Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 01:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think Toronto's weather is getting to poor Bottie.
It has been consistently under 10 degrees in the previous 10 days (-8C Tuesday night), and will be under 10 for the next 10 days (-5 tomorrow night). And it is either snow or cold rain.

In April. Tell me how I am supposed to feel No, I can't put on a straight face and say, whatever, that's just weather.

To tell you the truth, every winter for the past 5 years, I tell myself and others this is my last year in Toronto Now even my friends mock me by saying "you will still be here next year". I am actually starting to like Canada/Toronto more and more, but I will never get used to the long winter, especially March and April like this. I envy those Canadians who lived here all their lives believing this is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 02:01 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am actually starting to like Canada/Toronto more and more, but I will never get used to the long winter, especially March and April like this. I envy those Canadians who lived here all their lives believing this is normal.
That's quite an admission

We had an early spring start here and then it switched to below normal temperatures. I'm not very happy about that. I don't like winters here but I have spent winters in Germany and this is much preferable to me. At least there is sunshine in the winter. And the summers are real summers.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
It has been consistently under 10 degrees in the previous 10 days (-8C Tuesday night), and will be under 10 for the next 10 days (-5 tomorrow night). And it is either snow or cold rain.

In April. Tell me how I am supposed to feel No, I can't put on a straight face and say, whatever, that's just weather.

To tell you the truth, every winter for the past 5 years, I tell myself and others this is my last year in Toronto Now even my friends mock me by saying "you will still be here next year". I am actually starting to like Canada/Toronto more and more, but I will never get used to the long winter, especially March and April like this. I envy those Canadians who lived here all their lives believing this is normal.
You'll be fine. Go to an indoor swimming pool for a swim. I find that helps. Take a sauna as well.

Well I'm off, it's 20c by the beach today and sunny. Bwahahaha

Old 04-07-2016, 02:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

We had an early spring start here and then it switched to below normal temperatures. I'm not very happy about that. I don't like winters here but I have spent winters in Germany and this is much preferable to me. At least there is sunshine in the winter. And the summers are real summers.
well, I was always being frank on this forum. By living here for years I start to understand why Canada is a better society and has a better system overall than the countries I have lived in. It may not be the best place for everyone, but I prefer a society that is more fair.

I still don't get the obsession over real summers. First summers in Canada are pretty mild and not "hot" in any sense, and second, I would trade the real summer for milder winter any time. I am totally fine with July-Aug being consistently under 25 at the highest as long as it doesn't drop to under -10C ever and by mid March there is no more below freezing temperature or snow.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
He does seem a little grumpier than usual, doesn't he?

Damp, cloudy weather bothers me.
Damp, cloudy weather only bothers me if it's during our warmer months when I could be at the beach.

Vancouverites are are a funny bunch. If we get a long hot dry summer with no rain for a few weeks, we get a bit antsy.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Our Bottie is growing !

Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've haven't done any research on Rhododendrons in Ontario, and I'm only going by what one person from Toronto expressed, the weather and rain create things like this.
That's beautiful!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Fun facts:
- Fairbanks, Alaska is warmer in July than San Fransisco. A lot wetter too.
- Victoria has the driest summers in Canada (outside of a couple of Arctic islands that get like 6 tourists per year).
- There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. ~ A Swedish saying
I thought the Okanagan region had the driest summers? Osyoos is known as the desert of Canada.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I know the rest of Canada has heating and infrastructure in winter. That wasn't the point.
Anyone can get skin cancer... it depends on a number of factors.
Canada has bushfires too. The BC interior gets them every year where people lose their homes and can even die. It's just not as widespread as Australia but they most certainly occur.
You're missing the point and that is Canada is not dangerous to live in modern times regardless of winter extremes.. We have developed along far enough in our technological progress whereby cities like Toronto and Montreal can flourish and be International global cities despite being colder than Vancouver in the winter.

Of course people can and do die in Canada from weather/natural phenomena - just not to the extent as many many other countries even accounting for population differences.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-07-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
well, I was always being frank on this forum. By living here for years I start to understand why Canada is a better society and has a better system overall than the countries I have lived in. It may not be the best place for everyone, but I prefer a society that is more fair.

I still don't get the obsession over real summers. First summers in Canada are pretty mild and not "hot" in any sense, and second, I would trade the real summer for milder winter any time. I am totally fine with July-Aug being consistently under 25 at the highest as long as it doesn't drop to under -10C ever and by mid March there is no more below freezing temperature or snow.
Some cities in Canada have hot summers, and i like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada