Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM

219 posts, read 506,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
it didn't seem any different that driving in Los Angeles.
Exactly my point. But again not an issue if you've lived in the valley for any length of time. You just automatically expect people to drive rudely whether they're from SoCal or not. Said a different way, Phoenix drivers are rude.

Quote:
Phoenix as a suburb of LA
That's just about right. The California side of the desert ends at Palm Springs. From there west it's all infrastructure.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Boy, are you right. Oregonians seem to have huge issues with California & make it abundantly clear to stay out of Oregon
Something I have no problem doing, unless forced to by necessity when driving to Western Washington. When I'm going to Spokane, I can bypass Oregon completely by taking 15 to 90.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Have you also noticed how resident Californians seem to hold no rival animosity towards Arizonans and Nevadans? I've never heard "those GDSOB AZ a'holes. Truth be told, we don't notice them at all. This might not hold true for the state line border towns, but I don't know about those places.

Now Oregon, that's another story.
Ever heard the term "Zonies" referring to Arizona? I even heard it used on the news a couple times when I lived there.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,919 times
Quote:
Have you also noticed how resident Californians seem to hold no rival animosity towards Arizonans and Nevadans? I've never heard "those GDSOB AZ a'holes. Truth be told, we don't notice them at all. This might not hold true for the state line border towns, but I don't know about those places.

Now Oregon, that's another story.
That's not true at all. When my friends and I would go somewhere and find the parking lots full of Az cars, you'd most definitely hear something about those f'in zoners...every state has someone they don't like intruding or dog on.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Ever heard the term "Zonies" referring to Arizona? I even heard it used on the news a couple times when I lived there.
Nope.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
That's not true at all. When my friends and I would go somewhere and find the parking lots full of Az cars, you'd most definitely hear something about those f'in zoners...every state has someone they don't like intruding or dog on.
Where was this?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,919 times
Quote:
Where was this?

I'm from San Diego, lived there all my life till 2001.
Editing to add that Nevada was never really an issue. you don't see many Nv plates, like you do AZ.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 PM

50 posts, read 149,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Hate California and Californians? No, not ALL of the State, and not ALL of the people.
Do I detest the Californians who moved into the Flathead Valley in Northwestern Montana, and ruined it for the people who live there? Yes, it is a bad thing when the place where you grew up has been overrun by people who are trying to remake it into CA NE. We can't stand to go "home" anymore, it isn't "home"!
For example, the guy driving a car with CA plates on it, who circled a friend's home near Kalispell several times, then parked in the drive and came to the door. When my friend answered the door, the guy says "I like your house, how much?" When told it wasn't for sale, the guy said something like "I'll give you 1.5 times the appraised value!" My friend said he wouldn't screw over his neighbors like that, but the guy didn't want to take "NO" for an answer. Sure, it isn't right to paint ALL CA people with the same brush, but hey, that's the way it is, deal with it.
There was even a bumper sticker prevalent in the area that said "let's don't Californicate Montana".
Sadly, it happened anyway.
As for moving to the State, you don't have to worry about this ol' boy ever doing something that crazy! We have been there twice, on contract, 3 to six months each. Once on the coast, and once in the mountains. California is the only place I have ever been where people drive 60 to 70 MPH in a snowstorm. Downhill, and around curves, at that!
I won't live in a State where there is BOTH a sales tax AND an income tax, and they STILL can't balance the budget!
There is more, but that is enough from this old transplated Pennsylvanian.
YEP! My point exactly!!!

And yes, as Oregonians have a historical 'beef' with Californians invading the state (yes, it is seen as an invasion bc that's the nicer of words that could be used). Here's a link: Why Oregonians Hate Californians Pretty much explains it all. I think Bend, Oregon (or as I like to call it mini-California) is a prime example of the devistation that Californians cause the Oregon RE market. It's a bad cycle- they move in, drive up costs, make it so Oregonians can't afford it there and then it's just a mini-Cali with attitude and all.
I really didn't understand the hate until I was in the middle of NO WHERE central Oregon fishing a small creek and suddenly some IDIOT comes and fishes NEXT TO ME?!? WTH? It's not like there's not another 20 sq mi around with no people fishing- but this guy had to fish next to me... I of course grab my gear and climb to the road- CA plates- of course- know why? Because no Oregonian would do that plain and simple.
In fact when I was living in SoCal I actually used an Oregon addy to buy an Oregon ppty bc I knew I couldn't bid down if they found out I lived in CA.
Liberal?!? I think CA is the anti-liberal (but I lived in SD so very military). I actually think Oregon, & Washington are way more progressively liberal states. Maybe north of Sacramento but not south of there.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,008 times
I believe the mass migration of Californians to other states was due to the value of property here. The radical appreciation of real estate was really tempting for many to just sell their house for a huge profit & then move to another state in order to purchase a much bigger home for alot less. People were able to retire early by selling their homes & then living in a less expensive state [generally in the West].

That has probably ended now that we are in a depression I also was excited by the high value of my home a few years ago & thought that I would also be able to sell my house & retire to Chico where I was raised.

But all of this is capitalistic practice that has caused more problems for our nation rather than boost the economy. I would be upset if a bunch of mainland Chinese bought up all the real estate in my neighborhood [like I hear is happening].

Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
[quote=Redraven;8109642
For example, the guy driving a car with CA plates on it, who circled a friend's home near Kalispell several times, then parked in the drive and came to the door. When my friend answered the door, the guy says "I like your house, how much?" When told it wasn't for sale, the guy said something like "I'll give you 1.5 times the appraised value!" My friend said he wouldn't screw over his neighbors like that, but the guy didn't want to take "NO" for an answer.
There was even a bumper sticker prevalent in the area that said "let's don't Californicate Montana".
[/QUOTE]

This is the third time I have read this exact same story. Only it was an Illinois man in Wisconsin, and a Californian in Oregon. It happened to someones "friend" each time. And always the guy wouldnt take no for an answer and forced the poor homeowners to sell their homes and make tons of money.
Tom McCall,(late gov Oregon) coined the term "Dont Californicate Oregon" back in the early 70's. I guess many people are afraid of all you fornicating Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California