Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
There is a Waffle House in Huntington. But too far to drive just for that when there is IHOP in two locations in Charleston.

Also, I thought there was a Texas Roadhouse in Kanawha City? Plus, there are an abundance of these types of chain Steakhouses in Charleston. But would really like to have one out here in Teays Valley

I do agree about Chipotle. This area definately needs a couple of these stores.
There is a Texas STEAKHOUSE not Texas Roadhouse This is located just past the bridge where the Turnpike begins at the south end of Kanawha City. Lonestar also has a Texas theme and the food there was delicious. They even gave me a discount for staying at the nearby Motel 6 last time and I was able to walk from there.

Waffle House is much better than IHOP or Denny's. I've noticed where I live now wherever there is a Waffle House, Denny's and IHOP both are not very busy. And when there is a Denny's and an IHOP in close proximity, Denny's always takes most of the business, even on the weekends when IHOP is also 24 hours. My mom likes IHOP better but for myself and most of my friends its Waffle House, then Denny's, and then IHOP for breakfast food in terms of the big chains. Of course we have local diners that make great breakfast food too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
What gives with Shoneys? They seem to be in decline everywhere, and the ones I have been in haven't
had a makeover in 40 years and definitely are worse for the wear the tear. Is the company in financial trouble or something?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
CT, it does seem that Shoneys is on a major decline. They refused to upgrade their facilities, menu, food quality, or service for several decades and that really hurt them. Just didn't have the foresight, or interest to keep up with the times.

They will be missed.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
There is a lot of food snobbery everywhere, not just on these boards. Guess it is a new European trend that came to this country.

Chains might be consistent in the type of food, but the quality can be consistent. When I was young there was a McDonalds always known for having bad quality food. There is always a subway with fresher food, compared to one with bad food. The person making the food can still mess up, and so on. But yes the food is the same. I find that rather boring to be honest. I want constant variety of flavor.

I also find website ratings to be overrated. They discourage people from trying new things.
Former chef here. The food snobbery can appear overbearing if it is indeed pure snobbery, but much of the time its merely someone having a different frame of reference from which to judge a meal.

I think Olive Garden is pretty low quality (given how your food is shipped frozen and reheated to serve) not because I feel superior in saying so, but because there are better chains (let alone better locally owned places) for Italian food out there. You can buy jars of sauce that don't say Prego or Ragu on them and make pasta at home that tastes better. That isn't to say that you won't find me in one occasionally when my wife gets nostalgic. Not too long ago some old lady wrote a glowing review for her first trip to one of those restaurans. Am I going to try to rain on her parade? Of course not. If she asked me to recommend a good seafood place am I going to suggest Red Lobster? Not a chance. Is that snobbery? Better to take a chance on having something that shifts your paradigm completely. Nothing wrong with going to a chain (some are really good), but in many cases you're sadly overpaying for someone to reheat food for you that was likely made somewhere else and frozen some time ago. You wouldn't pay $12-15 for a frozen serving of lasagna at the grocery store would you? How much is it worth to have someone else boil water? If you're going pay someone to cook for you your best bet will always be some locally owned place, or better a restaurant with an open kitchen where you can observe them cooking it. Darden chain restaurants like Olive Garden, Longhorn, or Red Lobster with closed kitchens? Food isn't so great. Darden chain restaurants with open kitchens like Bahama Breeze or the Capital Grille, the food is significantly better.

Never eat at chains when you travel. Such a terrible idea as you'll always get mediocre at best. Checking out the local joints may be hit or miss, but only if you don't do your homework. There are too many places like urban spoon or yelp on the internet to find good recommendations, or even ask the locals. If I'm looking for a place to eat in Charleston are you going to send me to the Texas Roadhouse or Bluegrass Kitchen? If I want a good sausage biscuit are you going to send me to McDonald's or Suzies (or Tudors)? As I said before its always better to try the new things and expand your experiences. Even if it means straying into territory that can be down right scary. You'll never know if its something worth eating if you don't try it.

Others mentioned Five Guys in this thread, and I find it hard to believe that there aren't better options for burgers in Charleston. Wendy's for instance. Burgers at 5 guys are too greasy, and they don't really taste like much beyond what you'll find at any other fast food place. The fries are flat out awful. Soggy and unsalted. They give you a lot of them, but more crap is still crap. If I lived in Charleston I'd drive the hour and fifteen minutes north to Parkersburg to get a NET Burger at the north end tavern before I dropped 10 bucks on five guys.

Last edited by Q-tip motha; 05-03-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Just an exception to the rule IMO. If you have kids chains can be great especially if you are traveling.

I live in Parkersburg and yes the NET makes a great burger (the salami and cheese is even better, get it with onions and hot mustard) but for some reason my 11 year old daughter loves 5 Guys burgers.

She doesn't eat burgers either. It's chicken, chicken, chicken. When we drive down for a Power ball game and we need to get something to eat we will stop at 5 guys because we know what we are getting and that it's going to be quick and easy.

Indeed, if it was just the wife and I, we would eat somewhere else.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
.......... Others mentioned Five Guys in this thread, and I find it hard to believe that there aren't better options for burgers in Charleston. Wendy's for instance. Burgers at 5 guys are too greasy, and they don't really taste like much beyond what you'll find at any other fast food place. The fries are flat out awful. Soggy and unsalted. They give you a lot of them, but more crap is still crap. If I lived in Charleston I'd drive the hour and fifteen minutes north to Parkersburg to get a NET Burger at the north end tavern before I dropped 10 bucks on five guys.
Suzi's makes burgers, but only at lunch time. Tudor's also makes good lunch food. Both are pretty quick and have a drive-thru.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just an exception to the rule IMO. If you have kids chains can be great especially if you are traveling.

I live in Parkersburg and yes the NET makes a great burger (the salami and cheese is even better, get it with onions and hot mustard) but for some reason my 11 year old daughter loves 5 Guys burgers.

She doesn't eat burgers either. It's chicken, chicken, chicken. When we drive down for a Power ball game and we need to get something to eat we will stop at 5 guys because we know what we are getting and that it's going to be quick and easy.

Indeed, if it was just the wife and I, we would eat somewhere else.

Crazy.

The NET burger stacks up well against a lot of the burgers you'll find around the country. It isn't the best. With the price, setting, and beer accompanying it I don't turn down the opportunity to have one when I'm in town.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Crazy.

The NET burger stacks up well against a lot of the burgers you'll find around the country. It isn't the best. With the price, setting, and beer accompanying it I don't turn down the opportunity to have one when I'm in town.
As I said, try the Salami and Cheese next time. The hot mustard will clear your sinuses.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM

708 posts, read 1,156,850 times
Hate to sound like a idiot but what is a NET burger?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Hate to sound like a idiot but what is a NET burger?
NET is simply short for the name of the place. North End Tavern. It's been an eatery since 1899.

North End Tavern & Brewery*|* About

When I was younger it was more of a sports bar but it's evolved into what it is now. They brew some very good beer which has expanded the clientele.

The NET burger is probably the best burger in the Ohio Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston