Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move to Mexico or Texas?
Mexico 29 42.03%
Texas 40 57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 05:25 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,331,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you want a warm beach in the winter, it's not down here. My brother and sister-in-law live in the Seattle area and they do come down to SoCal for some sunshine in the winter, but not to the beach. They both grew up here and know better than that. They go to Palm Springs.
?? You mean water warm enough for swimming without a wetsuit perhaps? I guess. I live in San Diego (well, now in winters again … ). I find Central Coast down to SD border plenty warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 05:35 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
?? You mean water warm enough for swimming without a wetsuit perhaps? I guess. I live in San Diego (well, now in winters again … ). I find Central Coast down to SD border plenty warm.
I'm in OC, and I think the beaches are beautiful in the winter, but a lot of people who are looking to travel from a colder state to bask in the sunshine in January or February would be disappointed. An average high in the low 60s? Not very warm. Not to mention that winter is also the rainy season.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm in OC, and I think the beaches are beautiful in the winter, but a lot of people who are looking to travel from a colder state to bask in the sunshine in January or February would be disappointed. An average high in the low 60s? Not very warm. Not to mention that winter is also the rainy season.
Heh. Everything is relative. (Just ask Einstein.) I grew up in Minnesota, so ………..
Btw: average highs are mid-to upper 60s in SD and LA. Only waaaay up ‘nort’ in Morro Bay (where I split my residence time) do the highs plummet to ‘low’ 60s.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:40 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Heh. Everything is relative. (Just ask Einstein.) I grew up in Minnesota, so ………..
Btw: average highs are mid-to upper 60s in SD and LA. Only waaaay up ‘nort’ in Morro Bay (where I split my residence time) do the highs plummet to ‘low’ 60s.
And 60's are cold.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We still own property in the Bay Area that we bought near 40 years ago.
It’s not really much warmer than our place near Sequim in the winter.
Danville CA gets notoriously cold in the winter because of Mt. Diablo.
It will crack an engine block on a boat.
I know that too well.

We have family on Islamorada and I really like it there.
Not cheap by any means but neither is Danville.
Sequim is part of my northern (summer) stomping / sailing grounds, Andy. Unfortunately, since my late wife’s slow decline became increasingly severe, and then she passed, plus Covid’s limitations to - well, everything in a mobile lifestyle … I have been mostly up north here in the islands and Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles for over two years, including winters, taking care of estate business, converting wife’s property to rental, etc. This last winter was especially nasty. Only my new romance saved me from serious depression.

Having lived on my boats all around the Bay Area for many years, including out in the Delta where it does, indeed, get cold in winter, I can’t compare the two regions as you have. Maybe your BA property is Delta area? That’s the water proximity exception.

I do get a chuckle out of the Sequim Chamber’s efforts to always portray the place as “year round sunny” … it isn’t. Very low rainfall totals is not the same as sunshine. I’ll grant it gets more *peeks* at the sun and blue skies than most of the NW. but it ain’t much after living in CA coastal areas. Still lovely, but sunny? Nah!

Old 06-23-2022, 01:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Mutt,
I hope you are doing well .
That’s a biggie and good for you finding romance.

I always figured you were just out the bay next to me somewhere.

We have a decent view here and can see Blyn and Sequim.
Blyn always seems to have nicer weather and it is right at the very edge of the so called rain shadow map.
You can actually see the snow increase on the side of the road driving from Blyn to Port Angeles.
Notice Blyn never brags about the weather ?

I’ve done boats since forever in California and know the delta well.
I might sell my current boat and get something more suitable for up here.
I don’t see many Boston Whalers up here.
Is there a reason for that?

I want to go check out the wooden boat festival in PT this year for kicks.
If you are up there gimme a holla and I’ll spring for the drinks

Old 06-23-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
. Mutt,
I hope you are doing well .
That’s a biggie and good for you finding romance.

I always figured you were just out the bay next to me somewhere.

We have a decent view here and can see Blyn and Sequim.
Blyn always seems to have nicer weather and it is right at the very edge of the so called rain shadow map.
You can actually see the snow increase on the side of the road driving from Blyn to Port Angeles.
Notice Blyn never brags about the weather ?

I’ve done boats since forever in California and know the delta well.
I might sell my current boat and get something more suitable for up here.
I don’t see many Boston Whalers up here.
Is there a reason for that?

I want to go check out the wooden boat festival in PT this year for kicks.
If you are up there gimme a holla and I’ll spring for the drinks
Definitely Andy. I’ve done the Festival every year just about since … well, decades? Was cancelled due to Covid last two, but on again this year. I’ll be there …

Old 06-27-2022, 10:10 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Coastal mainland Mexico definitely. Just got back from a vacation and already miss it. I think Texas is okay but the beaches and surfing suck and those things are important to me.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:30 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
Mexico, hands down. Either in CDMX or somewhere along the Pacific Coast (Puerto Vallarta, Hualtulco, Zihua, etc).

Old 06-27-2022, 11:17 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
If you weren’t locked down to a normal 9-5 situation and were not scared of the way locals do things Mexico does seem like a nicer place.

I think renting might be the way to go but I don’t really know rental pricing.
I just know I wouldn’t trust a large chunk of my money at risk of a “policy change”.

I don’t think you can actually own water front there.
There are ways to put the title into a bank trust but really???

My step dad had a place in Baja he rented for a long time when he retired.
Nothing fancy but it was on the water and living was cheap.
He bounced back and forth from there to the Cali Rio Vista Delta area when he retired.
That sumbitch drove that commute the whole way.
I wondered where I got that from .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California