Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,368,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
The reason we here in Canada demand that you take your shoes off is because Canada is God's country. You are standing on holy ground, so you must take your shoes off when visiting.
I am an atheist and Canadian and think you should probably keep your shoes on since the Rocks and Sticks and salmon berry Bear poop are not fun to step in or on IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,319,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I am an atheist and Canadian and think you should probably keep your shoes on since the Rocks and Sticks and salmon berry Bear poop are not fun to step in or on IMO
I find the snow on the floor of the igloo cold unless I get the seal pelts down before guests arrive.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 PM

905 posts, read 793,997 times
From last visit to Ontario/Toronto. Draconian laws against speeding. How bad Harvey's was, that would never survive in the US. Prevalence of junkies. Microbrews crazy expensive. A relative lack of gentrification. Lots of Asians but few blacks or Hispanics. Tim Hortons everywhere. British influence in many place names.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:34 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,859,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
From last visit to Ontario/Toronto. Draconian laws against speeding. How bad Harvey's was, that would never survive in the US. Prevalence of junkies. Microbrews crazy expensive. A relative lack of gentrification. Lots of Asians but few blacks or Hispanics. Tim Hortons everywhere. British influence in many place names.

There is just as strong of a British influence, if not stronger in some parts of the US, on place names. The influence is seen at city, county and state levels (ever heard of a place called New York?). It's very strong here in TN.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:55 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,925,298 times
Quote:
Harvey's is bad compared to McD's, Wendy's, A&W, Hardee's, Sonic etc etc etc lol.... different strokes I guess....

Prevalence of Junkies?? Guess it depends on the places you're comparing.. Any larger Canamerican city probably has junkies - hardly think Toronto would be off the charts in comparison to comparable sized cities on our continent though admittedly, not too many cities are as large as Toronto on our continent...

As for expensive microbrews - going to tourist trap places will do that to ya

Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Harvey's is bad compared to McD's, Wendy's, A&W, Hardee's, Sonic etc etc etc lol.... different strokes I guess....

Prevalence of Junkies?? Guess it depends on the places you're comparing.. Any larger Canamerican city probably has junkies - hardly think Toronto would be off the charts in comparison to comparable sized cities on our continent though admittedly, not too many cities are as large as Toronto on our continent...

As for expensive microbrews - going to tourist trap places will do that to ya
Wendy's is gourmet compared to Harvey's. No reputable place uses such obvious soy-like fillers. Junkies are everywhere, but like many Euro cities more on display in Toronto; only US city like that I've seen is Duluth, a bit surprisingly.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

There is just as strong of a British influence, if not stronger in some parts of the US, on place names. The influence is seen at city, county and state levels (ever heard of a place called New York?). It's very strong here in TN.
Way more in Ontario than anywhere I've lived.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,538,871 times
Quote:
Wendy's is gourmet compared to Harvey's. No reputable place uses such obvious soy-like fillers. Junkies are everywhere, but like many Euro cities more on display in Toronto; only US city like that I've seen is Duluth, a bit surprisingly.
What are junkies?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,925,298 times
Quote:
Re Harvey's as I said - different strokes but wasn't pink slime used in many large burger chains for the longest time.... I wouldn't necessarily say Wendy's is at all 'gourmet' compared to Harvey's nor would any large U.S chain for that matter... Now if you mention the Burger's Priest (A good small Toronto Chain burger place) that is a different story and any visitor to Toronto who wants a BURGER should make it to the Burger's Priest. Anyway the only decent American burger chain in Canada in my opinion is 5 guys everything else like McD's, Wendy's, A & W is just blech and hardly anything to boast about over Harvey's imo...

As for junkies - umm yeah kinda hard to argue which cities have 'more' or relatively more I suppose... With that said Toronto is a busy city and higher density than most U.S cities so stands to reason the more humanity in a concentrated place the more of everything you will see... There are few that would compare in terms of city population/core density but I would really be hard pressed without the benefit of stats to say Toronto would have more junkies per capita than comparable U.S cities.. S.F for example surprised me and it certainly felt more sketch than T.O quite easily. I also think i'd be hard pressed to dismiss large swath's of poorer parts of larger U.S cities as being 'relatively junkie free' compared to 'junkie' infested T.O.. I lived in DT Toronto for years and while I admit lots of weirdo's for sure I wouldn't say its more sketch/junkie infested than many other cities in Canamerica or Europe..

Anyway yes - T.O does have a lot of characters that is for sure... Any trip to Yonge/Dundas square will be a quick demonstration of that lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 06-05-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 PM

3,878 posts, read 5,306,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What are junkies?
Typically people that frequent Harvey's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada