Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 AM

372 posts, read 723,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
I was very sad to see pictures of the new Ballantyne-area Publix. They have self checkout lanes.
It's an option. If they weren't there, some people would still want it. I guarantee you will see the same level of service at the check outs Publix is known for, regardless of them.

Just glad the day is finally here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
It's an option. If they weren't there, some people would still want it. I guarantee you will see the same level of service at the check outs Publix is known for, regardless of them.

Just glad the day is finally here.
Publix is a great store, but then again so is Harris Teeter. Just hope Kroger doesn't change it.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,932 times
Hmmm, I didn't see self serve checkouts when I was there this morning, and I think I was at the first checkout closest to the customer service desk. Maybe I missed them? Regardless, self checkouts are a choice, what's wrong with offering that. I did get a kick out of all of the signs that said "No Loyalty Card Needed".

Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
How was the grand opening? I never made it over there. Any freebies? I got a bag from the Indian Land opening.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:46 AM

286 posts, read 689,201 times
There are self-service check outs at the new store. I went to grand opening yesterday afternoon, very crowded. The parking lot was at capacity. They had police officers directing traffic coming in and out on Providence Road West. I really couldn't enjoy the experience because it was so many people in there (this was around 12 noon). But what I was saw I liked. It's another option for me besides the 4 HT's, Bi-Lo and WM. Once the hype wears down, I hope to visit often. The parking lot isn't big at all. They have offered samples of brand products yesterday through-out the store. Did some giveaways as well, also gave out Publix reusable bags.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
I was very sad to see pictures of the new Ballantyne-area Publix. They have self checkout lanes.
What's wrong with the self checkout lanes? I use them at Ingles because I prefer to bag my own. I always used the bag your own lines at Pathmark. We don't have that option here.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:33 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What's wrong with the self checkout lanes? I use them at Ingles because I prefer to bag my own. I always used the bag your own lines at Pathmark. We don't have that option here.
I always bag my own stuff at HT and Bi-Lo. The wife prefers that I bag for some reason even when there is someone to help.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
It is great to see Publix #1442 open. Here is the first of ten confirmed stores opening in North Carolina.

For Food Lion and Lowe's Foods, bad times are ahead as they fall below Publix.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I always bag my own stuff at HT and Bi-Lo. The wife prefers that I bag for some reason even when there is someone to help.
I also prefer that hubby bags, and he prefers doing it as well. He worked his way through college bagging at a grocery store and he does it much, much better. He keeps all the cold stuff together, puts the boxed stuff in neatly and keeps easily damaged items towards the tops. And he does it all using 30% less bags! I told him that he needs to start a "grocery bagging" school to teach the current crop how to do it properly!

We are extremely happy with our Publix down in Indian Land. Much nicer, and usually cheaper, produce, have many things that we were unable to find down here. Very rarely are out of stock of an advertised item, and if they are they are very willing and happy to check in the back for more stock. Not like the surly looks I get at HT. Customer service is unparalleled. Very neat and clean and doesn't have a bunch of freestanding displays to have to navigate around. Unfortunately, though, I just found out that they are no longer doubling coupons. But overall I have found out that their prices are lower than HT anyway.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't like them because Harris Teeter overuses them. I'll have a bunch of 12-packs of Coke, bottles of water, and Teeter expects me to balance them on that small bagging area or the register will error out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte