Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 AM

613 posts, read 815,425 times

Advertisements

I would change our desperation to measure up.

We constantly compare and define ourselves as "not American". This often manifests itself as either a desire be more like our southern cousins, or a complete rejection of everything American.

When we discuss our home city or town, it is nearly always whether it measures up to some arbitrary standard.

This is a great country with much to be proud of. I think it is time to simply be quietly confident of that without trying so desperately to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 03:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Most Canadians i know are proud to be Canadians and dont see America as a preferred place to live.
I've lived in America for many years and am always glad to come home to Canada where i'm now happily retired
http://smileys.smilchat.net/smileys/numbers/drapcana2.gif (broken link)

Last edited by jambo101; 06-27-2010 at 03:50 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times
Complete rejection of anything American is absurd. Walk down the street, from Sears to Futureshop, from McDonald's to Starbucks, there is more American than Canadian.

What I want to change about Canadians is to stop being so American, whether we admit it or not.

To jambo101, it sounds contradictory when you say you are so proud and so happy living in Canada while spending "many years" in a foreign country and only came back to retire. So the logic is, I make money and pay taxes in the US, and retire in Canada and receive Canadian benefits?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I've been back for 30 years now.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Well as an American who really likes all the Canadian's I've ever met and loved visits there - I hope nothing!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Up until the Olympics, I would have said something along the lines of "they should not be afraid to be *visibly* proud of their country". I can't tell you how many times my bf (and others) made snide comments to me, an American, about Americans with flags in their yards, or wearing red, white and blue. I would reply, "hey, it's not my choice of yard decor or fashion, but what's the problem?". And then, lo and behold, the dormant patriotism came out last February. I *knew* you guys had it in you!!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 PM

613 posts, read 815,425 times
The follow up posts kind of illustrate my original statement. We never seem to define ourselves as anything other than different / siimilar to Americans. Should we not spend more time considering who we are, not who we are alike or different from?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
The follow up posts kind of illustrate my original statement. We never seem to define ourselves as anything other than different / siimilar to Americans. Should we not spend more time considering who we are, not who we are alike or different from?
I agree. Reading the comments, I'm not sure it'll ever happen, though.

Maybe the problem is that there are "only" 34 millions of Canadians who are dispersed over such huge geographical area, therefore, national identity crisis? For example, between BC and Ontario there are 3 huge provinces where not so many people live, so people in BC may feel disconnected from the rest of the country? Add to this the fact that more than 300 millions Americans live south of the border, and you'll feel the pressure and much more influence from the US than from the rest of the country. I'm wondering what would happen if all 34 million Canadians lived more closely together, in a country, say, the size of California. Would it still be the same?

Populationwise, Canada is 10 times smaller than the US! Populationwise, Canada is a very small country and it's hard to build and maintain national identity if you're so close to the huge (again, populatiowise) powerhouse south of the border. Especially considering how young Canada is as a nation. Add to this huge inflows of new immigrants to both countries every year, and it becomes even more of a challenge: You have this huge cultural, political and ideological pressure from the south and, in addition, to this, you have to integrate hundreds of thousands of newly arrived immigrants.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
Can you please elaborate on that? Who are we that is not alike or not different from anyone else?

Please define what you consider we are that makes us very uniquely Canadian.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Hmmm. I'm hearing crickets.

Anybody else want to try? Who are we?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada