Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:24 AM

166 posts, read 490,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
It all comes down to what everyone's priorities are. For us, if we have to choose between spending quality time with our family, or working twice as hard to have fancier "stuff," then we choose time with our family.
It's not only that most people have to work twice as hard just to have the 'fancier stuff,' but many must do so just to provide the basics. And then it's never enough....

Awhile after we moved out there, my ex and one of her girls really became very materialistically obsessive after awhile, when for years before that hadn't been the case. Even my most grounded friends seemed to share some degree of that, and most were very 'real' in comparison to most folks I'd met out there or anywhere else. I wasn't unaffected to a point either. It comes with the territory though...without making an exceptional salary (IMO, at least 150K) many people find it difficult to own a home (these days) and spend quality time pursuing activities or family life.

But then again wealth doesn't equal a great family life either. Although I met many fine parents who tried to raise their kids right, I'd never seen such a large degree of collectively unappreciative and spoiled-rotten kids anywhere I'd lived previously. And there were so many parents who just seemed to attempt buying their kids' affection and obedience, or who used the general ultra-liberalism of the area to excuse behavior or actions that most elsewhere would be considered highly unacceptable.

I'll miss the Bay Area for more than just the weather and proximity to the ocean, but there were also aspects of the place that made me greatly appreciate other places that I'd once taken for granted. During the first few months away it was quite an adjustment, but after a little over 6 months out I wouldn't leave the St. Louis area to come back anytime soon except to visit. My overall quality of live is just much better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathegg88 View Post
Yes, the weather here is probably the only thing I'll miss when I move back to Pittsburgh this year.
I was one of the smart ones and left California in 1994. I'm glad I left. Every winter is a struggle. My advice to all of you that have plans to leave SoCal be sure to plan a couple trips to the sun every year.Starting around October to April the weather in the Pacific Northwest changes. You don't know how it will affect you until you experience it but it is a major lifestyle change. The great thing though is that when you leave CA you will actually have some extra cash to afford a trip or two.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
Some posts on here are from people who left CA, but miss it so much, they want to come back. So before I move, I am making myself a "reminder list" of all the things that are reasons why I want to leave. When I'm feeling homesick, or cursing the winter weather in the midwest, I will take out my handy dandy "note to self" and try remember what is important in life and why we made the decision we did. I will not miss the smog, traffic, crowds, and chaos that IS California. I will only miss the 70 degree days in January. But these sunny days have not made me any happier, I'm stuck indoors at work all day and it's dark by the time I get home anyway. Mild weather is overrated. Unless you are independently wealthy and can lie out on the beach all day. But if you are a middle class working family like we are, warm weather doesn't really benefit me that much, other than during my 10 break at work.
If you do, just wait until you've gotten used to the new place, the air, the people, the pace, all that... then come back to visit cali. You'll notice how the air smells, how your short of breath, how many people there are and how rude everyone is... and you'll be so happy to go home.

I couldn't wait to get back to my house and yard and air I could breath after thanksgiving was over and I could go back home to Ok.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:14 AM

137 posts, read 384,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian View Post
That is why I said that I was having trouble coming up with places. My dad gets church folks bugging him 3-4 times a week in Texas. He bought a sheik looking outfit with the head piece that he keeps by the door now. So, when the people he has told countless times to stop bugging him, keep coming by, he puts on the sheik head piece to mess with them.

Some of his neighbors in Texas spray painted his Obama-Biden sign and threw stuff at the house. He said that it was cool when on Halloween a group of black kids (~12-13) knocked on the door and said they didn't want candy, but to only shake his hand.

Or like in Kansas where they were burning Harry Potter books. I just don't want to be in an environment like that. It is like Colin Powell said, "And so what if Obama is Muslim." I would prefer to investigate a place where the predominant belief isn't to hate something different, like Muslims. It is like the McCarthy era except Communist has just been swapped with Muslim.
I lived in and around the Dallas area for over 20 years and I have lived in San Diego more than ten years and honestly, I have had more religious/church people knock on my door here in San Diego than I ever did in Dallas. Not to defend TX b/c I wouldn't want to live there again but just saying....you can't base a move on that one factor.
Having said that, there are places I wouldn't want to live based on political views so.....

We are looking at places in New England, and the mid-Atlantic area. My husband is from NJ but doesn't necesarrily want to live there again. It's a big country, if you have the time and money, take a road trip until you find your utopia.

That's what I want to do.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
BMG

6 posts, read 11,657 times
Default Confusion..?

Hello all,

I was hoping to receive some advise from the many varied and experienced movers on this forum.

I'm from SoCal, born and raised, but I want to leave,...badly. The place I have been looking are Oregon, Washington, possibly Texas, Colorado, but not entirely sure. Oregon, or Northern California are most likely, but I'm open to many others.

I'm 25 years old, have very few possessions, and can live off of very little (a job paying at least $10/hr is enough for me). I am planning on renting a room for ~$400/month. I have my last semester at a junior college, and I'll earn my AA, and in due time, transfer to an undergrad school for my BA.

But, again, if anyone has any advice as to which places may suit me, or have any advice on the ones I am looking at, it would be greatly appreciated if you would provide it.

Thank you much,

Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG View Post
I want to leave,...badly.
Why?

Also, are there financial ramifications with non-residency if you continue your education out of state?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Texas

Low cost of housing

Cheap land

Lots of jobs for now

I am in it for the money.

Honestly, I am looking for a live work city that means a city with low taxes and low cost of living. I'd rather go on vacation than go to all the night life in town lol.

Quote:
I'm 25 years old, have very few possessions, and can live off of very little (a job paying at least $10/hr is enough for me). I am planning on renting a room for ~$400/month. I have my last semester at a junior college, and I'll earn my AA, and in due time, transfer to an undergrad school for my BA.
ha, sounds exactly like me except I am 21. Junior accounting student working for BA (and studying for CPA exam).

Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 AM

154 posts, read 910,311 times
Quote:
It's not only that most people have to work twice as hard just to have the 'fancier stuff,' but many must do so just to provide the basics. And then it's never enough....

Awhile after we moved out there, my ex and one of her girls really became very materialistically obsessive after awhile, when for years before that hadn't been the case. Even my most grounded friends seemed to share some degree of that, and most were very 'real' in comparison to most folks I'd met out there or anywhere else. I wasn't unaffected to a point either. It comes with the territory though...without making an exceptional salary (IMO, at least 150K) many people find it difficult to own a home (these days) and spend quality time pursuing activities or family life.

But then again wealth doesn't equal a great family life either. Although I met many fine parents who tried to raise their kids right, I'd never seen such a large degree of collectively unappreciative and spoiled-rotten kids anywhere I'd lived previously. And there were so many parents who just seemed to attempt buying their kids' affection and obedience, or who used the general ultra-liberalism of the area to excuse behavior or actions that most elsewhere would be considered highly unacceptable.

I'll miss the Bay Area for more than just the weather and proximity to the ocean, but there were also aspects of the place that made me greatly appreciate other places that I'd once taken for granted. During the first few months away it was quite an adjustment, but after a little over 6 months out I wouldn't leave the St. Louis area to come back anytime soon except to visit. My overall quality of live is just much better now.
I agree 100%. I left CA for several years, lived in two other states, then came back. I too, noticed how my old friends had changed, had become much more materialistic and shallow. And yes, they too were more "real" than most, but still, they were MUCH different than I had remembered them! Some of my friends had become so phony, that I really no longer had anything in common with them so we don't even talk anymore! Which I think is very sad! I am not talking about people in Orange County either, I'm talking about people in the Sacramento area! Yes, the Hollywood wanna-be lifestyle has arrived in Northern CA. It seemed to really start getting bad about 5 years ago, and is progressively getting worse. Saying that some people are getting obsessive about it, is an understatement! If I see one more little dog in a pink carrier in the grovcery store, I'm going to scream! We are headed to the Midwest in a few months, and I am looking forward to a better, more "real" way of life. Quality of life with your family should not be based on buying expensive things, or paying big bucks to primp yourself to look like Paris Hilton. At the end of the day, it's who you are on the INSIDE that matters most.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Denver, Colorado.
If you have any questions about Denver, feel free to ask. We relocated from San Jose, CA over 3 years ago. It's a great place to live. We're making plans to move back to NorCal to be closer to family but will avoid the Bay Area. If I could move all of our family out here, I'd probably prefer that.

I would recommend Denver to anyone from CA who wants all 4 seasons, just as many sunny days year round as San Diego (or more), mild winters in comparison to most places where it snows, most of the amenities and conveniences found in CA, and especially for those who like outdoor activities like hiking, etc. Moving to an area that snows might be a shock for some, but in general, Denver is fairly mild compared to most areas where it snows. This winter has seen a bunch of 60 degree days so far, and even a few in the 70's. The crazy part is that it can be 60 one day and 20 the next - I've seen that happen in the past week already. The past 2 months have been mostly in the high 50's and low 60's with very little snow. Of course, as I'm writing this it's snowing and freezing.

Denver has a LOT of great qualities. Coming from someone who never thought they'd leave CA, and didn't think they'd ever move back, take this for what it's worth. If the Pacific Northwest was as sunny as Denver and CA, we might have moved there. I just can't handle weeks of no sunshine.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,662 times
pick TEXAS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California