Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times

Advertisements

If he is from North Carolina i will agree about one thing he said, now that i am here myself, it does remind me of how Calif.was about 25 years ago or so.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
CA is still good in the northern third, much more reasonable costs of living, less crime, less illegals, less crowding and the weather is great! Yuba city comes to mind, my friend's parents bought a huge house there with cash from selling their tiny house in south CA! I would not bash CA, but I just wouldnt live in LA or other high crime metro south CA cities. FL likewise is good in the northern third and theres some good pockets in central FL

Old 01-07-2007, 03:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
I hate it when people generalize the entire state.

I live in California,and have food on the table,I'm getting my bills paid,never heard a drive by shooting,never met a gangster,rarely any crime where I live and the traffic is tolerable.

Yup,that's my life in the Diastrous Third World State of California

California can be Good or Bad depending on your location and income and on how you choose to live your life here.

When your given seeds,it won't grow by itself,but you have to plant it and water it for the seeds to grow.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:35 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy29 View Post

I live in California,and have food on the table,I'm getting my bills paid,never heard a drive by shooting,never met a gangster,rarely any crime where I live and the traffic is tolerable.

Yup,that's my life in the Disastrous Third World State of California

California can be Good or Bad depending on your location and income and on how you choose to live your life here.

When your given seeds,it won't grow by itself,but you have to plant it and water it for the seeds to grow.
Yep.

~Cali-girl

Last edited by Cali-girl; 01-07-2007 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-07-2007, 04:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:

But that's just it...the income part...and how BIG an income you need to accomplish what would be nothing more than the Average American Dream anywere else. Nobody disputes that California is a great place for the economically privileged. The problem with the Garden of California is that more seeds were planted than there is water to irrigate them with and land to sustain them.

But the economic welfare of the U.S. as a country is inextricably linked to the fate of California. It is a HUGE chunk of the national economy. If California goes under, the rest of the U.S. will sink with it.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:54 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
But that's just it...the income part...and how BIG an income you need to accomplish what would be nothing more than the Average American Dream anywere else. Nobody disputes that California is a great place for the economically privileged. The problem with the Garden of California is that more seeds were planted than there is water to irrigate them with and land to sustain them.

But the economic welfare of the U.S. as a country is inextricably linked to the fate of California. It is a HUGE chunk of the national economy. If California goes under, the rest of the U.S. will sink with it.
How big of an income you ask.Honestly, at least 100k to aford a home,car food,gass bills etc.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:

I second this.

This afternoon while I was out running errands, it was great to be able to wear a T-shirt and shorts---in January! My friend in Omaha is freezing his tail off with a daytime high in the low 30s. (Sometimes I like to call him up and rub it in his face. Hehehe!!! )

Old 01-07-2007, 10:45 PM

37 posts, read 137,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I second this.

This afternoon while I was out running errands, it was great to be able to wear a T-shirt and shorts---in January! My friend in Omaha is freezing his tail off with a daytime high in the low 30s. (Sometimes I like to call him up and rub it in his face. Hehehe!!! )
We just left CA for the reasons the OP stated. DH was offered a job for $60K in Oklahoma City vs the paltry $40K he made as a high tech computer nerd in the Central Valley. Our rent in Edmond (OKC suburb) is 47% less than it was in CA and we will actually be able to afford a home that's not in a gang infested ghetto in 6 months.

Yay for the shorts in January......... I just paid $1.97/gal for gas today :::snickers:::

Last edited by FutureFormerCalifornian; 01-07-2007 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: add'l information

Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Well, the daytime highs here in Northern Cal have been in the 30s a couple days this last week.

In 15-20 years California will be like a third world country .... just like the rest of the USA. It's simply a matter of which combination of pandemic, peak oil, disastrous sudden climate change, worldwide depression or terrorist nukings will happen to bring down our civilization.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:37 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,525 times
CA is an awesome place, if you make 200K & above. 100K unless you are single will be barely making it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California