Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,972 times

Advertisements

These kind of threads should be taken with a grain-of-salt.

Happy people can find happiness in any city. Depressing people will tend to find the worst in a place, no matter where they live.

That having been said, I find Charlotte to be a wonderful city. I am glad to call it home for me and my family. I moved here 10 years ago from Ohio and have zero regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
My wife and i decided we wanted to move from Cleveland 5 yrs ago to 'somewhere in the South'. After deciding on NC we looked at Raleigh and CLT, we ended up choosing CLT and never looked back. We (and kids) are totally happy. I do like the weather and that it is a new, young city and very transient with people moving here from all parts of US. I think there are many nice neighborhood and schools in South Charlotte. The only thing I would have done differently is we should have rented for 6mos to year to get a feal for the ideal area of CLT to move to but I can't complain.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
These kind of threads should be taken with a grain-of-salt.

Happy people can find happiness in any city. Depressing people will tend to find the worst in a place, no matter where they live.

That having been said, I find Charlotte to be a wonderful city. I am glad to call it home for me and my family. I moved here 10 years ago from Ohio and have zero regrets.

Not really. If people are thinking of moving, don't you think it's fair of people to give them some info good and bad both? One thing about the board here is if any negativity is posted in regards to Charlotte the OP is usually attacked.

Every city has it's bad and good points. Charlotte is no Utopia, and I think giving people that impression could be misleading. It's a great city, but not perfect. No place is.

Personally I don't have kids in schools, but feel Charlotte's schools have some issues. Personally I've never been involved in any crime (victim) but feel Charlotte has a crime problem.

It's just like what happened to me....did I think when I came here I would have such a hard time driving? Nope. Didn't think, didn't even enter my mind, that street lights would be an issue for me. Not enough of them, and too far apart and dim. I can not drive at night here, because of this. So yes, this city can have it's issues for potential movees. How much say this street light issue would affect? Probably very few, but it is something that I feel should be presented...simply because like myself I didn't even think to check that out. Boy I am next time I move. It's on my list GOOD street lighting.

As someone who had been coming to visit the Charlotte metro area for a good 25 plus years ( one to two times a year) I thought I had the area pegged pretty good. I did not. When I came to visit relatives I really never listened to the news, I never drove much (family always drove me around)
What a concern to me once I moved here to actually watch the news in regards to crime, school issues etc, not to mention driving at night time.

So what I'm saying is yes these boards can and do have some stupid remarks, however tearing into someone because they have a different view or stating to others NOT to read anything negative is remiss for all of us.

Let the potential movees decide on their own what to absorb in comments, whether we feel the comments are over and above what may be necessarily true...Not everyone's experience is the same here.

Some manage to have a great life. Some have a so-so life, and some have a horrible life. It depends on what one requires, in order to survive, and be happy.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
It's just like what happened to me....did I think when I came here I would have such a hard time driving? Nope. Didn't think, didn't even enter my mind, that street lights would be an issue for me. Not enough of them, and too far apart and dim.
At night, try turing on your headlights.

First time I have heard this complaint, but I frequently drive at night.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,972 times
Quote:
Not really. If people are thinking of moving, don't you think it's fair of people to give them some info good and bad both? One thing about the board here is if any negativity is posted in regards to Charlotte the OP is usually attacked.

Every city has it's bad and good points. Charlotte is no Utopia, and I think giving people that impression could be misleading. It's a great city, but not perfect. No place is.

Personally I don't have kids in schools, but feel Charlotte's schools have some issues. Personally I've never been involved in any crime (victim) but feel Charlotte has a crime problem.

It's just like what happened to me....did I think when I came here I would have such a hard time driving? Nope. Didn't think, didn't even enter my mind, that street lights would be an issue for me. Not enough of them, and too far apart and dim. I can not drive at night here, because of this. So yes, this city can have it's issues for potential movees. How much say this street light issue would affect? Probably very few, but it is something that I feel should be presented...simply because like myself I didn't even think to check that out. Boy I am next time I move. It's on my list GOOD street lighting.

As someone who had been coming to visit the Charlotte metro area for a good 25 plus years ( one to two times a year) I thought I had the area pegged pretty good. I did not. When I came to visit relatives I really never listened to the news, I never drove much (family always drove me around)
What a concern to me once I moved here to actually watch the news in regards to crime, school issues etc, not to mention driving at night time.

So what I'm saying is yes these boards can and do have some stupid remarks, however tearing into someone because they have a different view or stating to others NOT to read anything negative is remiss for all of us.

Let the potential movees decide on their own what to absorb in comments, whether we feel the comments are over and above what may be necessarily true...Not everyone's experience is the same here.

Some manage to have a great life. Some have a so-so life, and some have a horrible life. It depends on what one requires, in order to survive, and be happy.

Hmmm....well actually I don't think I "tore" (your word) into anyone for their opinion. I made a general statement about my beliefs, yet you found it necessary to rip into me for having an opinion. I don't know, but that sounds a little contradictory to me.

BTW, the schools and crime, they have issues in the rougher areas of city...just like every other city in America. Those problems are not spread city wide, and to make general statements such as you did is a perfect example of why I said these threads need to be taken with a grain-of-salt. Too many people make comments on things they do not have knowledge on. Thank you for proving my point.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

Actually, I understand that. If you are used to an area that is more urban, the lack of street lights is very unnerving. It took me a long time to get used to it.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Inappropriate comment albeit smiley face and all. It's a medical condition, perhaps understanding the concept of losing site in one's eye may escape some people. The few times I've HAD to go out in the evening( emergency with my son) , my headlights were on.

However I will say it has taught me valuable lesson! One should never
"assume" things will be kind of the same, regardless of where they move.
It was completely my fault for assuming that good street lighting is everywhere. And I accept the blame for not checking it out..plus my condition has worsened in the eye. It has taught me to make sure I live where it's lit up next time I move.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
Hmmm....well actually I don't think I "tore" (your word) into anyone for their opinion. I made a general statement about my beliefs, yet you found it necessary to rip into me for having an opinion. I don't know, but that sounds a little contradictory to me.

BTW, the schools and crime, they have issues in the rougher areas of city...just like every other city in America. Those problems are not spread city wide, and to make general statements such as you did is a perfect example of why I said these threads need to be taken with a grain-of-salt. Too many people make comments on things they do not have knowledge on. Thank you for proving my point.
That was not directed to you personally. I thought I wrotes "remiss of us all"
If you took it personal I apologize

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Quote:
Inappropriate comment albeit smiley face and all. It's a medical condition, perhaps understanding the concept of losing site in one's eye may escape some people. The few times I've HAD to go out in the evening( emergency with my son) , my headlights were on.

I offer an apology.
I often drive at night.
2x a year we drive from CLT to ME/MA, family sleeps, I drive.

I have crossed Nevada/California deserts at night and watched the sunrise at Joshua Tree.
I have driven from Prauge to Munich during the night on very dark roads as well.
Honestly, I love driving at night - no sun, less traffic, no 'are we there yet' conversation.

It is all what you expect at night I guess.
BUT, I just would never think to criticize a town for lack of artificial lighting.
FWIW, completely lighted roadways at night are actually NOT listed in the Constitution or Bill of Rights, and as an amateur astronomer, the darker the city, the better, IMHO. Check out the October 2008 National Geographic.

Last edited by mullman; 01-17-2009 at 10:43 AM..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I offer an apology.
I often drive at night.
2x a year we drive from CLT to ME/MA, family sleeps, I drive.

I have crossed Nevada/California deserts at night and watched the sunrise at Joshua Tree.
I have driven from Prauge to Munich during the night on very dark roads as well.
Honestly, I love driving at night - no sun, less traffic, no 'are we there yet' conversation.

It is all what you expect at night I guess.
I just would never think to criticize a town for lack of artificial lighting.
FWIW, completely lighted roadways at night are actually NOT listed in the Constitution or Bill of Rights, and as an amateur astronomer, the darker the city, the better, IMHO. Check out the October 2008 National Geographic.
I understand there are no guarantees on lighting in a city, but my point was JUST IN CASE someone is sight compromised, they may wish to check out where they move, and attempt night driving. I suppose I have made a horrible travesty yet again, in posting something that could be a possible issue about Charlotte( for some people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte