Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As a person of color, I take issue with this insistence that your desire to marry is the same as my struggle for civil rights.

And I applaud the people of California for sending a message loud and clear to the nation and world that we will not be pressured by a single subsection of society to bend or waiver just to suit their agenda.
And I respectfully disagree with you. I was in Washington for the "I have a dream speech" and I marched in Selma and went to jail for civil rights in Georgia and Alabama.....and I am active in the movement for marriage equality. I am sorry that you are unable to see beyond your own situation.....but I am convinced the struggle is exactly the same.....Mrs. Corretta Scott King felt the same as I do about it. It is the same struggle. You apparently dropped out once you got yours, but we will never turn back and we shall overcome.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 AM

701 posts, read 2,031,278 times
^Pretty sure gay people were never misplaced and then enslaved...

Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
And I respectfully disagree with you. I was in Washington for the "I have a dream speech" and I marched in Selma and went to jail for civil rights in Georgia and Alabama.....and I am active in the movement for marriage equality. I am sorry that you are unable to see beyond your own situation.....but I am convinced the struggle is exactly the same.....Mrs. Corretta Scott King felt the same as I do about it. It is the same struggle. You apparently dropped out once you got yours, but we will never turn back and we shall overcome.
How can you respectfully disagree and then tell me that I cannot see beyond my own situation and I have dropped out once I got mine?

LOL

See, this is where the waters get muddied and church and state inevitably mix.

What you call Equality, I call Sin.

So what do we do then?

Why not remove Marriage from Civil Law and give it back to churches. And then make all couples, gay or straight enter into civil unions that give all the rights and protections currently given only to married couples.

That satisfies the demands of equality and faith. And separates church and state.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexus View Post
excellent montclair. This is exactly my point as well.

You're ok. I don't care what they say about you.
lol

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As a person of color, I take issue with this insistence that your desire to marry is the same as my struggle for civil rights.

And I applaud the people of California for sending a message loud and clear to the nation and world that we will not be pressured by a single subsection of society to bend or waiver just to suit their agenda.
So the group that suffers the most gets to "pressure" society to "bend to its agenda"? That people of color suffered terribly in their struggle doesn't mean that another group that struggles in far more enlightened times should be looked down upon, which seems to be what you're doing here. You're not gay so maybe you can't understand this just as I'm not a person of color so I'll never understand life through your eyes. But at least I can empathize.

Just to clarify, there is NO agenda, just a demand for equality (edit: something you said is just sin in a post made after the one I quote above, but I agree about the separation of church and state). Were there fools in the 1930s (plus or minus) who thought people of color had an agenda? That kind of thinking is just as demonizing without justification.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM

282 posts, read 526,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except they do, it's called "sex education" and kids start learning it in the 5th grade. How is that not teaching about men and women being together?

I think that is learning about conception isn't it?? Do they teach about sex for pleasure in schools??? I thought it was more about conception and how people are made~~

Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,699,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPatrick1970 View Post
I'm not religious but I do believe in nature. Two men/women can't hook up and have a child so why should my children learn about this lifestyle? If you put all the gays on an island in the middle of the ocean with infinite amenities, they'll still die off in a generation.
It's because as your children grow and as our society becomes more open your children will run across gay people. Would you rather have your children be scared and runaway and behave based on irrational fears of the unknown or be a positive member to society?

If you believe in Nature and the only reason we should live is to reproduce then we should get rid of women and men who have defunct reproductive organs not gays.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 AM

282 posts, read 526,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Yes, kids learn about men and women getting married and being together and... god forbid, making babies..

Hey, my kids ain't black, so why should they learn about the black experience in America?

My guess is that those who are jumping up and down at the thought of a gay day, had grandparents that jumped up and down in horror at blacks getting civil rights, my gawd, some of em might marry white girls!!
You are right ..they learn about making babies! Something that gay people can not do...naturally anyway~~So what is the point to teach sexual preferences in schools?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
"LIFESTYLE" that is exactly what it is and I don't think it needs to be taught in school...kids do not learn about men and women getting married and being together so why learn about gays? It doesn't make sense to me...another reason to leave California. I do not hate gay people but I do not think it is something that needs to be brought into the schools...HOOOORAY THERE ARE GAY PEOPLE COME ON CLASS LETS CELEBRATE!!! Sounds kinda dumb to me!
I don't think being gay is a lifestyle its a life that someones lives.

If you don't want lifestyles taught in school then why do we teach history at all. History if filled with lifestyles like religion, military, fashion, music, arts, etc. These all occurred due to a lifestyle choice someone made, gay is not a choice someone makes (it's absurd that people actually think people choose to be gay especially in a society where life is already hard enough being yourself).

Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
You are right ..they learn about making babies! Something that gay people can not do...naturally anyway~~So what is the point to teach sexual preferences in schools?
Lets behead all the ladies who can't reproduce. They don't play a part in "nature" anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California