Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,734,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I know pink's caddy, but I figured I would summarize for the rest of the group.
Bless your heart.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,421,747 times
^ ha!!!

Is English really not your first language? I would die if I EVER heard a foreigner say "bless your heart"

I don't know if I'd be mad, or I'd laugh or what... Goodness. I work around a lot of French people, Can't imagine them saying that...

Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 AM

291 posts, read 872,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Here's my summary of those 9 paragraphs:
1. A warning that this is his/her personal preferences
2. Talks about other places he/she lived
3. Charlotte is boring because it has a lot of chain restaurants (this paragraph also mentions Charlotte having a third-rate symphony/opera)
4. Symphonies and opera
5. People in Charlotte have a faux sense of self-importance and are terrible drivers
6. People in Charlotte don't use normal speaking voices
7. Talking again about the other places they've lived
8. Different cities are different
9. OP is leaving

So of those 9 paragraphs, really only four of them had actual complaints about Charlotte. And two of them mentioned the symphonies and opera, one of which was devoted entirely to that subject. So yeah, it did seem like the symphonies and opera had a lot to do with the OP not liking Charlotte (and as mentioned in paragraph #1, that is his/her opinion, which is fine).
Loved the summary - and the condensation of words! OP seems like a very intelligent, well spoken person who is right miserable...hoping he/she can find happiness in their next location.
Here's my summary:

1. Lonely person

Powhere is Nerfect...... but, I love Charlotte - so happy living here - Have lived many other places..there were positives and negatives about each place, but life was what we made of it, and the glass always more full than empty. Hope the OP can find a place to be content and feel the same way as we do about CLT!

May all have a great day!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,734,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
^ ha!!!

Is English really not your first language? I would die if I EVER heard a foreigner say "bless your heart"

I don't know if I'd be mad, or I'd laugh or what... Goodness. I work around a lot of French people, Can't imagine them saying that...
Hint: Read my Public Profile, About Me and "any other additional information". Always has been there for anyone to read.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 AM

642 posts, read 1,173,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Glad you said that . . . I was scratching my head, lol. The Lake Geneva I know is in Switzerland (Lac Leman) So I was kinda lost . . .

I agree with others that Charlotte would have a totally different vibe if it were on a river, wh/ is not the same as lakes and rivers nearby.
Oooops. I meant Lake Geneva (lac Leman) in Switzerland. Sorreee.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,648,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Oooops. I meant Lake Geneva (lac Leman) in Switzerland. Sorreee.
You lived near Lac Leman? I am sooooo envious! The most memorable dinner I have had in my entire life was at a restaurant on Lac Leman, gazing out towards Mount Blanc. I will never forget it. The food itself was wonderful, but the view at sunset . . . I have returned in my mind to that moment many times. It was a very romantic evening. We stayed in Lausanne over a week and I have fantasized about moving there many times.

There is no doubt in my mind that cities on waterfronts have an advantage over those that are not on water. I don't know why folks would take this as some kind of slam against Charlotte - it just is what it is. We have lakes nearby, which is great. But it is not the same as a waterway threading its way through a city or a lake/river creating the natural boundary of a city.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 AM

3,873 posts, read 4,297,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
This may sound "hickish" of me(I am from Arkansas after all), but if your biggest complaint about Charlotte is that darn Charlotte Symphony and a freakin opera, then I am looking forward to moving there! Charlotte, here I come!!!
Wow, what a thread, but this post had me ROFL. I lived in urban DC (capitol hill area) for a few years and I know the symphony and opera are the true measurement of cosmopolitan for some folk but give me a break, it's not high priority on most people's list of things to do this week or weekend....good luck bluehorn.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 AM

642 posts, read 1,173,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You lived near Lac Leman? I am sooooo envious! The most memorable dinner I have had in my entire life was at a restaurant on Lac Leman, gazing out towards Mount Blanc. I will never forget it. The food itself was wonderful, but the view at sunset . . . I have returned in my mind to that moment many times. It was a very romantic evening. We stayed in Lausanne over a week and I have fantasized about moving there many times.

There is no doubt in my mind that cities on waterfronts have an advantage over those that are not on water. I don't know why folks would take this as some kind of slam against Charlotte - it just is what it is. We have lakes nearby, which is great. But it is not the same as a waterway threading its way through a city or a lake/river creating the natural boundary of a city.
yes, I lived in the Geveva, Switzerland area rom 1974 - 2009. We had a house that had a view from the Jet d'Eau in Geneva up to Chateau Cillon in Montruex. Our son was born in Switzerland and then he met an American gorl in an internet chat room. 10 years later, they married. That was 5 years ago and now Mrs. krokus and I are proud grandparents and our son and his family live in South Charlotte. This is why we are coming to Charlotte to live.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM

15,360 posts, read 12,691,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Wow, what a thread, but this post had me ROFL. I lived in urban DC (capitol hill area) for a few years and I know the symphony and opera are the true measurement of cosmopolitan for some folk but give me a break, it's not high priority on most people's list of things to do this week or weekend....good luck bluehorn.
The pay scale of the symphony is what really chaps bluehorn...

Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,648,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The pay scale of the symphony is what really chaps bluehorn...
He was simply using that as a way of illustrating how devalued the symphony is here!

And yes, for some folks, having a wonderful symphony and opera DOES matter, and there are cities the size of Charlotte who invest much more into supporting their symphonies . . . it isn't just a "big city" phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte