Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2023, 05:41 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Not accurate.

The assurances were lessening by the time the vaccines were widely available (for example, I recall estimates for the required percentage of the population vaccinated to achieve herd immunity kept rising). I don't think anyone ever consistently promised that mass vaccination would end the pandemic, it was just a voiced hope probably meant to gain cooperation. It was not a "lie" to think and say it might work.

That vaccines would prevent major health problems increasingly was stated instead, and it has proven somewhat true (early-onset, acute problems, let's say). By the way, re legal/ethical arguments, that justifies vaccine mandates, because in the past those held up in the courts about viruses that vaccines didn't eliminate but rendered much less dangerous.
BIDEN: “You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.”

The most powerful man on Earth said this.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:02 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I think (only speculation here) as to why that gap is that most of the people actively posting live in the LA and other parts of the SoCal area. There's a thread in the LA section that's been very active. I haven't participated in it since I don't live there but it's been a good read. Much of the same dialog as this one. Really, this thread could be closed and let that one go since that area of the state seems to be struggling with ongoing cases. We're pretty clear over this way. Thank goodness
I live in the Bay Area. We were actually more insane than LA. My county tried to limit people from exercising more than 5 miles from their home under the threat of a $1000 fine. Mask usage indoors was 100% until well into 2022. School quality has utterly collapsed and many previously well rated schools are getting ratings from multiple sources that are on par with Chicago’s worst (anyone with money put their kids in private schools or worked remote from another area of the state or another state). Crime in my city has gone from very infrequent to severe—I had to stop a home invasion, have had a car stolen, heard gunshots, had every Prius catalytic converter stolen on my street etc.

Other than several international surf trips I got for a steal, I stayed sane heading down to San Luis Obispo county a lot. Hotels there had many unmasked residents all through 2020 and I was able to basically do what I wanted. When I went to Sonoma county in May 2020 I was able to eat normally indoors in a restaurant and found many people up there pretty normal too. It’s weird living in a strange bubble of insanity while everyone a few hours from me in any direction didn’t seem to care.

At this point budgets in my area are so in the red from all the closing businesses and offices not reopening. I’m not sure a lot of Bay Area cities will ever recover. The Bay Bridge even has a gofundme to keep the lights on. Not sure what to do, I have a good career, family and own a home but still may bail for another part of the state eventually. I really don’t want my offspring going to middle/high school here anyway.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:31 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Even in a time of plentiful vaccines and therapeutics, when COVID-19 has been pushed to the back of many a mind, California is still tallying more than 20 deaths every day, on average.

And as the state enters what officials characterize as a new phase of the pandemic, the virus’ cumulative devastation remains hard to comprehend while its day-to-day effects are, for many, increasingly easy to ignore.

“Some people say it’s nothing, ‘Why are you bothering us with this pandemic? We should be back to normal now,’” Dr. Sylvie Briand, director of epidemic and pandemic prevention and preparedness at the World Health Organization, said during a recent webinar. “And others say it’s catastrophic: ‘My neighbor died yesterday. And last month it was my great-uncle who died.’

“Who is right?” she said. “Both perspectives are understandable because the risk of getting sick, the risk of having severe disease, is variable.”

“This milestone is a tragic reminder of the very real toll the pandemic has taken on Californians,” the state Department of Public Health wrote in a statement to The Times. “Our focus remains on the steps we can continue taking to limit further loss of life due to COVID-19.”

COVID-19 deaths top 100,000 in California: ‘Nobody ... anticipated this toll’:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...rpasses-100000

Old 02-24-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I live in the Bay Area. We were actually more insane than LA. My county tried to limit people from exercising more than 5 miles from their home under the threat of a $1000 fine. Mask usage indoors was 100% until well into 2022. School quality has utterly collapsed and many previously well rated schools are getting ratings from multiple sources that are on par with Chicago’s worst (anyone with money put their kids in private schools or worked remote from another area of the state or another state). Crime in my city has gone from very infrequent to severe—I had to stop a home invasion, have had a car stolen, heard gunshots, had every Prius catalytic converter stolen on my street etc.

Other than several international surf trips I got for a steal, I stayed sane heading down to San Luis Obispo county a lot. Hotels there had many unmasked residents all through 2020 and I was able to basically do what I wanted. When I went to Sonoma county in May 2020 I was able to eat normally indoors in a restaurant and found many people up there pretty normal too. It’s weird living in a strange bubble of insanity while everyone a few hours from me in any direction didn’t seem to care.

At this point budgets in my area are so in the red from all the closing businesses and offices not reopening. I’m not sure a lot of Bay Area cities will ever recover. The Bay Bridge even has a gofundme to keep the lights on. Not sure what to do, I have a good career, family and own a home but still may bail for another part of the state eventually. I really don’t want my offspring going to middle/high school here anyway.
I hunt all over the US. From day 1 no other State went full moron with restrictions. I was in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, N/S Carolina, Georgia. It's like the only place Covid existed was in LA and SF. Even San Diego didn't do any of that until greasy Gavin targeted us after a year. Then I'd come back here and just SMH.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:44 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

I stand corrected. Evidently, it isn't only the SoCal area having problems. I'm pretty much removed from that part of the state so if I don't see it, I forget. I must be more mindful of that. I'm just happy I'm not seeing signs that point to the closest testing center or see "masks required" signs posted on store windows. Apparently, it really does depend on where you live in the state and California is an enormous state with a lot of varying conditions. I hope things improve for your area soon and that your future plans work out.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected. Evidently, it isn't only the SoCal area having problems. I'm pretty much removed from that part of the state so if I don't see it, I forget. I must be more mindful of that. I'm just happy I'm not seeing signs that point to the closest testing center or see "masks required" signs posted on store windows. Apparently, it really does depend on where you live in the state and California is an enormous state with a lot of varying conditions. I hope things improve for your area soon and that your future plans work out.
They closed the forests and oceans for about 6 months. THEN they generously let 6 boats at a time use the giant bay. So long as everyone had a mask.

Talk about Govt overreach. Then in SD after about 6 months of protesting they just opened everything up like nothing happened. Fast forward another year and Gavin noticed things were way to normal in SD and targeted us with the mandates. That lasted about 2 months before we got defiant. That is the only way to end this insanity. Just say no.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:53 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
It is odd that California and the other leftist states went totally off the deep end with restrictions and yet did no better than the states that didn’t.
Why it’s as if we really didn’t need to do all of this I tell ya.
A bit of good common sense from us and the government would have done the job.
Sadly both were lacking.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:00 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
I'm just amazed at all the people that still believe those mandates were a good idea at the time. Basically the govt imposed these mandates, which ruined some people's lives and deeply affected others negatively, knowing damn well the vaccine was never tested to see if it reduced or stopped transmission. People got fired and lost their livelihoods over that. So either they lied to/misled us or had no clue yet still imposed these incredibly restrictive mandates. And you still have some of these county health officers that still believe in mask mandates despite all the evidence they don't work and they cite the worst "studies" too, especially that moron in LA, Barbara whatever.

How more people are not bothered by that and still support and elect these people is beyond me. I guess they still don't realize they were duped and duped hard.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:38 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
I still recall the guy who was surfing (alone, I might add) and was given a citation for it. Or was he actually arrested? I don't remember but it was stupid.

I never never never believed that making someone stay indoors was a good idea. You can be outdoors with fresh air and not be around people. I have no proof that shows that to be true but, based on my experience, staying indoors is less healthy than being outside. And while I'm on an irritation roll, I thought that herding people into only big box stores was ludicrous. Why not let people take precautions (if wearing a mask was one of them) and let them go into a store they want? Fewer people in one area when spread out. No. Instead, they made old people line up in front of a store at 7 am in the morning so they could get first dibs on toilet paper.

The only thing that accomplished was exposing more people at once to the virus, not to mention making those big box stores even more profitable. I still think that was the plan. but I've never passed up on a good conspiracy.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:42 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
I still recall the guy who was surfing (alone, I might add) and was given a citation for it. Or was he actually arrested? I don't remember but it was stupid.

I never never never believed that making someone stay indoors was a good idea. You can be outdoors with fresh air and not be around people. I have no proof that shows that to be true but, based on my experience, staying indoors is less healthy than being outside. And while I'm on an irritation roll, I thought that herding people into only big box stores was ludicrous. Why not let people take precautions (if wearing a mask was one of them) and let them go into a store they want? Fewer people in one area when spread out. No. Instead, they made old people line up in front of a store at 7 am in the morning so they could get first dibs on toilet paper.

The only thing that accomplished was exposing more people at once to the virus, not to mention making those big box stores even more profitable. I still think that was the plan. but I've never passed up on a good conspiracy.
Also some stores reducing hours and closing off some entrances/exits made no sense. That only causes more people to be in close proximity. So much of what they did made no sense but people followed along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California