Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Excellent posts all of you!! I wish I had been brave enough to write it stmaarten!! Don't even get me started about the crazy, obviously from NJ, woman in TJMaxx screaming at someone in her cell phone. I frankly did not want to know why she hated her sister in law....but now I do.
Good job, Ladies!!!
I don't think the Northern people are the only ones who need to learn telephone manners. I was going through the grocery store at Wesley Chapel the other day and was so happy I did not have a child with me to hear the intimate details of a love affair. I came out of a store in Matthews and someone was talking about a friends operation. Wouldn't you like to know someone is discussing your body parts out in public. And they all seem so proud that they have this "status symbol." The only thing someone on their cell phone in public is telling me is that they have no manners. And that thing on the ear looks like someone from outer space. You get the feeling that maybe they need medical help because it looks like they are going around talking to themselves.

Most of us realize that it is not EVERY person from the North, West, etc. who act this way. I think a lot of them are venting their anger, because they have made a move they are not happy with and don't know how to adjust.

I guess my biggest concern is that if they make enough noise, someone will listen to them and we will turn into what they left.

Last edited by NCN; 09-09-2007 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 AM

118 posts, read 444,816 times
I'm a transplant from BROOKLYN!! I love it here in Charlotte. I always get hasseld about being a Yankee. LOVE the Sweater Weather. The only thing I would change maybe change is not the right word...improve is the public transportation. I lived here a year before I got a car. Using public transportation is no joke here. Of course the NYer in me, got to where I needed to be. The bus system is just a wee bit backwards. Almost every transefer has to be made downtown, even if you're going to the university area. I think they need to improve that. It's more environmentally friendly. I'm loving the south. We yankees apprciate the Southern Hospitality

Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
NY you bet we do...

North your right too, its not only the notherners, its just more noticed that they are from the north, because most of us or at leas me am used to living with people like that, status is everything...I dont know too much about the southern people yet other than they are very nice, I have NEVER been called a yankee and well I love the friendlyness here....we have adapted very well..

Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
In all honesty I don't think that's fair. I remember when the southners flocked up here for jobs in the 70's. Now WE want a softer life and you bust our chops. You must be too young to remember that.
I think the big difference is those southerners did not drive up your housing prices to make places that were affordable one year out-of-reach 18 months later. Also, I doubt they bellyached ad nauseum as to why you all did not have pig pickin's and sweet tea or Harris Teeters instead of Wegmans.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,901 times
I'm in Washington State and will be moving to NC as soon as my house sells. My family is moving to the Charlotte area in hopes of finding that down home feeling.

Around here, everything is a status thing- from the size of your house, the size of your car, right down to who has more CD's or DVD's and I can't take it anymore. I have found myself competing and wanting more than I can afford. I don't like that about myself. The families around here are broken and horrible. It's always "I'm not talking to my sister because she made me mad" or "I don't want anything to do with my son because he made a decision that I don't like" type of thing. Affairs are prominent and seems to be very accepted. "Oh, she slept with him and left her husband for him" -- "no big deal"!

Our families are so dysfunctional, I don't want my kids around that.

I want the feeling of unity. I want to be somewhere where I can buy something because I like it and not have to worry about the neighbor going out and getting one bigger and better and then pointing it out. I want my kids to feel like they belong to a family with values.

Yeah, the cost of living there is less and hopefully will make things easier to save for the future, but that is not the biggest reason.

I hope we are looking in the right area. I want that considerate, down home, manner-filled, peaceful life.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
well honestly you will find that here, ive gotten snubbed plenty of times...and I thought that was funny...

Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 518,359 times
Default Jerks are jerks now matter how you slice it

I'd like to say every jerk I have ever had the pleasure of encountering was from the North but unfortunately I can not. I have been in the Charlotte area my whole life and it is a people problem, not a region problem. I have had my share of Southern jerks too. Unfortunately, we live in a ME society these days.

When I grew up EVERYONE you passed had a smile and a waive for ya. We slept with our doors and windows unlocked.

My how things have changed.

Last edited by ADR; 09-10-2007 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: mispell

Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
When I first moved to Charlotte 6 years ago, part of the reason was the large amounts of northerners here and I knew Charlotte wasn't a stereotypical Southern city. I have to admit that I wanted to see SOME things change, but not change the way of life for the natives. I find it so funny that the people who complain most about things are usually the ones causing the problems. What I did was engage a southern girl and moved to Fort Mill, SC (her family has lived in Rock Hill for a long time and they are originally from Albemarle). While Fort Mill has its share of northern as well as Charlotte transplants, MOST of us are not trying to chnage the way of life there. I, along with many others, enjoy it the way is and would like to keep it that way, but since FM is part of Charlotte metro, it is unfortunately going to change a little bit. I still like dunkin donuts over krispy kreme, but wow I do love fried pickles

Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM

36 posts, read 44,733 times
In my honest opinion, outside transplants are helping charlotte to shave it's "Redneck" image. 10 years ago, ask anybody in the north, florida or on the west coast what came to their mind when Charlotte, NC was mentioned. Backward hicks with a 3rd grade education wearing dirty overalls is all I kept hearing.

I say, the more transplants the better. My old boss is an upstate NY native who moved here for a better life/employment and eventually convinced 2 other family members and their family to move to the charlotte area as well. They are nothing but good people...

Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,809,035 times
Well, I don't hear Southerners yelling at their kids, I see them sitting back and doing nothing as they run around trashing things in stores and restaurants. I think there are bad apples in every bunch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte