Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Ground was broken for a new Ronald McDonald House next to CAMC Women's and Children's Hospital this week. The new 3 story facility will replace the existing one located in KC near CAMC Memorial. The project is expected to be complete within a year.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Construction to start on new Ronald McDonald House

In other news, there is a site being prepared for construction along Pennsylvania Ave between Hardee's and Go Mart at the former Humphrey's restaurant site. I have no information to what is going in there, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a fast food place or other type of retail (being as to its proximity to the interstate). Anyone have any word on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:13 AM

82 posts, read 120,149 times
Not "new construction" per se, but the Clay Center is planning to freshen up the science museum areas in two phases. The first phase (targeted completion by late 2016) will include a "climb through" art sculpture in the lobby for children, and replacement of the (rather disappointing) downstairs STEAMWorks with a version of "Kidtropolis" similar to one found in the Houston Children's Museum. Phase two (no stated targeted completion, but seems like late 2017 or early 2018) will spruce up the nature and health exhibits upstairs and add a music exhibit.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Clay Center announces ambitious museum renewal plans

Also included is an upgrade to the dome theater. I assume that means installing digital projectors, as the physical film-based library is slowly drying up (the planetarium functions are already brand-new, revamped last year).

The Clay Center is a marvelous place. I'm glad they're taking steps to keep it up to date.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:17 AM

Thomas Hospital is opening the state's first "acute-care" facility. The $17 million project will take place next to the hospital and will create 100 new jobs! Great news for sure!

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Thomas Health System plans to build post-acute care facility

Construction and renovation at the civic center is taking shape nicely. They are currently working across from mall on the new entrance and glass lobby. They have taken out the majority of the concrete skyways that are used for exiting the coliseum.

Just a reminder of what we have to look forward to
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Design team picked for Civic Center renovations

Old 03-14-2016, 06:03 PM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Clay Center looks forward to climbable sculpture, other updates

Old 04-01-2016, 08:05 AM

So here is some updates from what I have seen going on around the city construction-wise.

Civic Center: Construction is well underway on the nearly 80-million dollar renovation effort to the Civic Center. They have removed the elevated walkways that once allowed Coliseum patrons to exit the facility, and are currently building a new entrance opposite the CTC on Clendenin St. This new entrance will feature all glass work. They have also started preparing for the expansion and new ball room on the Elk River side of the facility. Along with this, an old building across Lee St. (beside Greyhound Station) has been demolished so that crews can store equipment.

CAMC Memorial: It would appear that crews are wrapping up work on the exterior, with the exception of a temporary elevator system in order to access the ongoing interior work. At first I wasn't a fan of the design for the building, but it has grown on me a little.

CAMC General: I have yet to see anything on this (if anyone has please share it), but it appears that CAMC is going to build something (possible expansion) of their medical office building across the street from General Hospital. Crews have been working for a couple of weeks now removing a parking lot and doing drilling.

Pioneer Federal Credit Union: Work has started on their new headquarters located beside their existing facility on Kanawha Blvd. I cannot find a rendering online, but I have seen it on their sign. It will be a sharp looking building and will go very well on the Blvd. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.

Ronald McDonald House: Thier new building is being built beside the Lottery building (near CAMC Women's and Children's). It is a 3-story structure and construction is well underway.

Bojangles: 2 confirmed locations, and a third suspected location in Cross Lanes are ready to go up.

Thomas Memorial: Work has not yet started for an expansion to the Hospital.

Brawley Walkway: a new walkway and park is replacing the ghetto and scary version we have now that links Capitol Street and the mall.

B&B Loans Building: Still being renovated into a mixed-use building with offices and retail. This is personally my favorite project right now.

University of Charleston Innovation Center: UC started months ago constructing their new basketball arena. They are still placing beams now, but when the facade is complete, this building will be impressive. It is 4 floors, featuring classroom space as well.

Eagle View: work continues constructing new townhomes/apartments/condos etc... at Eagle View which is an upscale residential community overlooking the city near Malden. When complete, the development will feature over 800 units. I have visited the development and it is top notch with outstanding views of the Capitol Complex.

Anchor's Cove: A new town home development just north of downtown off Knollwood Dr. Features a few dozen town houses. It appears to be almost finished. You can see them clearly driving along I-79.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
So here is some updates from what I have seen going on around the city construction-wise.

Civic Center: Construction is well underway on the nearly 80-million dollar renovation effort to the Civic Center. They have removed the elevated walkways that once allowed Coliseum patrons to exit the facility, and are currently building a new entrance opposite the CTC on Clendenin St. This new entrance will feature all glass work. They have also started preparing for the expansion and new ball room on the Elk River side of the facility. Along with this, an old building across Lee St. (beside Greyhound Station) has been demolished so that crews can store equipment.

CAMC Memorial: It would appear that crews are wrapping up work on the exterior, with the exception of a temporary elevator system in order to access the ongoing interior work. At first I wasn't a fan of the design for the building, but it has grown on me a little.

CAMC General: I have yet to see anything on this (if anyone has please share it), but it appears that CAMC is going to build something (possible expansion) of their medical office building across the street from General Hospital. Crews have been working for a couple of weeks now removing a parking lot and doing drilling.

Pioneer Federal Credit Union: Work has started on their new headquarters located beside their existing facility on Kanawha Blvd. I cannot find a rendering online, but I have seen it on their sign. It will be a sharp looking building and will go very well on the Blvd. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.

Ronald McDonald House: Thier new building is being built beside the Lottery building (near CAMC Women's and Children's). It is a 3-story structure and construction is well underway.

Bojangles: 2 confirmed locations, and a third suspected location in Cross Lanes are ready to go up.

Thomas Memorial: Work has not yet started for an expansion to the Hospital.

Brawley Walkway: a new walkway and park is replacing the ghetto and scary version we have now that links Capitol Street and the mall.

B&B Loans Building: Still being renovated into a mixed-use building with offices and retail. This is personally my favorite project right now.

University of Charleston Innovation Center: UC started months ago constructing their new basketball arena. They are still placing beams now, but when the facade is complete, this building will be impressive. It is 4 floors, featuring classroom space as well.

Eagle View: work continues constructing new townhomes/apartments/condos etc... at Eagle View which is an upscale residential community overlooking the city near Malden. When complete, the development will feature over 800 units. I have visited the development and it is top notch with outstanding views of the Capitol Complex.

Anchor's Cove: A new town home development just north of downtown off Knollwood Dr. Features a few dozen town houses. It appears to be almost finished. You can see them clearly driving along I-79.
CAMC-General has a campus complex of buildings planned for the East End, but I think their long term plan is to close the General Division. CAMC absolutely loathes that facility and just wants it to go away but the approval and controlling authorities in the State House force them to keep it open. CAMC wants to absorb more of the neighborhood in Kanawha City and consolidate there. Part of the hold back has been that General is the regional trauma center.

If you have ever gone to Thomas or some other hospital in the region and were told we can't do that test here, you have to go to General, it is because as General is a trauma center it must take everyone that shows up on the curb and it then gets reimbursed by the government for the expense. Hospitals are not supposed to curb-dump patients any more by law, but it happens every day at Thomas and other places.

Thomas purchased St Francis a while back and there was a news article recently pointing out that St Francis was going to move into trauma care. If they do, that will give CAMC-General the green light to get out of the East End.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:22 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
That's ridiculous! CAMC needs all the beds they have at General. There are several services done at General that are not done at Memorial, and some done at Memorial that are not done at General. (That is the way the hospital improves efficiency.) I haven't heard anything from people in corporate plans at CAMCare that would indicate there is any long term plan to close General. It's true that they don't do cardiac surgery there; they do that at Memorial. However, they don't do orthopedics at Memorial because that specialty is done at General. There are several other specialties that are housed in only one of the hospitals as well. The rehab and physical therapy units are at General. Neither of those hospitals deliver babies. They do that at Women's and Children's. They're not closing it down either.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's ridiculous! CAMC needs all the beds they have at General. There are several services done at General that are not done at Memorial, and some done at Memorial that are not done at General. (That is the way the hospital improves efficiency.) I haven't heard anything from people in corporate plans at CAMCare that would indicate there is any long term plan to close General. It's true that they don't do cardiac surgery there; they do that at Memorial. However, they don't do orthopedics at Memorial because that specialty is done at General. There are several other specialties that are housed in only one of the hospitals as well. The rehab and physical therapy units are at General. Neither of those hospitals deliver babies. They do that at Women's and Children's. They're not closing it down either.

Ridiculous it may be, it is exactly how the board feels about the General location and it is no secret to anyone that works in that facility. Cancer used to be at General...well...they have a cancer center now in KC. Women and Children's care used to be at General...well...they have their own facility in Elk City. General is slowly and deliberately decentralizing and it all stems from having given up on the hodge-podge of buildings that comprise the General location.

You sound confident in your assessment but I would suggest you go press some flesh around General and see if you are not re-thinking your assurances. Talk to their maintenance staff. They will tell you that they are on a maintenance only schedule with no new construction having taken place since the atrium was completed 1983. The only construction that has occurred since that date have been to properties adjacent to the hospital as neighboring homes and small business are bought, razed and the property redeveloped.

Every few years another department of the General hospital moves out of the building and into another location. Just last fall, the Medical Coding department moved from General to an office building in Kanawha City after nearly 20 years in their old location.

Slowly but surely, the board at CAMC is drawing down General. It takes no Nostradamus to see the future here especially when those working at the facility will unanimously inform you that it is just a matter of time before their department is moved out. Many have already gone to the new building in North Gate. The last sticking point will be the actual nursing and health services portion of the facility; what the average person thinks of as the hospital, but that is also just a matter of time.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:02 AM

Some updates on ongoing projects around the Valley

CAMC Memorial expansion: work on the exterior is almost 100% complete. I work right by there, and have witnessed something I thought was strange over the last several months. At first, the glass on the front side of the expanded part of the hospital was going to be an alternating green shades pattern, similar to checker board. But I guess a big-wig at CAMC thought it was ugly so the replaced it all! It now has a solid "blueish" tent to it, with reflective glass where the actual windows are. I am definitely for the change they made, but just consider the huge waste of money.

CAMC General "expansion?": So I still haven't seen anything official on this, but CAMC is clearly building a 3 story building across the street from General and connected to the existing 2 story medical office building. My guess is that this will simply be more offices, but it is always great to see construction and new things. I'd imagine eventually there will be an article on it.

Civic Center Renovation: Work continues on pretty much every side of the CC, with recently the majority of the work being along Lee St. They actually have beams going up there, unlike along Clendenin St. where they have come to a halt.

Ronald McDonald House: Now that I have seen the paint scheme, I hate the building even more. They have pretty much finished the outside from the looks of it. For those that don't know, their new building is beside the Lottery HQ and is 3 floors.

Pioneer Federal Credit Union Offices: They are building a new facility beside their current HQ along the Blvd. From the renderings it looks nice. I hope that the old building remains and isn't demolished because it is really awesome.

University of Charleston Gymnasium: This project is coming along nicely, and I am really looking forward to the finished project. It is all "beamed-up" and they are placing walls now.

Thomas Memorial expansion: Still no dirt moved

Sheetz Cross Lanes: They are moving fast on this, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is completed by mid-late fall. It appears that this one will be bigger and have the drive-thru and car wash. I heard that it might have pumps for trucks as well.

Bojangles: They are doing the facade on the Southridge location. Work hasn't started in Kanawha City or Cross Lanes.

These are just of the bigger/more popular projects going on around town.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Some updates on ongoing projects around the Valley

CAMC Memorial expansion: work on the exterior is almost 100% complete. I work right by there, and have witnessed something I thought was strange over the last several months. At first, the glass on the front side of the expanded part of the hospital was going to be an alternating green shades pattern, similar to checker board. But I guess a big-wig at CAMC thought it was ugly so the replaced it all! It now has a solid "blueish" tent to it, with reflective glass where the actual windows are. I am definitely for the change they made, but just consider the huge waste of money.

CAMC General "expansion?": So I still haven't seen anything official on this, but CAMC is clearly building a 3 story building across the street from General and connected to the existing 2 story medical office building. My guess is that this will simply be more offices, but it is always great to see construction and new things. I'd imagine eventually there will be an article on it.

Civic Center Renovation: Work continues on pretty much every side of the CC, with recently the majority of the work being along Lee St. They actually have beams going up there, unlike along Clendenin St. where they have come to a halt.

Ronald McDonald House: Now that I have seen the paint scheme, I hate the building even more. They have pretty much finished the outside from the looks of it. For those that don't know, their new building is beside the Lottery HQ and is 3 floors.

Pioneer Federal Credit Union Offices: They are building a new facility beside their current HQ along the Blvd. From the renderings it looks nice. I hope that the old building remains and isn't demolished because it is really awesome.

University of Charleston Gymnasium: This project is coming along nicely, and I am really looking forward to the finished project. It is all "beamed-up" and they are placing walls now.

Thomas Memorial expansion: Still no dirt moved

Sheetz Cross Lanes: They are moving fast on this, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is completed by mid-late fall. It appears that this one will be bigger and have the drive-thru and car wash. I heard that it might have pumps for trucks as well.

Bojangles: They are doing the facade on the Southridge location. Work hasn't started in Kanawha City or Cross Lanes.

These are just of the bigger/more popular projects going on around town.
A couple of friends at CAMC-General have told me the new addition there is a Wound Care and Pain Treatment Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston