Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move to Mexico or Texas?
Mexico 29 42.03%
Texas 40 57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 09:58 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,129 times

Advertisements

I'd have to go with Texas. Not that I love Texas. I'm just not sure about living in Mexico.

The international country i have been thinking about lately as a possible nice place to live/relocate too is Norway actually. Damn you Jo Nesbo! Why did I start reading your books?

Interesting fact about Norway is that they totally shut down the entire month of July. Most people get the entire month off from work. Paid time off. If you are in a non service/hospitality industry I guess. Of course it is a terrible time to travel internationally if you live in Norway because July is the best weather all year.

Another interesting fact about Norway is that college tuition is free even for foreigners. That catch is that a foreign student would have to show proof that they can support themselves financially. Not easy due to the high cost of living I suppose.

Norway is very expensive though apparently. Even after factoring in free health care and college it's pretty pricey.

I'd like to visit all the Nordic countries some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 10:02 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I don’t like Texas that much at all but it is part of the United States.
Mexico is nicer, friendlier (to me) and a better value but it is not the United States.

Other than that pesky little fact Mexico has so much more to offer.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:12 AM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Who said anything about tourist visas? Moving is moving. You can get legal residency in Mexico without surrendering your US citizenship.

I have had legal residency in Brazil since 1994, even though I am a native of the US and maintain my US citizenship.

This is not a question of either or. It seems like you want to create barriers that dont exist.
That wasnt relevant to any of the points I made but ok.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:14 AM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

Other than that pesky little fact Mexico has so much more to offer.
Youre going to have to expand on that. If youre talking about natural beauty and outdoor activities/things to do, of course it does. For the average person and what it takes to make a life, absolutely not.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:16 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Do I really need to spell out why a girl that grew up in the Northeast doesn’t like Mexico? Heck, I have friends that were born there (or their parents) and they don’t even like going there anymore?
Yeah, kinda... I'm not sure what you're implying either, and I'm a woman (not a "girl") who's originally from the northeast. I've been to Mexico many times and loved it!

Old 06-21-2022, 05:17 PM

I just trust the American government more even with this leadership.
I can see losing a nice place in Mexico if I paid cash.
If it wasn’t for that I would live there rather than in Texas.

Everyone is different and has different needs.
Me?
I don’t need a job and I would rather be around the beauty of the Yucatán Peninsula rather than Texas and all of them Texans that think everything in Texas is bigger and better in that oily sandbox .

Old 06-21-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
i say if you think Mexico is so great get the hell out and leave.
Wow, aggressive much? That is LITERALLY the question - would you (or would you not) want to live there. Why are you so angry about a hypothetical discussion? It's not like they said "Mexico is better than the US," for chrissakes. Sheesh, way to contribute to the American stereotypes.

And in case you weren't aware, people can like a place without actually wanting to live there. I think London and Amsterdam are great places, but have no desire to move there anytime soon. Or ever, really. Again, you're feeding into that "love it or leave it" American nonsense. Please stop.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You were THAT close of friends with your mail carrier that you still keep in touch after his retirement and subsequent move to another country?
Some people become friends with mail carriers; they're people too. And with social media these days, it doesn't take much effort to keep in touch with anyone. I know more about the lives of some old friends now, than I did when we lived near each other.

My grandfather was a mail carrier, who was sadly killed on the job in 1967. I'm sure he made friends along his routes, though.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:23 PM

Seriously though,
I’m a water person.
I need to live on or damn near on the water.

For me the cave diving, fishing and stretching my money makes Mexico enticing.
I’ve been there easily about a hundred times and don’t have crime phobias.
The people respond nicely when you give them respect and common courtesy.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Is this why all you Californians are coming here ?
Yeah, that is how migration and industry expansion works... same reason everyone came HERE (to California) during the initial tech boom. Now that other states are catching on, those workers are spreading out a bit more.

I have zero interest in ever moving to Texas, and don't work in tech. But I know lots of people who did and have, and y'all need to get over it. You're just getting a taste of what we've dealt with for however-many decades. Hardly anyone in CA is actually from here, lol. Even I'm technically a "transplant," since my family moved here when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California