Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move to Mexico or Texas?
Mexico 29 42.03%
Texas 40 57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 12:28 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Because I want to know specifically what Californians think.
But I do think a specific scenario might help. Are we talking about people who are still working and wanting to buy a house or property? Are we talking about money being no issue and retirement?

Almost no one from any state would choose Mexico for the former but even most Texans wouldn’t choose Texas for the later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 12:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,609 times
I would choose Mexico (or New Mexico) over Texas. But if I had to hold down a job, I'd probably choose Texas over Mexico.

Texas weather sucks, they have a weird fascination with guns, and the food isn't as good as it is in Mexico (or New Mexico). Austin is overrated--like San Jose but without any good natural scenery nearby. San Antonio is a sprawling mess--like the Inland Empire but with a cute riverwalk and way overhyped historical attraction. Corpus Christi reminds me of Oxnard? Amarillo seems like anytown USA--I'd rather settle in Oklahoma City or Tulsa. Haven't seen the rest of Texas yet, although I do plan on passing through El Paso when I'm over there to visit Carlsbad Caverns (someday).

Haven't been to too many places in Mexico, but I like Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City more than anything I've seen in Texas. I'd even choose Ensenada over Corpus Christi, and I'm not super keen on Ensenada. The main thing TJ has going for it is proximity to my hometown of San Diego, so I'd opt for that over Texas because that weather is great.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:08 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post

Texas weather sucks, they have a weird fascination with guns, and the food isn't as good as it is in Mexico (or New Mexico).
What is interesting is that Houston is as good a food city that exists outside NYC, but most of the areas of Texas dont have very good food.

As far as guns, people in the big cities dont have any more or less fascination with them than anywhere else.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:18 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
I just watched a video of a woman from Santa Cruz who retired in Mazatlan and rents a nice two bedroom apartment walking distance to the beach for $420 a month. I'd take that over Texas. Actually, Texas has never interested me much. If I were to move anywhere remotely Southern I'd choose Oklahoma where I have family of the Deep South.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:43 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
That’s a tough question.
I like Mexico so much more but would I want to live there?
I have never heard of a person taking vacation in Texas other than to visit people, have you?
Safety wise it might be a push.
Healthcare wise Mexico wins by a long shot.
Government wise I used to think we had that in the bag but now I’m not so sure and think we could be behind the ball on that one.
The most stable leadership on the North American Continent is now in Mexico.
Media wise I’m not sure. I think we suck at honesty. I’m not sure about Mexico.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:51 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Double tap.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:52 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,197 times
https://internationalliving.com/coun...ing-in-mexico/

Old 06-16-2022, 04:23 PM

204 posts, read 134,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
That’s a tough question.
I like Mexico so much more but would I want to live there?
I have never heard of a person taking vacation in Texas other than to visit people, have you?
Safety wise it might be a push.
Healthcare wise Mexico wins by a long shot.
Government wise I used to think we had that in the bag but now I’m not so sure and think we could be behind the ball on that one.
The most stable leadership on the North American Continent is now in Mexico.
Media wise I’m not sure. I think we suck at honesty. I’m not sure about Mexico.
Mexico's leadership is more stable than Canada's?

Old 06-16-2022, 10:23 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,421,491 times
Move to a poverty stricken country with corrupt police and drug cartel people disappearing and you have no rights?

Old 06-17-2022, 01:22 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What's the wife’s beef with Mexico?
Do I really need to spell out why a girl that grew up in the Northeast doesn’t like Mexico? Heck, I have friends that were born there (or their parents) and they don’t even like going there anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Move to a poverty stricken country with corrupt police and drug cartel people disappearing and you have no rights?
For as much as I love Mainland Mex, Costa Rica, Bali, there’s a reason why I choose only Hawaii anymore (and will one day own a place there) for my “exotic” vacations/surf trips, and that’s because of the US Constitution. I stay out of trouble, but the piece of mind being in America is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California