Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's all a publicity stunt and she's going to have a "miraculous" recovery. I doubt that's the case, but I would be relieved if it were.

If she can't make a complete recovery, I hope they let her go. I'm pretty sure that's what Joan would want, and I'm pretty sure Melissa knows that Joan wouldn't want to live like that. The problem is if she is impaired but not dependent on life support, with heart and lungs working on their own. Then what? I wouldn't want to live like that, but then what do you do? Deprive the person of food and water like Terri Schiavo?

I really hope she's either totally okay, or totally not okay. It's the in between that's the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Has this made anyone besides me think twice before agreeing to any medical procedure including dental work ? It sure had me and Im 30 years younger than Joan so I don't think I will be so quick to have any procedure done anytime soon . I pray that I don't have to make any decisions concerning my health anytime soon ..this has scared the snot outta me and Joan seemed completely healthy to me before this happened and so am I knock wood .

Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Has this made anyone besides me think twice before agreeing to any medical procedure including dental work ? It sure had me and Im 30 years younger than Joan so I don't think I will be so quick to have any procedure done anytime soon . I pray that I don't have to make any decisions concerning my health anytime soon ..this has scared the snot outta me and Joan seemed completely healthy to me before this happened and so am I knock wood .
The etiology of her "routine procedure" is unclear, and honestly, I'm highly suspicious of some form of outpatient plastic surgery as the procedure that's being so vaguely thrown out to the media. Also, we honestly don't know the nooks and crannies of all of the health ailments that Joan Rivers suffers from. If she had any underlying (and undiagnosed) heart or lung problems (eg was she a chronic smoker? did she have underlying copd? emphysema?), this would have placed her at greater risk for respiratory depression and subsequent cardiac arrest. Her age also places her at very high risk for these catastrophes as well.

That being said, very few invasive plastic surgery procedures can be performed without some form of sedation.

Having dental work, on the other hand, usually does not(there clearly are exceptions). I think your concerns are valid but I honestly wouldn't worry to much..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
The etiology of her "routine procedure" is unclear, and honestly, I'm highly suspicious of some form of outpatient plastic surgery as the procedure that's being so vaguely thrown out to the media. Also, we honestly don't know the nooks and crannies of all of the health ailments that Joan Rivers suffers from. If she had any underlying (and undiagnosed) heart or lung problems (eg was she a chronic smoker? did she have underlying copd? emphysema?), this would have placed her at greater risk for respiratory depression and subsequent cardiac arrest. Her age also places her at very high risk for these catastrophes as well.

That being said, very few invasive plastic surgery procedures can be performed without some form of sedation.

Having dental work, on the other hand, usually does not(there clearly are exceptions). I think your concerns are valid but I honestly wouldn't worry to much..
They wouldn't be doing plastic surgery at a GI center. If they were looking at her vocal cords, that could cause laryngospasm. I'm wondering if she had an EGD. Her voice has been very raspy; they could have been looking to see if she has gastric reflux or something like that that could irritate her vocal cords. That would be a procedure performed at a GI center. If she got propofol that could have caused her vital signs to plummet.

Last edited by luzianne; 09-02-2014 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes. I have an outpatient surgery scheduled later this month and I plan to reschedule it. Joan Rivers isn't the only reason - well, it's not even the reason. It's actually just not a convenient time for me because I have a lot going on right now. But for my own peace of mind I would like to lose a little bit of weight and have a cardiac workup before I have the surgery. I have never been scared to have surgery before; never thought a thing about it. I had two outpatient surgeries in 2010 and thought nothing of it. If I were younger (I'm 57) I might still be cavalier about it, but this case has definitely made me reconsider.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They wouldn't be doing plastic surgery at a GI center. If they were looking at her vocal cords, that could cause laryngospasm. I'm wondering if she had an EGD. Her voice has been very raspy; they could have been looking to see if she has gastric reflux or something like that that could irritate her vocal cords. That would be a procedure performed at a GI center. If she got propofol that could have caused her vital signs to plummet.

This is my theory. WHo knows what they would/would not be doing and or using at these outpatient clinics?

And I'm uncertain of this perseverance with propofol. Was there some news report that this is what was used on her? There are at least 20 other sedatives that are used and can be used for procedural sedation. Any number of them could have caused this. And conversely, perhaps it wasn't the medication at all. Irrespective, Ive used them all but in the setting of an emergency department with an anesthesiologist on call, just in case something unfortunate occurred.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
This is my theory. WHo knows what they would/would not be doing and or using at these outpatient clinics?

And I'm uncertain of this perseverance with propofol. Was there some news report that this is what was used on her? There are at least 20 other sedatives that are used and can be used for procedural sedation. Any number of them could have caused this. And conversely, perhaps it wasn't the medication at all. Irrespective, Ive used them all but in the setting of an emergency department with an anesthesiologist on call, just in case something unfortunate occurred.
The delineation of privileges for a GI center would not include cosmetic surgery. I really don't think it was any kind of cosmetic surgery.

I don't know if propofol was used. When I had an EGD, they used propofol. But that was in a hospital. In an outpatient setting by someone not as experienced, it could be bad. As I said, I'm just speculating what might have happened. Other anesthetics are reversible if there's an emergency. Propofol not so much.

Edit - I just found this blog. I don't think this person posting that Joan Rivers was a client of hers is very ethical. But I'm not worried about her. It's the comments by doctors that I am interested in. Very insightful.

http://drlillianglassbodylanguageblo...her-endoscopy/

Last edited by luzianne; 09-02-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 10:05 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Joan Rivers visited my brother's antique shop on Cape Cod. She was very pleasant to talk with, he said.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
I do not believe that Joan Rivers would have used any facility that was not exceptional in its care. Also, she had a show scheduled for the following evening, so this must have been considered a very minor procedure. Obviously, something went very wrong.

I certainly hope that she recovers and gets back to her old self. This has certainly made me rethink any medical procedures that I might have done, even though I am quite a bit younger than Joan.

It will be interesting to hear who is to blame for this, whether the doctors, the anesthesiologists, or the nurses. Even though Joan did not appear to be in poor health, we do not know; if she was, then this surgery should not have been done at this time.

My thoughts and prayers are with her daughter and grandson. I think they rely very heavily on Joan.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,514 times
Default Joan

[quote=bentlebee;36329480]This will make a lot of people think twice about any so called normal procedure.

I'm glad she wasn't aware of what happened at least I assume that is the case.

I really admire Joan for a lot of things she did in her life, from being a single mom and raising her daughter and being such a sweet grand mother, having staff that seems to love her and supporting so many other families by her generosity.

Her jokes are very funny and she can be harsh in her jokes but first of all they are jokes and should be taken as a joke but she also has smart words to say about things going on the world.

Aside from that she is one of the few who is honest about her plastic surgery and not like many celebrities who lie and go out of the back door stating they just stay that way and never have done anything.

You expressed so well my very same feelings about Joan. She really is honest about her own life and she also wasn't afraid to speak her mind about things. She didn't dance around the question of her own plastic surgery but was open about it - telling the truth and even finding a lot of humor in it. We should all grow "young" the way she has. I've seen people half her age who don't have even a quarter of her energy and if they were to try living her schedule for one day - they wouldn't be able to do it without plopping right on the floor from exhaustion. I hope we hear good things today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities