Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^ She stinks.

lol
Well, I like her. So, there. Still enjoy her Jagged Little Pill CD, though I must admit my kids don't. All 3 of them say she sounds just a little bit "cray-cray." But aren't all great artists a little nuts?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-31-2015 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Hah, this thread is great. While I think the OP was clearly in the wrong, I don't see any major issues. Just minor, silly stuff. But all the responses from Canadians just demonstrate how big a chip they have on their shoulders when it comes to Americans. Now, I'm usually the last person who would ever say anything bad about Canadians, and don't get get me wrong: I love Canadians. However, this disposition is evident, and many Americans certainly pick up on it.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:45 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Hah, this thread is great. While I think the OP was clearly in the wrong, I don't see any major issues. Just minor, silly stuff. But all the responses from Canadians just demonstrate how big a chip they have on their shoulders when it comes to Americans. Now, I'm usually the last person who would ever say anything bad about Canadians, and don't get get me wrong: I love Canadians. However, this disposition is evident, and many Americans certainly pick up on it.
Well I guess we could get into a lot of 'dispositions' by nation lol.... What would be your nation's disposition based on the posts you read in here by Americans re Canadians.. Pretend your not an American but an alien and be objective about it....

Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
What is with all this hating on Alanis?
Aw, I don't hate her. I Just wish her music wasn't so dreadfully negative and, well, hateful...

Old 05-31-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I guess we could get into a lot of 'dispositions' by nation lol.... What would be your nation's disposition based on the posts you read in here by Americans re Canadians.. Pretend your not an American but an alien and be objective about it....
Oh, we're defensive. Sometimes a little arrogant, but mostly defensive. I don't feel the need to be defensive, personally. There's actually nothing wrong with having a little bit of arrogance. It is not a categorically negative trait, although like anything, too much of it can certainly be undesirable. But a little might and a little grit can help you in life, and it helps to not to be too timid or submissive. If you're an American in Canada, you should make no apologies for it. I would advise Canadians who come here exactly the same thing with respect to their Canadian identity.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Oh, we're defensive. Sometimes a little arrogant, but mostly defensive. I don't feel the need to be defensive, personally. There's actually nothing wrong with having a little bit of arrogance. It is not a categorically negative trait, although like anything, too much of it can certainly be undesirable. But a little might and a little grit can help you in life, and it helps to not to be too timid or submissive. If you're an American in Canada, you should make no apologies for it. I would advise Canadians who come here exactly the same thing with respect to their Canadian identity.
Take into account we're in a forum here and we've been lambasted by one seemingly troll account after another.. Not referencing the OP but just in a general sense.. As for Canadians being mean - I don't think so at all but I think the message to our American friends/family really is hey we love you we share a lot in common with you but yes - we're still a different country so like any country when you visit it you respect the customs/laws of it.. When in Rome right... Seriously man - I wouldn't be caught dead in an American Diner with Canadian money other than to put it in my hidden pocket - I always know that if i'm in the U.S to carry American currency and either get it here before I visit or go to an ATM in the U.S..

Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Well, I like her. So, there. Still enjoy her Jagged Little Pill CD, though I must admit my kids don't. All 3 of them say she sounds just a little bit "cray-cray." But aren't all great artists a little nuts?
I love irreverent songs like Ironic, You Oughta Know and Hand in my Pocket.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^ She stinks.

lol

You've been close enough to Alanis to actually smell her?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Alanis is sooooooo 90's.....

I remember listening to some of her dance tracks in high school before she made it 'big'

- I know ya gonna dig this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbKBheuypw

Old 05-31-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
As for Canadians being mean - I don't think so at all but I think the message to our American friends/family really is hey we love you we share a lot in common with you but yes - we're still a different country so like any country when you visit it you respect the customs/laws of it.. When in Rome right...
Yes, of course.

Quote:
Seriously man - I wouldn't be caught dead in an American Diner with Canadian money other than to put it in my hidden pocket - I always know that if i'm in the U.S to carry American currency and either get it here before I visit or go to an ATM in the U.S..
I'd have to disagree with you here. That falls under my whole making no apologies principle. Granted, you generally wouldn't want to be stuck with only Canadian dollars in an American diner, but that's because odds are they won't accept it. But if a Canadian merchant wants to accept US dollars, then it's a different story.

I've only ever used Canadian dollars in Canada on the few trips I've taken there on my own. Once when I was a teenager, my parents and I drove to Montreal for a day during our vacation to Vermont. I tried to convince them to stop and exchange for some Canadian money, but they refused. Used credit cards in Montreal mostly, and American dollars when paying to park (and maybe for a few other things, too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada