Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I know many places in the nation hate Californians when we move into their area.
That doesn't mean we have to return the attitude when they move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
When I'm traveling within the states, people kinda roll their eyes when I say I'm from California.
That's their problem. I never hide where I'm from. It's a good a'hole filter, as in anyone who would judge me by where I'm from is an a'hole and not worth any effort beyond "see ya".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Fontana is definitely not the quintessential picture of urbanity, and if you think so, then you need to get out more.
I'm not claiming it's urban, duf. You're the one who needs to get out more, such as to, ohhhh, California, before you go labeling places you've never heard of as a "suburban bubble". You REALLY are clueless. Come by the barrio if you're ever out this way. I'll give you a tour of this suburban bubble. It's quite the eye-opening experience, and always preferable to looking something up on Wikipedia.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm not claiming it's urban, duf. You're the one who needs to get out more, such as to, ohhhh, California, before you go labeling places you've never heard of as a "suburban bubble". You REALLY are clueless. Come by the barrio if you're ever out this way. I'll give you a tour of this suburban bubble. It's quite the eye-opening experience, and always preferable to looking something up on Wikipedia.
Nothing against suburbs, I actually like them. I'm just not at a point in my life yet where I can afford to live in the burbs.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:

That's their problem. I never hide where I'm from. It's a good a'hole filter, as in anyone who would judge me by where I'm from is an a'hole and not worth any effort beyond "see ya".

Me neither! If someone doesn't like me because I'm from CA, or whatever, who needs 'em? I have plenty of friends. I already have one a$$h0le, I don't really need another one.

Fontana is the bomb! My husband is giving a speech/seminar in Fontana next week to some LEO's.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:

I, in fact find it kinda pathetic that so many of my friends have lived in the same little bubble their entire lives. Most of my friends have done little traveling and several of them have never been on a plane! I'm almost 25! Many born here don't explore the world because they feel everything they need is here. I think that is real naive. These are the ones who questioned me when I moved back to California. Once I told them I was like "one of them", they accepted me.

Everyone would just rather go to "The River" or back to Vegas for the 34th time.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:01 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Quote:
I've seen, on T.V, on several occasions where mexican gang bangers roll up to someone who is unfamiliar to them and ask the question, "Hey holmes where u from?", and if they give the wrong answer, or don't give the right answer, their ass is grass. I saw this on the history, so it was a true stroy. Is that an extremely rare incident or do you really have to know about where your at (for safety reasons) in california.

I've also heard that the Bay Area can be very insular( especially the natives who have been there for generations), to the point where it rubs off on the some of transplants.

I ask these questions because once I get enough money, I want to move out to california(because it seems like the most progressive state), but I don't know anybody out there. I've also seen some california posters tell people that it would probably be best for them to stay where they're at.

Is there any truth to these pre-concieved notions, or is it because my sources of information are T.V., the internet, and heresay.
Well, as some would say 'there is truth to every stereotype', but to echo off the other posters in this thread, I would avoid making snap judgments about life in California based on what you see on television.

I grew up in North Hollywood, which is in the supposedly 'suburb' part of the City of Los Angeles, around people who claimed to be 18th street, Vineland Boyz, BVNS, ABZ, and other nice characters who always spray painted 'x3' or some other tag on the side of every building. However, if you don't look like a gangbanger, you'll be left alone. Don't attract the attention of a gang member, generally avoid the color red, and don't be overly confrontational and you'll be fine in LA.

I went to Berkeley (which is the beating hippie heart of the Bay Area turned into the University of China at Beijing), and I would say maybe about only 30% of people who live in the Bay Area are actually from the Bay Area. There are so many immigrants from all over that its hard to say what kind of attitude the average Bay Area resident has. You really can't generalize a region of 7.5 million people to be all of one thing. However, hipsters do have a penchant of being arrogant, but you can find hipsters no matter where you go.

Come to California when you're ready. It's quite expensive to live anywhere desirable, so consider saving up a whole lot of money in the meantime. Otherwise, I think its absolutely great!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Well, as some would say 'there is truth to every stereotype', but to echo off the other posters in this thread, I would avoid making snap judgments about life in California based on what you see on television.
People on this board seem to have a difficult time distinguishing between a question and a statement. I was not making any judgements about california. I was asking, Is what I've heard/ been exposed to via media, true?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:23 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
People on this board seem to have a difficult time distinguishing between a question and a statement. I was not making any judgements about california. I was asking, Is what I've heard/ been exposed to via media, true?
And you've been told in a variety of ways that no, it's not.
Until you get independent and experience California for yourself instead of relying on other peoples perceptions, you won't know what it's about.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
I'm young, and look hispanic (tho I am not). I'm mullato
And you come across as a wannabe banger with a chip on your shoulder. With that "name" you've chosen, perhaps I should meet you in CA and introduce you to a friend of mine. Her father was the Congressman killed by the Kool-Aid drinkers in Guyana.

And to prove I'm the stereotypical, native Callifornian, my father was born in Chicago in 1920 and my mother in New York in 1922. I was born in San Diego in 1946, married a native Californian and had four children in this state. I'm now married to another native Californian and, obviously, we live elsewhere. You're welcome to take our place!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And you come across as a wannabe banger with a chip on your shoulder. With that "name" you've chosen, perhaps I should meet you in CA and introduce you to a friend of mine. Her father was the Congressman killed by the Kool-Aid drinkers in Guyana.

And to prove I'm the stereotypical, native Callifornian, my father was born in Chicago in 1920 and my mother in New York in 1922. I was born in San Diego in 1946, married a native Californian and had four children in this state. I'm now married to another native Californian and, obviously, we live elsewhere. You're welcome to take our place!

oooo, yikes .... i just noticed what his name is.
How strange.
He sounds and seems quite young so i'm not sure that he even has a clue about Guyana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California