Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 02:00 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
The right wing populist is prone to aggression and violence, however.
So is the left-wing. Neither the right- nor left-wings are blameless.

I recall many left-wing protests in Toronto back in the early 1980s. The issue was Soviet Union SS-20 missiles deployed across eastern Europe, and US/NATO bases in West Germany. "If only the US/NATO withdrew from western Europe, we'd have peace." No mention made of how if the USSR withdrew forces and missiles from eastern Europe, we'd have peace too. "Useful western idiots," was the phrase that I believe the Soviets used, in reference to North American peace activists. Note that I can read and speak Russian, and did read Pravda at the university library in those days, and I do remember reading about "useful western idiots" in that publication.

According to Pravda, those "useful western idiots," were on the left-wing of the spectrum. The more they protested anything western, and especially violently, the better the USSR liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 AM

225 posts, read 203,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
So is the left-wing. Neither the right- nor left-wings are blameless.

I recall many left-wing protests in Toronto back in the early 1980s. The issue was Soviet Union SS-20 missiles deployed across eastern Europe, and US/NATO bases in West Germany. "If only the US/NATO withdrew from western Europe, we'd have peace." No mention made of how if the USSR withdrew forces and missiles from eastern Europe, we'd have peace too. "Useful western idiots," was the phrase that I believe the Soviets used, in reference to North American peace activists. Note that I can read and speak Russian, and did read Pravda at the university library in those days, and I do remember reading about "useful western idiots" in that publication.

According to Pravda, those "useful western idiots," were on the left-wing of the spectrum. The more they protested anything western, and especially violently, the better the USSR liked it.
I bet that was propaganda... cos the say the same about the left and Islam today. The "red green axis" as coined by one of the most prolific purveyors of Muslim conspiracy theories Frank Gaffney.

HOWEVER, ISIL loves Western right wingers. Because they hate Muslims and spread the same narrative about a clash of civilizations between the West and Islam. They view Western right wingers as useful idiots. Some of them even supported the Bundys in Oregon. ISIL propaganda is available in English if you cannot read Arabic. Their magazine in English is called Dabiq. They say a lot about the usefulness of the Western right. Just saying.

ISIL's core beliefs are very similar to that of the North American right, however... the similarities are glaring. The name of the magazine itself: Dabiq, even reveals this. It's where, according to Islamic prophesy, the "Army of Rome" converges in a war against Islam at the End Times. They are trying to bring that on by goading the West to atrack Syria. This is strikingly similar to the beliefs of politically active Evangelical Christians who believe the End Times happen when war breaks out in the Holy Land and this very much guided the foreign policy of George W. Bush (Evangelical) and Stephen Harper (Alliance Church of Canada). Only difference for them is it happens in Megiddo in Israel rather than Dabiq in Syria.

The aggression of the right and left in the West cannot be compared when the right is willing to use military firepower and overall have more money and more loyal supporters.

Islamophobia has divided the left, however, leftists who hate Muslims call leftists who don't "regressive leftists". And they are mentioned as part of the "Islamophobe coalition" along with the right. I'd reckon in Canadian politics, it's Islam that divides the center-left, it's the line between Liberal and NDP voters. I am on a group called Canadians Rallying to Unseat Stephen Harper (goal accomplished but the group decided to stay together and work on new projects), it's a coalition of Liberal, NDP, Green, and Progessive Conservatives... when Islam comes up, you have a Liberal vs NDP war on your hands. Actually asking Canadians about Donald Trump's Muslim ban, Liberals were most likely to be against it, NDP and Conservatives more likely to be for it.

Last edited by Souriquois; 02-01-2016 at 05:40 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:

Islamophobia has divided the left, however, leftists who hate Muslims call leftists who don't "regressive leftists". And they are mentioned as part of the "Islamophobe coalition" along with the right. I'd reckon in Canadian politics, it's Islam that divides the center-left, it's the line between Liberal and NDP voters. I am on a group called Canadians Rallying to Unseat Stephen Harper (goal accomplished but the group decided to stay together and work on new projects), it's a coalition of Liberal, NDP, Green, and Progessive Conservatives... when Islam comes up, you have a Liberal vs NDP war on your hands. Actually asking Canadians about Donald Trump's Muslim ban, Liberals were most likely to be against it, NDP and Conservatives more likely to be for it.
This is very interesting. Though not surprising - the Liberals are the party of contemporary multiculturalism and mass immigration in Canada. It's been their bread and butter (with the resulting support from that clientele) for 40 years or more.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 AM

As for NDPers, I'd be surprised if very many were in favour of a ban specifically targeting Muslims. I'd say they are probably closer to my views: that you can't or shouldn't discriminate based on religion, but that it's not every single accommodation (or even almost) that is acceptable under the guise of religion.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:32 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As for NDPers, I'd be surprised if very many were in favour of a ban specifically targeting Muslims. I'd say they are probably closer to my views: that you can't or shouldn't discriminate based on religion, but that it's not every single accommodation (or even almost) that is acceptable under the guise of religion.
That is my view also.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 AM

I was surprised as well. The leadership in the NDP is very much against Islamophobia, but the supporters are not. I have seen in one of the Liberal vs NDP wars people using verses from the Qu'ran out of context to say they're all violent and want to take over the world. Frank Gaffney Sharia hysteria type stuff. Muslims are rapists, etc.

I chalk it up to the NDP's populist learnings. Where there is populism, there is racism.

Same goes on the right. Red Tories are very rarely Islamophobic, but many conservatives who came from the Reform side are. Reform were a populist party at its core.

Makes me wonder if the Cons in the last election used Islamophobia for that reason, to split progressive voters. Problem is, it caused a lot of Red Tories to vote Liberal. Heh.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I was surprised as well. The leadership in the NDP is very much against Islamophobia, but the supporters are not. I have seen in one of the Liberal vs NDP wars people using verses from the Qu'ran out of context to say they're all violent and want to take over the world. Frank Gaffney Sharia hysteria type stuff. Muslims are rapists, etc.

I chalk it up to the NDP's populist learnings. Where there is populism, there is racism.

Whereas the Liberal Party of Canada tends to be the party of a certain bien-pensant élite...

Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:

Same goes on the right. Red Tories are very rarely Islamophobic, but many conservatives who came from the Reform side are. Reform were a populist party at its core.

Makes me wonder if the Cons in the last election used Islamophobia for that reason, to split progressive voters. Problem is, it caused a lot of Red Tories to vote Liberal. Heh.
You really need to get out more...

Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Whereas the Liberal Party of Canada tends to be the party of a certain bien-pensant élite...
The Liberals seem most likely to stay out of my life. NDP wants to take my money and Conservatives want to take my freedom.

I am skeptical, of any politician who rails against the elites. Railing against so-called elitism is just a way for white men to revolt against other people being treated like human beings. The belief of the populist right in Canada was that the Liberals or so-called "Laurentian elites" were giving "special rights" to "fringe interest groups" like women, minorities, French Canadians, First Nations, homosexuals... basically anybody not a white male, and special rights were, treating us like human beings.

It's become a racist and misogynistic dogwhistle.

And now you have in the States, Donald Trump and other Tea Party candidates who capitalize on white male resentment, the railing against social justice being codified as railing against elites.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
The Liberals seem most likely to stay out of my life. NDP wants to take my money and Conservatives want to take my freedom.

I am skeptical, of any politician who rails against the elites. Railing against so-called elitism is just a way for white men to revolt against other people being treated like human beings. The belief of the populist right in Canada was that the Liberals or so-called "Laurentian elites" were giving "special rights" to "fringe interest groups" like women, minorities, French Canadians, First Nations, homosexuals... basically anybody not a white male, and special rights were, treating us like human beings.

It's become a racist and misogynistic dogwhistle.

And now you have in the States, Donald Trump and other Tea Party candidates who capitalize on white male resentment, the railing against social justice being codified as railing against elites.
I tend to be a bit of an élitist myself.

Though I think I also probably see politics as more "fluid" than you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada