Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,107,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you ever tucked into a Jiggs Dinner with figgy duff? Or munched on pets de soeurs? Do you like Red River Cereal for breakfast? Or toutins with maple syrup? Has St. Catherine's Taffy stuck to your teeth? Or Dennis's Horseradish served as a condiment for your roast beef?
I am a 42 year old Canadian and Red River cereal and maple syrup are the only two items you posted that I have ever heard of. I don't really care for the former and rarely eat the latter.

EDIT: I did hear of Jiggs Dinner when I was visiting down east. However, I couldn't tell you what was in it and never had any inclination to try it. I did have Fish and Brewis, though.

Quote:
How about stuff Canadians drink, like Sussex Golden Ginger Ale?

Sussex Golden Ginger Ale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Never heard of it. We drink Canada Dry or Vernors in Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Canadians serve vinegar with French Fries. That's the only difference I can think of that is pretty much Canada-wide.

Of course, every-day Canadian beer is superior to American, and so is Red Rose tea.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 AM

565 posts, read 674,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Canadians serve vinegar with French Fries. That's the only difference I can think of that is pretty much Canada-wide.
Even there, there are regional differences. In Quebec white vinegar would be what would be served with French fries (or mayo), while in Ontario they use malt vinegar. Elsewhere, I'm not sure but I assume it's malt vinegar.

Ketchup would be the default choice everywhere though.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
My sense is that vinegar with french fries might be slowing dying out though.

In Quebec at least, it seems like mayonnaise is on the upswing, though it's still behind ketchup.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,599,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Even there, there are regional differences. In Quebec white vinegar would be what would be served with French fries (or mayo), while in Ontario they use malt vinegar. Elsewhere, I'm not sure but I assume it's malt vinegar.

Ketchup would be the default choice everywhere though.
It's white vinegar in B.C. and mayo has been popular for at least 25 years or so. Belgian style fries with a variety of mayo's is seen in a few places with some specialty shops like Fritz's which when it first opened did not serve poutine…but they got on that bandwagon pretty quick.

Fritz European Fry House - Vancouver BC -Davie & Granville

Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,834,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Of course, every-day Canadian beer is superior to American...
And "every-day" American whiskey is superior to the Canadian.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,660,013 times
Quote:
How about stuff Canadians drink, like Sussex Golden Ginger Ale?

Sussex Golden Ginger Ale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Love it! When we would visit my grandparents(1960s) they always had it in the big glass bottles. We kids thought it was sooo peppery.Had some recently and it was not peppery-did they change the recipe?
Remember Scotties potato chips in the silver and blue bag? Also Smartees in a tube? I know you do-haha

Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,426,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
... Smartees in a tube? I know you do-haha
In Canada, Smarties come in a box, and are like M&Ms.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,426,926 times
Quote:
And "every-day" American whiskey is superior to the Canadian.
Depends on what you like. For example, I believe that Jack Daniel's doesn't hold a candle to Crown Royal.

But it is all subjective. You like what you like.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,834,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Depends on what you like. For example, I believe that Jack Daniel's doesn't hold a candle to Crown Royal.

But it is all subjective. You like what you like.
I think Crown Royal, like Jack Daniel's, is overrated. There are good whiskys for less money.

I watched an old episode of Modern Marvels last night about whiskys - American, Irish, Scottish, and Canadian. The narrator claimed the American and Canadian products reflected their respective national characters - American whisky bold, Canadian whisky subdued and refined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada