Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move to Mexico or Texas?
Mexico 29 42.03%
Texas 40 57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 07:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,130 times

Advertisements

i say if you think Mexico is so great get the hell out and leave. For me there is not one damn thing there is want or need from that hell hole. We used to go alot to several parts of Mexico for vacations but when we got stopped and robbed by the federal police i had enough with that crap. For years cruise ships would not atop at ports due to the shootings and now the fracking gangs prey on the visitors. Screw that place - until the government takes real steps instead of bribes i wont be back which is never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 08:13 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Yes I believe that the Andres Obrador of Mexico is more stable than Justin Trudeau any day of the week.
Our dear friends, families and neighbors got a bad deal when they got that silver spoon imbecile.

It sure looks like his dad is Fidel Castro.
Even acts like a little commie the way he takes away “privileges”.
Upset him and he will have the “royal” temper tantrum.
Might even freeze you money if you speak out against him.

So yes I think Mexico is much more mature when it comes to leadership.

Oh and not to knock Joe Biden but Joe is not well and that’s a fact.
Because he is unwell I view his leadership as unstable.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:27 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
done working,
Are our ghettos that much safer?
I can easily rattle off a good half dozen that I wouldn’t visit.
Can you name 6 in Mexico?

I am also not too sure I trust our Federalis much either.
They just don’t seem too trustworthy to me lately .

Old 06-17-2022, 08:28 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, it's very simple. Anywhere in Mexico vs Anywhere in Texas.

The mail carrier who worked our neighborhood for years retired recently. He and his wife are African American and he moved to Merida and absolutely loves it there. He and his wife live like royalty on their retirement income, which is how it should be imo. You shouldnt have to be super rich to live well in your later years.
You were THAT close of friends with your mail carrier that you still keep in touch after his retirement and subsequent move to another country?

Old 06-17-2022, 09:36 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
done working,
Are our ghettos that much safer?
I can easily rattle off a good half dozen that I wouldn’t visit.
Can you name 6 in Mexico?

I am also not too sure I trust our Federalis much either.
They just don’t seem too trustworthy to me lately .
I am very familiar with Mexico as I travel there for work quite a bit: Mexico is more unpredictable. Things shift from safe to not safe to safe again in a short amount of time. In the US, places that are dangerous and places that are safe hold that way for longer. For a long time Monterrey was dangerous in the 2007-2011 time frame but now it isnt at all. Guanajuato on the other hand is turning into the murder capital of Mexico by state.

Right now 5 of the top 6 most dangerous cities in the world are in Mexico: Tiajuana, Acapulco, Ciudad Victoria, Juarez, and Irapuato. Mexico has almost 16 of the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world. But Mexico also has places (many of their major cities) where the violent crime rates are far lower than our major cities like Aguascalientes, Merida, San Luis Potosi, and Oaxaca state.

The cartels really make the determinations on safety. For example, when I had to go to Sinaloa (Culican), I had armed guards with me the entire time. But when I went to Aguascalientes, I was on my own the whole time with no issue. Right now, I wouldnt darken the door of Michoacan or Guerrero (specifically Acapulco) but I love going places like San Luis Potosi, Puebla, Merida, etc.

I do think the comparison to our ghettos as opposed to the worst parts of Acapulco or Silao or Irapuato is extremely disingenuous. Its not honest. There is only one neighborhood in the US that can compete with the violence that goes on in those areas on a statistical level: East St. Louis, IL. No one in their right mind would chose strolling through the worst parts of Michoacan or Sinaloa as opposed to South Chicago or East Detroit. I say that having experienced both.

I struggle with the concept of this thread because its way too abstract. I think if a working adult that needed to provide chose Mexico over any state in the US (unless they were an executive) would be downright stupid. The economic opportunity there is not a fraction of what it is here. By that same token, those saying Mexico as a whole is a crime riddled hell hole are also stupid. Like here there are safe places and very dangerous places.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:04 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I am very familiar with Mexico as I travel there for work quite a bit: Mexico is more unpredictable. Things shift from safe to not safe to safe again in a short amount of time. In the US, places that are dangerous and places that are safe hold that way for longer. For a long time Monterrey was dangerous in the 2007-2011 time frame but now it isnt at all. Guanajuato on the other hand is turning into the murder capital of Mexico by state.

Right now 5 of the top 6 most dangerous cities in the world are in Mexico: Tiajuana, Acapulco, Ciudad Victoria, Juarez, and Irapuato. Mexico has almost 16 of the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world. But Mexico also has places (many of their major cities) where the violent crime rates are far lower than our major cities like Aguascalientes, Merida, San Luis Potosi, and Oaxaca state.

The cartels really make the determinations on safety. For example, when I had to go to Sinaloa (Culican), I had armed guards with me the entire time. But when I went to Aguascalientes, I was on my own the whole time with no issue. Right now, I wouldnt darken the door of Michoacan or Guerrero (specifically Acapulco) but I love going places like San Luis Potosi, Puebla, Merida, etc.

I do think the comparison to our ghettos as opposed to the worst parts of Acapulco or Silao or Irapuato is extremely disingenuous. Its not honest. There is only one neighborhood in the US that can compete with the violence that goes on in those areas on a statistical level: East St. Louis, IL. No one in their right mind would chose strolling through the worst parts of Michoacan or Sinaloa as opposed to South Chicago or East Detroit. I say that having experienced both.

I struggle with the concept of this thread because its way too abstract. I think if a working adult that needed to provide chose Mexico over any state in the US (unless they were an executive) would be downright stupid. The economic opportunity there is not a fraction of what it is here. By that same token, those saying Mexico as a whole is a crime riddled hell hole are also stupid. Like here there are safe places and very dangerous places.

I think by and large, moving to Mexico is a option that is considered by those who are retired or are about to retire......lower cost of living being a major factor and perhaps secondary reason, among others, is a desire for a slower paced lifestyle & a warm climate

Old 06-17-2022, 10:39 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You were THAT close of friends with your mail carrier that you still keep in touch after his retirement and subsequent move to another country?
Haha he also attended our church for decades and posts his experiences on social media.

And good for him, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working
i say if you think Mexico is so great get the hell out and leave.
And why are you so upset about the life choices of other people

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below
I struggle with the concept of this thread because its way too abstract. I think if a working adult that needed to provide chose Mexico over any state in the US (unless they were an executive) would be downright stupid.
Not if they are able to work remotely. Especially from a COL standpoint Mexico is way cheaper than Texas, and offers an unmatchable variety of places to choose from.

Furthermore, a lot of people in the prime of their lives are moving there. Just look on Youtube.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:11 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
This is very interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC7
Every day, approximately 200,000 people commute between California and Mexico, according to CNBC. Many of them work in California and live just below the border in the Mexican state of Baja California, or other areas near the border like Tijuana.
Wouldnt it be awesome if the border in San Diego was less bottlenecked so that commuters could have an easier time getting to and from jobs in California?

Maybe even a commuter rail?

In any event, I just think there are so many ways we can leverage our border with Mexico as far as helping Californians find more affordable place to live, that we arent taking advantage of what could be because of xenophobia and racism.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:56 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Not if they are able to work remotely. Especially from a COL standpoint Mexico is way cheaper than Texas, and offers an unmatchable variety of places to choose from.

Furthermore, a lot of people in the prime of their lives are moving there. Just look on Youtube.
Almost no company will allow you to work remotely internationally. That is very uncommon. Not saying none do, but that is a tax nightmare. You couldnt show up to Mexico with a tourist visa and work. Youd have to apply for residency and then you end up paying taxes to both Mexico and the US off your paycheck. Its a horrible idea unless you work for a company that has an office in Mexico that can put you on their payroll.

Youtube isnt statistical. It provides no baseline.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:15 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You gotta be more specific. If the choice is between Austin and Tijuana Im going with Austin. But if places like Cozumel, Cancun or Playa del Carmen are options over Houston, Dallas, or El Paso, Im probably going with Mexico.
With remote work, I would choose beach front Tijuana over Austin any day of the week.

Now if my choices were Austin or Juarez (or any other border town not Tijuana) , I'm going with Austin.

Queretaro seems to be the trendy non beach city in Mexico for the younger, remote working expats.

Quote:
This is very interesting...
Wouldnt it be awesome if the border in San Diego was less bottlenecked so that commuters could have an easier time getting to and from jobs in California?
It would be, but on the other hand the inconvenience of the border wait is what likely keeps things in check with regard to real estate costs in Baja. Otherwise, what's happening with home prices in Idaho and Texas would be happening in Tijuana as well.

Last edited by malcorub16; 06-17-2022 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California