Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Why do so many churches, especially predominantly African American churches, seem unable to stop mixing their religion with politics? I find this very disturbing regardless of which candidate a pastor wants to encourage his flock to vote for. It's wrong regardless.

By law, churches – tax-exempt organizations – are not permitted to endorse individual candidates from the pulpit.

The Rev Gregory Moss of St. Paul's Baptist sure found a way around the law!

Read more here: Charlotte-area churches issue calls to get out the vote | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Hubby and I were discussing this over the weekend, Loves.

We were recalling how the media went bonkers loopy when the Catholic church released a document, available for parishioners to pick up and read about the church's position in re: to the 2008 election issues.

Liberals called for taking away tax exempt status from those churches.

And yet no one in those churches ever stated "vote for xx" (any particular candidate).

Much less, did a priest pontificate from the pulpit, giving his opinion on "who" parishioners should vote for.

But the media and liberals went bonkers. I can't remember if the ACLU might have even gotten involved.

I guess the level of outrage has nothing to do with substance and everything to do with candidate.

EDITED TO ADD: evidently, the Catholic Church makes this review on political issues vs. the church's stance on those issues available every four years. It does not mention any candidates, of course, at all.

Last edited by brokensky; 10-29-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Because some people are ignorant and do not have the intelligence to think on their own. It would take research and a basic understanding of domestic and foreign policy and issues to make a personal selection. If we have a leader that doesn't have these understandings, we can't expect it of our citizenry? I know that church and state aren't suppose to mix, but unfortunately they do. And, in the churches where the preacher preaches to its sheeple (very likely St. Paul Baptist), he knows that he has complete control his audiance and they will obey his wises and sit back and continue to scream, "AMEN!" at any thing said whether sensible or totally unintelligable. In reality, we are seeing part of the current racist/double standards in American society. If MLK was sincere and could see society today, he would be sickened. We are more polarized than ever.

I am sure that this type of activity goes on in all sectors of society. But, I have certainly not seen it in mine.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Its no different than a CEO sending out an email saying an Obama victory would put the company in jeopardy.

No one should get bullied, intimidated or preached into voting for a candidate. I wonder what the Mormon churches are preaching/suggesting lol.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Because some people are ignorant and do not have the intelligence to think on their own. It would take research and a basic understanding of domestic and foreign policy and issues to make a personal selection. If we have a leader that doesn't have these understandings, we can't expect it of our citizenry? I know that church and state aren't suppose to mix, but unfortunately they do. And, in the churches where the preacher preaches to its sheeple (very likely St. Paul Baptist), he knows that he has complete control his audiance and they will obey his wises and sit back and continue to scream, "AMEN!" at any thing said whether sensible or totally unintelligable. In reality, we are seeing part of the current racist/double standards in American society. If MLK was sincere and could see society today, he would be sickened. We are more polarized than ever.

I am sure that this type of activity goes on in all sectors of society. But, I have certainly not seen it in mine.
I too am disturbed by anyone who would vote for a candidate just because their pastor said to vote for them, and we know that happens.

If a pastor in my church even attempted to do this I'd get up, walk out and look for a new church.

The scary thing is, there are folks out there ignorant enough to follow the lead of the likes of Madonna, Morgan Freeman or Clint Eastwood, so I guess political pastors shouldn't surprise me

Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its no different than a CEO sending out an email saying an Obama victory would put the company in jeopardy.
But it IS different.

Corporate America is not a tax-exempt organization. There is no law against a CEO informing his workers about the bottom line.

But by law churches are not permitted to endorse individual candidates from the pulpit.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:

No one should get bullied, intimidated or preached into voting for a candidate. I wonder what the Mormon churches are preaching/suggesting lol.
It is different.

A church SHOULD lose its tax exempt status if they are, indeed, recommending a particular candidate from the pulpit and then essentially coercing, through peer pressure, members to register and vote.

A church is not a PAC.

It shouldn't happen, period.

That was an inappropriate dig at the Mormons/LDS church, in my opinion. There has been no suggestion that any sort of tactics are being used to push members to vote for Romney. If you had taken time to do a search, you may have been surprised what newspapers in Utah, and in which heavily LDS cities, have endorsed what candidates.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post

There is no racism or double standard. Some whites feel its unfair for blacks to vote for a black president but if you lol back over time blacks have always voted Dem... and is it really a surprise to see.some voting based on the guy who has the same skin tone? Besides Jesse Jackson most Americans have voted for white males... but now that a few more blacks are voting its a problem? Lol...

The great thing about voting is the privacy. A preacher, union, ceo, etc... they can bark all day and night but once the curtain is closed the individual can vote as they please.

where were these cross of racism over the other 43 presidents who were elected based on their skin color?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is different.

A church SHOULD lose its tax exempt status if they are, indeed, recommending a particular candidate from the pulpit and then essentially coercing, through peer pressure, members to register and vote.

A church is not a PAC.

It shouldn't happen, period.

That was an inappropriate dig at the Mormons/LDS church, in my opinion. There has been no suggestion that any sort of tactics are being used to push members to vote for Romney. If you had taken time to do a search, you may have been surprised what newspapers in Utah, and in which heavily LDS cities, have endorsed what candidates.
Its not inappropriate at all... you are a fool to think this isn't happening for Romney as well...

I never said it was right but its common... it happens all the time.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
There is no racism or double standard. Some whites feel its unfair for blacks to vote for a black president but if you lol back over time blacks have always voted Dem... and is it really a surprise to see.some voting based on the guy who has the same skin tone? Besides Jesse Jackson most Americans have voted for white males... but now that a few more blacks are voting its a problem? Lol...

The great thing about voting is the privacy. A preacher, union, ceo, etc... they can bark all day and night but once the curtain is closed the individual can vote as they please.

where were these cross of racism over the other 43 presidents who were elected based on their skin color?
Sure a voter "can vote how they please", but you are missing the point.

Pastors are not supposed to endorse candidates, and we all know some of them are. This is illegal and a sad commentary on the ignorance of folks who can't be bothered to educate themselves on which candidate truly deserves their vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte