Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
The bold part is the info that you can't get from a real estate brochure or the chamber of commerce.

In California there is a definite openness to strangers. Probably because people move around so much and all the immigrants. I ask these questions because I'll be retiring out of state. My chosen place looks good on paper but getting to know the locals before you get there is the hardest part. I've met a few and they are cool and like my out look on life. But the ones I've met have said that there are others who are xenophobic to the max. Like you said, they have never been out of the county, let alone the state.

thx for the info.
I would have to disagree with that. I lived in a neighborhood for over 20 years in socal and knew only a couple of people. You neither saw nor saw any hint that the others wanted to be seen. When my son was little we did meet some of the parents, but then I wouldn't have wanted to otherwise, nor their kids.

The apartment I lived at I "met" people. They all knew me as my dog's mom. I got to be friends with a couple of people who lived next to me and wished a couple more would please please please move, but generally didn't feel like anyone was interested in more than saying hi to my dog.

But I get here and the neighbors across the street come over to see if I need anything. Total strangers. The guy next door gave me some pretty potted flowers since it looked so bare. Nobody has pushed me to go to church. Everyone has been genuinely friendly and welcoming and would help in an emergency unasked.

I never felt that in California.

One thing, if you move out of state, is to leave your image of what you want the place to be in California. If its slower, if there are a lot of cars parked, if you see your neighbors cleaning their rifles on their porch, don't get upset and try to change it. You moved to their community. If you don't like it don't move there. If you choose to fit in people will be glad to welcome you. If you have to "improve" it then you may find yourself alone. So do research, go to the town, area you want to move and visit for a while, talk to people, see if it is a place you can accept as is.

California was occupied and dissapeared under all the migration there especially from south of the border. If you are tired of what California has become remember to not bring the same to your chosen place. If you don't feel like you can accept it as is, find somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
There are so many reasons that I could give you as to why my husband and I dislike where we are now. But I won't waste your time or bash the place we are now. Some that have moved here enjoy it and others like us are miserable. Employement is not a factor with us and something that we don't have to worry about. Does California have problems; yes just as most other areas have. Is California right for everyone, no. It depends on the individual and their circumstances.

There were many things and reasons why we left California. But as the saying goes "The grass isn't always greener on the other side".

In California there are so many things that my husband and I enjoy doing. The people are so much more outgoing and friendly. I've heard so long about how Californians are rude, snoby etc. Especially before I moved there in the 90's. I didn't see that. That was individuals that had never been there. I was raised in the south and am now in Tennessee. The people here fit that profile. It doesn't matter how much you reach out to them, they don't want to get to know one another. And as far as being affordable; that's not always the case outside of California. I would suggest to anyone wanting to move out of California for more affordability to check on everything before hand. Make sure you know all the tax issues, check on how much your car ins and health ins would be. Check on utilities and such and see what it would cost. See how much groceries would cost and also if you would take a huge pay cut where your going. All that factors in to see if it's more affordable. I sure wish I would have done that. That was my fault.

I know it's hard to understand why people would want to come back to California, especially now with the way things are. But for us; it is.
That about sums up my thoughts on the matter exactly. Plus, I live in Arizona where it gets ridiculously hot in the summer. And I live with my parents.

If that's not an incentive to move, I don't know what is?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 PM

341 posts, read 688,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What event or overall condition happening in California would make you say, "Enough. I'm leaving."? This isn't a question for people who've already decided to leave. We all know the laundry list of reasons posted here. I'm interested in hearing from people who have no plans to leave. What would it take to make you move?
Let's see too many
liberals
tree huggers
gay marriages
judges overturning the peoples vote
octomom
a raise in income tax
a doubleing of the car registration
a raise in sales tax
greedy politicians
no decent state budget
a bankrupt state
I guess that sums it up and brought us to the conclusion we need to think about moving. Hey the weathers real nice though

Old 03-08-2009, 11:42 PM

177 posts, read 706,018 times
If it wasn't part of the USA anymore. If it remains a US state, I have no intentions on leaving since I'm a native Californian/Westerner.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I would have to disagree with that. I lived in a neighborhood for over 20 years in socal and knew only a couple of people. You neither saw nor saw any hint that the others wanted to be seen. When my son was little we did meet some of the parents, but then I wouldn't have wanted to otherwise, nor their kids.

The apartment I lived at I "met" people. They all knew me as my dog's mom. I got to be friends with a couple of people who lived next to me and wished a couple more would please please please move, but generally didn't feel like anyone was interested in more than saying hi to my dog.

But I get here and the neighbors across the street come over to see if I need anything. Total strangers. The guy next door gave me some pretty potted flowers since it looked so bare. Nobody has pushed me to go to church. Everyone has been genuinely friendly and welcoming and would help in an emergency unasked.

I never felt that in California.

One thing, if you move out of state, is to leave your image of what you want the place to be in California. If its slower, if there are a lot of cars parked, if you see your neighbors cleaning their rifles on their porch, don't get upset and try to change it. You moved to their community. If you don't like it don't move there. If you choose to fit in people will be glad to welcome you. If you have to "improve" it then you may find yourself alone. So do research, go to the town, area you want to move and visit for a while, talk to people, see if it is a place you can accept as is.

California was occupied and dissapeared under all the migration there especially from south of the border. If you are tired of what California has become remember to not bring the same to your chosen place. If you don't feel like you can accept it as is, find somewhere else.
I do agree that you can't try to change the new place where you move to. That just doesn't cut it. And I am glad that you have found your place that you can call home. I sure wish we could have called Nashville our home. But it's just not for us.

Like I suggested before; anyone wanting to move anywhere needs to check out EVERYTHING prior to moving to a new place.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 AM

303 posts, read 845,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
That about sums up my thoughts on the matter exactly. Plus, I live in Arizona where it gets ridiculously hot in the summer. And I live with my parents.

If that's not an incentive to move, I don't know what is?
That's the situation I'm in, only I'm in Texas and stuck in this situation because I can't afford to live on my own due to being unemployed.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
After I do return to California, nothing, nothing, I repeat NOTHING will make me leave again, not even $100 million bucks!
Be careful with works like nothing and never. They have a way of coming back to bite you. I find it real hard to believe there's no circumstance that could cause you to leave California again.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I have to agree with the "nothing" and "never" and "not even for $100 million bucks". I left once and came back. You'd have to kill me and dismember my body and transport me to another state for burial to get me to leave. I'm that adamant about it.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:47 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I have to agree with the "nothing" and "never" and "not even for $100 million bucks". I left once and came back. You'd have to kill me and dismember my body and transport me to another state for burial to get me to leave. I'm that adamant about it.
So you're saying that if California turned into Darfur, you'd stick it out?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
phoenix would have to become ocean front property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California