Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
In 15-20 years California will be like a third world country .... just like the rest of the USA. It's simply a matter of which combination of pandemic, peak oil, disastrous sudden climate change, worldwide depression or terrorist nukings will happen to bring down our civilization.
Interesting that you should say that. I've written about the "perfect storm" of hardship that I see coming from a confluence of three factors: 1.) a gradual, but huge, loss of productive capital that comes from the retirement of the baby boomers, 2.) peak oil and 3.) a quantum leap in global climate change. They should all reach a critical threshold around 2030-2035. And of course, by then the world population will be well over 8 billion, so we will be having a population size that is increasingly impossible to sustain just as our resources to sustain even half that number have wasted away. I'm glad to see others are seeing the big picture.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I second this.

This afternoon while I was out running errands, it was great to be able to wear a T-shirt and shorts---in January! My friend in Omaha is freezing his tail off with a daytime high in the low 30s. (Sometimes I like to call him up and rub it in his face. Hehehe!!! )
So have we in North Carolina right now

Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,093 times
Most people think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Sure, you might be able to afford a house in the Edmonton area, but you will never have the nice weather that Socal has.

My wife and I feel that living in the NY Metro is just as expensive, so why not move to San Diego and at least have nicer weather (and rent is more reasonable).

To those moving to colder states, remember that you'll have to suck it up come winter and summer with your heating and electric bills!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Jaybird, you are correct about the high heating bills and high A/C bills that come in living in a cold climate. It is a double whammy for most of the months of the year. There might be a small reprieve if there's a nice Spring; it the warm weather has arrived, before the humidity strikes. Lately, in NE OH (where I live) - it seems that the spring is shorter than ever before and heat and humidity start early. We have been extremely fortunate with a mild winter (thus far - knock on wood).

We've lived in CA before, moved back here 22 years ago in order to have and raise our family. The only reason that we moved back here is because both of our families were here - that's the ONLY reason. It was absolutely the right decision.

I look forward to relocating again, hopefully back to CA, for the positive reasons many have mentioned already on the various threads.

Take care.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Default The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
Ca. is headed down a path in which 15- to 20 years from now it will be like a third world country. The political decisions as well as immigration and foolish mortaging of the debt, will come to destroy this once great state.
I don't think so. Like dusesean1986 wrote, "California is purely what you make it."

Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Interesting that you should say that. I've written about the "perfect storm" of hardship that I see coming from a confluence of three factors: 1.) a gradual, but huge, loss of productive capital that comes from the retirement of the baby boomers, 2.) peak oil and 3.) a quantum leap in global climate change. They should all reach a critical threshold around 2030-2035. And of course, by then the world population will be well over 8 billion, so we will be having a population size that is increasingly impossible to sustain just as our resources to sustain even half that number have wasted away. I'm glad to see others are seeing the big picture.
Sounds like a very plausible scenario, Steve, I'd be interested in reading that book or article of yours.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 AM
WJD

38 posts, read 195,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
California is purely what you make it.
No..............what you can put up with!

Last edited by WJD; 01-09-2007 at 02:18 AM..

Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Well, if "what you can put up with" is what you make it then "California is purely what you make it." How about making the best of what you're "putting up with"?

Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 AM

318 posts, read 1,317,207 times
I have lived in CA for most of my 52 years. Born and raised here. There is no place like CA. I've lived for a short time in other states. Always wanting to come back to that green, CA.

But I have to say...I live in a nice area in the foothills. Nice schools, nice neighborhood. Small town. What a price tag to live here. We make about $6,000. a month and half of that goes on a house payment and the taxes. By the time you get done with car payments, clothes, food, gas, and energy bills, and calif. Insurance (car & home)...there is nothing left.

If someone told me 30 years ago that I would be barely able to get by on $6,000. a month. I would have thought they were extreme in their views for the future.

We are planning to retire in a different state. Fixed income living is unreal in CA. Most folks I know my age are looking at other state...unless they bought their home 30 years ago and have it paid off.

Well...just thought I would weigh in here and give a baby boomers view.

Izzy

Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Enjoy So Cal weather.. sure.. along with enough pollutants to make it the most polluted metropolis in the US... the superfund sites make the map look like it has freckles

There is life other than So Cal.. and there are places where the weather is bearable.. I hate weather extremes... we have them here in Redding.. but I would take it anyday over the smog and pollution of so cal...

I used to think the northern L.A. County beaches were cleaner.. certainly they have less needles in the sand.. then I began going up with our station chopper guys as an observer... seeing the ocean floor polluted out for several miles in muck/ trash/ gunge from the city.. 25 miles to the north,,, well.. that about sums up what ISNT seen by most Los Angeles residents but they still get to breath /eat / bath in...

all for the want of great weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California