Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
People aren't buying PCs like they used to. Best Buy no longer carries higher end PC equipment either. Their selection is really no better than Staples or Office Depot. The hot items now consumers are buying are iPads, iPhones and other mobile gadgets, which stores like the Apple Store dominate that market. At the rate its going, by the end of this decade the home desktop PC will more than likely be extinct.
As you noticed, Best Buy has backed off. Most of their computer area is filled with touchpads like iPads & Android devices. They carry all of those "hot" items. So how are they not following the trends?

Quote:
CDs and DVDs, which used to take up at least 1/3 of the entire Best Buy store are going digital, especially CDs.
Best Buy has shrunk the shelf space of CDs by alot. They sell digitally both in-store and on their website. So again how are they not following the trends?

As to DVDs, the digital life isn't as strong as physical sales at this point.

Quote:
PC games are all but dead
Actually not. I guess you haven't heard of Steam. Amazon took note and now has entered that market, which is digital form. Diablo III has huge press and it is a PC exclusive.

Quote:
and Xbox 360/PS3 games can be purchased anywhere.
Best Buy has renovated their games department. They now take in preown games by offering better trade values than most. They sell used products as well. They offer a program similar to Gamestop's save 10% with magazine card. They staff the area with gamers themselves (at least at the ones I visit). Given their price match policy in addition to what I listed above, they can't be beat.

Quote:
This leaves only TVs, appliances, and home theater systems as areas where Best Buy still has relevance.
Come on now. They have the ability to get it NOW. Add in the sales they offer + price match policy, that keeps them easily relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
So if Best Buy is still relevant why are they blaming Amazon and online sales for their decline? What is the real problem with BB?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If you go in a few stores and end up buying online did you waste the salepersons time?
I don't think its possible to waste your time when you are researching and looking for the best price for a product you are purchasing with your hard earned money.

I just like to minimize the loooooong discussions. I prefer to get to the point and get what I want without all the added extras that they want to sell. It is never a waste of time getting the best price but I still don't want to spend half of a day in a store trying to get it when I can educate myself and come prepared.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
As companies fall, there are less competitors so no reason to run sales. Amazon has already backed off on the sales (as seen this past holiday season). Further proof: Netflix outpriced Blockbuster. Blockbuster was restructured/bought out. Netflix hiked up prices since their true competitor was in the dumps.
I don't believe in this theory. Netflix streaming via Roku at $8.99/month is an incredible deal considering what is available. They have plenty of competition. Amazon, Hulu, Itunes, and a host of others all compete with them on-line (there are over a 1000 providers on Roku now) and for physical DVDs there are still Blockbuster stores and a Redbox in every grocery store. Companies fail because of bad management and failures to address the changing needs of their customers. Like the others have stated above, I don't go to Best Buy because they have made the buying experience there frustrating and feeling like you have been mugged by their sales tactics once you leave.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 AM

Netflix took a major hit when they split their physical and streaming services. Blockbuster had to change their box store strategy as well to compete with Redbox and Netflix. Netflix isn't an incredible deal if you are a long time customer. Rates have gone up and the streaming selection has gone down.

Amazon may have cut back on electronic sales but they have amazing sales on music. I'm pretty sure they take a loss on some of their music sales. Gaga's album was sold for .99 cents for the first few days when it dropped and plenty of new albums are sold for 3.99. They recently had a bunch of albums selling for .25 cents. Yep, a whole album for a quarter.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I just like to minimize the loooooong discussions. I prefer to get to the point and get what I want without all the added extras that they want to sell. It is never a waste of time getting the best price but I still don't want to spend half of a day in a store trying to get it when I can educate myself and come prepared.
How loooong are discussions in most stores? The only time a sales clerk gives undivided attention is when the store is empty.

I think people are being a little dramatic with the wasted time and education comments. Most customers go to a store, pick the product up or find out a few specs...they aren't asking them to build it from scratch or take the product apart and show how the inside works.

I could see if we were talking about the car buying experience because that can take all day.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Netflix took a major hit when they split their physical and streaming services. Blockbuster had to change their box store strategy as well to compete with Redbox and Netflix. Netflix isn't an incredible deal if you are a long time customer. Rates have gone up and the streaming selection has gone down.
I can't compare to the past as I've only had Netflix for a short while. All I can say that it's much better than what I was getting via cable TV and hugely less expensive. They made mistakes and paid for it. Now they are gaining back customers and their stock is on the rise. Best Buy could learn a lesson from them.

Blockbuster went out of business because they refused to address the competition. Dish Network bought their remaining assets at the bankruptcy auction and are attempting to position it as an advantage of going with Dish instead of the other options. Dish is offering a partial streaming option with Blockbuster thru their satellite receivers connected to the internet and their customers can order free DVDs through the mail.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I can't compare to the past as I've only had Netflix for a short while. All I can say that it's much better than what I was getting via cable TV and hugely less expensive. They made mistakes and paid for it. Now they are gaining back customers and their stock is on the rise. Best Buy could learn a lesson from them.
Gaining customers back? I haven't seen that. I started Netflix years ago. I started with a 2 out plan for 11.99 plan (no extra charge for bluray). A year ago, I was on a 1 out plan for 13.99 (blu-ray extra charge). 6 months later, I was told I would have another hike to 16.99 to keep the plan I had been on.

All the while I saw all my services decreasing. New Releases? 30 Day window. Sony/Disney and anything from Starz? No longer streaming. Then the whole Qwikster thing... I am surprised some still put up with them. Blockbuster offered me my old price and gave me blu-ray for free, new releases upon release, and video games. It was a no brainer.

For history purpose...
While Blockbuster was doing alright, Netflix had price wars with them which gave nice pricing to consumers. With Blockbusters fading into bankruptcy, they no longer had to complete thus the two big price hikes in 2011.

Quote:
Blockbuster went out of business because they refused to address the competition. Dish Network bought their remaining assets at the bankruptcy auction and are attempting to position it as an advantage of going with Dish instead of the other options. Dish is offering a partial streaming option with Blockbuster thru their satellite receivers connected to the internet and their customers can order free DVDs through the mail.
Blockbuster went under because it refused to add new mediums prior to competition entering in i.e. mailing service, kiosks, etc; being behind the times. They were already failing when they finally entered the mailing service forum, which started off rocky; Netflix had already perfected that and started focusing on streaming. The Blockbuster kiosks didn't come until right at bankrupsy; Redbox had perfected the kiosk service prior to Blockbuster entering.

Though do realize pricing had a huge part in it too. A 2 out plan in-store at Blockbuster during their prime cost you 30+ dollars. Netflix gave some plans for close to 20 dollars cheaper. Blockbuster cost $4 for a rental, where Redbox offered a rental for $1.

Quote:
They have plenty of competition. Amazon, Hulu, Itunes, and a host of others all compete with them on-line (there are over a 1000 providers on Roku now) and for physical DVDs there are still Blockbuster stores and a Redbox in every grocery store.
Amazon is too new not enough content to rival. Hulu mainly focuses on television programming so again not a true rival. iTunes is more a retailer so not a true rival.

Blockbuster received new life due to Netflix's price hike. I wasn't the only one that switch to it. If Netflix kept pricing where it was, I think the chain as a whole would not have any store fronts today. Redbox is a competitor but it is a different market approach than Netflix; one day disc rent vs unlimited usage of discs and streaming content.

Last edited by ncopus99; 03-31-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Amazon is too new not enough content to rival. Hulu mainly focuses on television programming so again not a true rival. iTunes is more a retailer so not a true rival.

Blockbuster received new life due to Netflix's price hike. I wasn't the only one that switch to it. If Netflix kept pricing where it was, I think the chain as a whole would not have any store fronts today. Redbox is a competitor but it is a different market approach than Netflix; one day disc rent vs unlimited usage of discs and streaming content.
You are offering up an opinion which you are entitled to. I don't agree with it however. As I said, Blockbuster went bankrupt and is now out of business. Dish Network is re-engineering what remains of Blockbuster as a tool for its satellite business.
Quote:
Gaining customers back? I haven't seen that.
I recommend you read this. While you may have had an issue with them, it seems that many 100s of thousands of new customers don't.

Netflix shares surge as customer base grows - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/netflix-revenue-gains-fourth-quarter-211702152.html - broken link)

Netflix adapted to the competition and admitted to its mistakes and is doing well again. Maybe some people will hold a grudge, but others won't. If Best Buy cleans up it's act then it might gain me back as a customer.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Best Buy can bounce back if they scale back inventory and price match Amazon. I would never buy a high priced ticket online if I can get it same day even if its a few dollars more. However if its 100 bucks or more its a no brainer.

Not sure about their lax return policies... I've heard if you don't have a big ticket item delivered to your house its hard to get full value on a return if your product was defective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte