Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move to Mexico or Texas?
Mexico 29 42.03%
Texas 40 57.97%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 03:45 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Mexico, hands down. Either in CDMX .
Mexico City is lots of fun and so much more alive than Dallas, Houston and Austin. The weather is also much more pleasant. Those earthquakes are pretty scary though and I usually start to get stressed out on the big city life after a couple of weeks now that I am getting older. But that said, I too would choose it over any Texas major city.

Mexico City still has that artistic vibe that major American cities like NYC and San Francisco lost a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 04:06 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
It's one of the most underrated cities on the planet imo. Having a decent grasp of Spanish is helpful, but the people/food/history/culture/scenery are way better than anything I've seen in Texas so far, and I could happily live there or Guadalajara if I wanted to be in major city. I know the Cancun/Maya Riviera gets a lot more attention when it comes to tourism, but I vastly prefer the Pacific side when it comes to everything aside from powdery white sand beaches (the very same kind you'd find in the DR/Jamaica/etc). Thankfully, Mexico is so huge and diverse and relatively easy to get around that you have plenty of variety, so I know I wouldn't get bored. All four major Texas metros seem much more similar to each other than being different, and I'm just not the biggest fan of any of them, personally. Houston has the most laid back people and best food, but the weather leaves much to desired. Austin feels like Orange County on the prairie awash with college students, and Dallas/FW are just not my cup of tea. San Antonio is interesting and probably a nice place to raise a family, but I can't see myself choosing it over anywhere desirable in Mexico.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:10 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's one of the most underrated cities on the planet imo. Having a decent grasp of Spanish is helpful, but the people/food/history/culture/scenery are way better than anything I've seen in Texas so far, and I could happily live there or Guadalajara if I wanted to be in major city. I know the Cancun/Maya Riviera gets a lot more attention when it comes to tourism, but I vastly prefer the Pacific side when it comes to everything aside from powdery white sand beaches (the very same kind you'd find in the DR/Jamaica/etc). Thankfully, Mexico is so huge and diverse and relatively easy to get around that you have plenty of variety, so I know I wouldn't get bored. All four major Texas metros seem much more similar to each other than being different, and I'm just not the biggest fan of any of them, personally. Houston has the most laid back people and best food, but the weather leaves much to desired. Austin feels like Orange County on the prairie awash with college students, and Dallas/FW are just not my cup of tea. San Antonio is interesting and probably a nice place to raise a family, but I can't see myself choosing it over anywhere desirable in Mexico.
I have a friend, born and raise in Mexico City and whose parents live in Mexico City. She has visited them just about every year. She tells me that she does not want to move back as the crime is a major problem especially with the ... police. In a tourist area you may not see it, but living there is different.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:38 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
I actually HAVE lived there, but yes, like many other cities, there are parts that are fine for tourists, and parts that are total no-gos for pretty much everyone. It's one of the largest cities in the world and very spread out, so you do have to know what you're doing, and as I said earlier, knowing Spanish will make one's life much, much easier.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:49 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
If you weren’t locked down to a normal 9-5 situation and were not scared of the way locals do things Mexico does seem like a nicer place.

I think renting might be the way to go but I don’t really know rental pricing.
I just know I wouldn’t trust a large chunk of my money at risk of a “policy change”.

I don’t think you can actually own water front there.
There are ways to put the title into a bank trust but really???

My step dad had a place in Baja he rented for a long time when he retired.
Nothing fancy but it was on the water and living was cheap.
He bounced back and forth from there to the Cali Rio Vista Delta area when he retired.
That sumbitch drove that commute the whole way.
I wondered where I got that from .
I’m with you. I think Mexico has a lot of beautiful places but crime and political uncertainty keep me from buying.
One friend swears Acapulco is super safe and may buy a condo there. Some other friends were in Cozumel at a hotel and got rousted up and put against a wall by gunmen and told leave or face the consequences.
I don’t need that.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:38 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’m with you. I think Mexico has a lot of beautiful places but crime and political uncertainty keep me from buying.
One friend swears Acapulco is super safe and may buy a condo there. Some other friends were in Cozumel at a hotel and got rousted up and put against a wall by gunmen and told leave or face the consequences.
I don’t need that.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2022...apulco-mexico/

Old 07-03-2022, 09:12 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,197 times
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/02/thes...rchterm=mexico

Old 07-06-2022, 07:13 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Thanks for the links. They will be some good reading.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:32 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Acapulco and the state of Guerrero have been one of the more violent states in recent years. The US state dept has Guerrero designated as a Do Not Travel To destination along with Michoacan, Colima, Tamaulipas and Sinaloa (although I was just in Morelia, Michoacan and the city felt very safe). The beaches in Acapulco are nice but for me it is way to HOT AND HUMID there plus the crime.

I just visited Queretaro and it's surrounding mountains (7K feet). The state is one of the safest in all of Mexico and the city never averages more that 90F anytime of year and has very little humidity. The mountains were very pleasant this time of year, at times somewhat chilly at night.

Now look at Texas and how many consecutive 3 digit temp weeks its had, YIKES! Frankly, I'm surprised Mexico is not too far behind Texas in this poll.

Last edited by malcorub16; 07-09-2022 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-14-2022, 11:02 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Acapulco and the state of Guerrero have been one of the more violent states in recent years. The US state dept has Guerrero designated as a Do Not Travel To destination along with Michoacan, Colima, Tamaulipas and Sinaloa
I was on the coast surfing in northern Guerrero and southern Michoacan a few weeks ago for a long vacation. I didn't feel any less safe than in my home in CA.

Parts of Acapulco remain unsafe and there still are some very dangerous mountain villages in both those states. Most tourists won't have problems with those. The National Guard is often deployed to regions where tourists (domestic and international) frequent to keep things safe. Generally in Mexico the Federales/army are less corrupt too than local cops so this is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California