Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:45 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,663,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
In Canada, Smarties come in a box, and are like M&Ms.

I know. Back in the 60s Smartees came in a tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:37 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,853,079 times
Is whisky popular in Quebec or do they prefer wine?

Old 01-26-2014, 03:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,635,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I know. Back in the 60s Smartees came in a tube.
I grew up in the 1960's and in B.C. Smarties, not Smartees, always came in a box. The first time I saw them in a tube, was in the U.K.
Since I don't eat them anymore, I wonder, do they sell them in a tube in Canada now?

Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 PM

26,886 posts, read 38,178,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is whisky popular in Quebec or do they prefer wine?
Wine is much more popular. Hard liquor has a market here of course but if you go to a liquor store in Quebec probably the shelf space is 85% wine. In Ontario there is much more space devoted to hard liquor.

Quebec has something like 25% of the population of Canada but consumes about half the wine sold in the country.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:48 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,150,489 times
Some numbers --

Total
Per capita

If too busy to click on 2nd link:

Per capita (disregarding territories)
Beer:
1. Newfoundland
(huge gap)
2-7. NS, QC, NB, PEI, SK, AB (all closely bunched together)
x. Canadian average
8-10. MB, BC, ON

Wine:
1. Quebec
(gap)
2. BC
(big gap)
x. Canadian average
3-9. ON, AB, NS, NL, PEI, MB, NB
(gap)
10. SK

Spirits:
1. Newfoundland again
(gap)
2-7. SK, NS, MB, PEI, AB, BC
(gap)
x. Canadian average
8-9. ON, NB
(big gap)
10. QC

Total per capita consumption: guess who's first!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,635,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wine is much more popular. Hard liquor has a market here of course but if you go to a liquor store in Quebec probably the shelf space is 85% wine. In Ontario there is much more space devoted to hard liquor.

Quebec has something like 25% of the population of Canada but consumes about half the wine sold in the country.
Here's a fun link.

CBC Edmonton | Interactive: Regional alcohol sales per capita

I would say even though B.C. is lower in per capita consumption, the amount of space dedicated to wine in our gov't liquor stores is probably 80 percent.( EDIT: On second thought, it may depend on individual stores, my local one yes mostly wine, small beer section and smaller hard liquor. Others may have a bigger beer section, but never as big as the wine section ) One article I read pointed out that even though Quebec was higher in per capita wine consumption they were quite low in Canadian wine consumption.
I don't know what percentage B.C. would be, but people here do drink a lot of local wine, with some shops selling only B.C. wines.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:56 PM

36 posts, read 41,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Canadians serve vinegar with French Fries. That's the only difference I can think of that is pretty much Canada-wide.

Of course, every-day Canadian beer is superior to American, and so is Red Rose tea.
They serve vinegar with fires here too...you live in Texas travel to the north east or midwest.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM

681 posts, read 1,564,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And I personally consume the other half....

Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 AM

3,635 posts, read 3,440,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Canadians serve vinegar with French Fries. That's the only difference I can think of that is pretty much Canada-wide.
I wish that were true. I'm originally from Ontario, where a sprinkler of vinegar was always on the table of a restaurant, alongside the salt, pepper, and ketchup. Here in Alberta, it is not. Most times, when I ask for vinegar for my fries, it is unavailable; though in fairness, restaurant staff will do their best: once, when I asked for vinegar, the waiter brought a dish of the stuff!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,559,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you ever tucked into a Jiggs Dinner with figgy duff? Or munched on pets de soeurs? Do you like Red River Cereal for breakfast? Or toutins with maple syrup? Has St. Catherine's Taffy stuck to your teeth? Or Dennis's Horseradish served as a condiment for your roast beef?
Jiggs dinner, cod tongues, flipper pie. Yum. I miss it on a regular basis!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada