Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 PM

44 posts, read 134,227 times

Advertisements

WOW this thread sure has gone in so many different directions. Very interesting and entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I'm young, and look hispanic (tho I am not). I'm mullato
So are my kids, but they don't dress like gang bangers. (Kids are young and look hispanic.) The truth is that for the majority of Hispanics they are not in gangs. Your assuming that just because someone is a person of color that they are in a gang. Your also assuming that the entire state is one big gang wasteland. I live in Oxnard a place that many say is gang infested and I would have a hard time finding any gang members that I know of in my neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
What an incredibly stupid response... Yes, we're just all a bunch of freaks and weirdos. Sure there are some weirdos here- just like weirdos can be found anywhere else in the entire world for that matter! There are over 7 million of us. Are you seriously lumping all of us into the same boat. The Bay Area is probably one of the most diverse places in the entire country and you can pretty much find every type of person here. And for the most part, people live together pretty well. So, where are you from? You seem to be a vast ocean of knowledge regarding the Bay Area. I'd love for you to impart some of your wisdom about my life-long home to me. I'm sure you could teach me so much. In case you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, it's being laid on pretty thick. If you're going to make ignorant comments, be prepared to back them up. Hopefully some more of my fellow Bay Area neighbors will chime in too.

I'm not going to completely go off topic about this fool's previous comment, but I will try to answer the OP's question.

I personally have never seen any real hostility toward outsiders. I do however think there is an overall mindset of long-time CA residents that we're tired of the over-population. Especially on this forum, it seems like it's everybody's life-long dream to come "make it" in CA. That's probably the biggest annoyance Californians have in general. We see our quality of life slowly and steadily diminishing because too many people keep coming here. Despite that, I think that Californians are generally pretty accepting of anybody who comes here that is willing to work hard and not free-load off the state. People in CA come from all over the world. I think that for the most part we are friendly and accepting and not as judgemental as many people from other parts of the country.
Why did it take so long to get a reasonable and tactful answer like this.

Whats with all the condescending attitudes.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:26 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
I think there is a ton of resentment if the person coming doesn't speak English. I know many places in the nation hate Californians when we move into their area. When I'm traveling within the states, people kinda roll their eyes when I say I'm from California. When I'm out of the country, people love when I say I'm from California. They have no clue how California really is but the idea of the state in their minds is extremely favorable. When I went down to Australia, I got called a Hick, Yankee, and a hippie.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
To the OP, if you are walking around bad parts of any city...that will more likely to happen. That is much more likely to happen if you dress a particular way as well. My buddies got asked that question by a vato because they were wearing wife beatings...he didnt notice the running shorts and shoes. This has never happen to me because I don't like hanging out crappy places and I don't dress like a criminal.

There are plenty of gangs in the south who have this type of attitude. You see this alot about LA because LA has alot of famous gangs. Plus, alot of movies where actually filmed in LA before the city decided to tax the hell out of the industry ten years ago. Hence why you don't see as many movies about LA now. Think about Falling Down, Friday, Blood in Blood Out, etc. all have to do with gangs in LA. It's just like the Hell Angels. You know the name but there are several other large biker gangs like The Mongols.

Regarding the actual question, yes we do. Californians hate when people from other places move here even though so many did the same thing. I remember when I moved back from when I was 14. Everyone was like, "why did you move here?" Once I told them I was born here, they stopped bugging me about moving to California.
Thanks for the insight, and thanks for not showing your a** like most of the rest of the people who responded to this post.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
I've seen, on T.V, on several occasions where mexican gang bangers roll up to someone who is unfamiliar to them and ask the question, "Hey holmes where u from?", and if they give the wrong answer, or don't give the right answer, their ass is grass. I saw this on the history, so it was a true stroy. Is that an extremely rare incident or do you really have to know about where your at (for safety reasons) in california.

I've also heard that the Bay Area can be very insular( especially the natives who have been there for generations), to the point where it rubs off on the some of transplants.

I ask these questions because once I get enough money, I want to move out to california(because it seems like the most progressive state), but I don't know anybody out there. I've also seen some california posters tell people that it would probably be best for them to stay where they're at.

Is there any truth to these pre-concieved notions, or is it because my sources of information are T.V., the internet, and heresay.
Native Californian here, so maybe I'm biased, but I found when I had my little stint in Hell (Texas), the people there were far more intolerant of outsiders - especially Californians - than I've ever seen anybody from CA be to others from out of state. Heck, a pretty good majority of Californians are from some other state or country. I'd say we are very accepting of outsiders.

BUT ... if you roll up on my 'hood here in La Quinta, I might have to ask where ya from and why ya wearing dat color!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight, and thanks for not showing your a** like most of the rest of the people who responded to this post.
Were you offended by my remarks? Wow, I didn't write in a condesending way or meant to offend. You asked something because of what you saw on TV. Maybe my idea of Indiana is skewed because I saw the show "The Middle" or my idea of Miami because of watching the show Miami Vice. Gangs are all over, but not a major factor if you ask me. I have been here most of my life and have never had a problem.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Were you offended by my remarks? Wow, I didn't write in a condesending way or meant to offend.
He was quoting a different poster, not you.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
South Fontana... the suburbs... BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Please move here, you're very entertaining.
I looked up Fontana California, and it is suburbanesque for the most part. It was a farming community as recently as 1913, has a fast growing population, and a density of under 2,000 per sq. mile, which is actually quasi rural. It does have a moderate level of crime, but compared to "real cities" its a joke, however crime is not what makes a place urban. Fontana is definitely not the quintessential picture of urbanity, and if you think so, then you need to get out more.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I've seen, on T.V, on several occasions where mexican gang bangers roll up to someone who is unfamiliar to them and ask the question, "Hey holmes where u from?", and if they give the wrong answer, or don't give the right answer, their ass is grass. I saw this on the history, so it was a true stroy. Is that an extremely rare incident or do you really have to know about where your at (for safety reasons) in california.

I've also heard that the Bay Area can be very insular( especially the natives who have been there for generations), to the point where it rubs off on the some of transplants.

I ask these questions because once I get enough money, I want to move out to california(because it seems like the most progressive state), but I don't know anybody out there. I've also seen some california posters tell people that it would probably be best for them to stay where they're at.

Is there any truth to these pre-concieved notions, or is it because my sources of information are T.V., the internet, and heresay.
Don't pay too much attention to what you see on TV or even read on the net. We have never had any problems with people not treating us with respect in California. Now everyplace is overly friendly, but so what? Not everybody, regardless where you live or visit is overly friendly...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California