and have sex with some random person, people kept it in their pants. In some ways I think the past was better because people were much less animalistic about sex, it was more civilized. I think it is interesting that people think it is modern and progressive to be liberal about sex when that is how many animals are and how ancient humans were.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
If both parties don't give an explicit "yes" to a specific sexual act, there was rape. How on earth does protect against bogus claims? Have you ever, once in your life given an ongoing explicit "yes" during sex?
Does "oh yeah! Oh yeah!, oh yeah! Oh baby oh yeah!, yeah like that, yes Yes YES!" count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California