Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 PM

31 posts, read 45,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
My magic 8 ball predicts that a proposal for a new ES for Lawson follows in short order.
Off base?
I don't think you need the 8 ball for that one. Because of the dysfunctional relationship of the BOE and BOCC, the BOE has to utilize the space they currently have before they can even think about leaning on the BOCC for funds for a new ES. Since the Cuthbertson ES was next on the list when the economy and housing imploded, stands to reason that is where they will go. Especially given the continuation of the construction in pre-implode developments such as Millbridge, Lawson and Cureton that have been on the books for years.

If I had a crack with your 8 ball, I would see what it says about the next MS/HS going in Wesley Chapel...

Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDB1905 View Post
I don't think you need the 8 ball for that one. Because of the dysfunctional relationship of the BOE and BOCC, the BOE has to utilize the space they currently have before they can even think about leaning on the BOCC for funds for a new ES. Since the Cuthbertson ES was next on the list when the economy and housing imploded, stands to reason that is where they will go. Especially given the continuation of the construction in pre-implode developments such as Millbridge, Lawson and Cureton that have been on the books for years.

If I had a crack with your 8 ball, I would see what it says about the next MS/HS going in Wesley Chapel...
Its going to take bonds to get any new schools built. I don't believe that bond issue for new schools has a snowballs chance of passing now any time soon. I know I won't ever vote to give them a dime to build an outhouse from here on out. They may be back in 5 years trying to figure out how to get more MCRs on site.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 PM

136 posts, read 181,713 times
Quote:
Really????? Did you just comment on a post from November 11, 2013?

You typed in the wrong URL, try www.facebook.com
I'm giving up FB for lent, sorry.
Chicago Woman Gives Up Facebook For Lent « CBS Chicago
(and my article is from 2012!)

Last edited by waxhawdoc; 03-04-2014 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: lost the thread...

Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 PM

398 posts, read 619,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
There's always been an ES on the books at the Cuthbertson campus. Ideally, I would think that the BoE would do some analysis and replace WUES with a somewhat larger ES located somewhere in between WU and the Cuthbertson campus. That way more kids would be able to take advantage of a new school and it would get WU off the books. But then again, I don't believe the BoE will accomplish much of anything going forward.
Perhaps now we can unite to make progress we all agree on. Call me an starry-eyed optimist....

Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Perhaps now we can unite to make progress we all agree on. Call me an starry-eyed optimist....
See my post a couple above....^^^

Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM

137 posts, read 191,172 times
With the amount of open seats still available and the bickering between the two boards as it is, I'd wager we're a decade away from a new cluster being built. Gonna have to make it with what we have for now.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I can live with that but they are going to have to invest in some county-wide upgrades as well.
Thanks for mentioning that Raith, I should have put this in my previous post, because this is one area of good that I hope comes out of this really messy process. I did not know the state of some of these older schools prior to this and really hope they are given as much, if not more, priority than the building of new schools here in the short term. There are kids and teachers in those buildings too, and they deserve the same amount of care and attention that is afforded the newer schools.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
With the amount of open seats still available and the bickering between the two boards as it is, I'd wager we're a decade away from a new cluster being built. Gonna have to make it with what we have for now.
None of these people will be in their seats after their respective terms are up. I'd be surprised if any run and if they do, chances of them getting re-elected are slim, unless you are Stewart, they love him in his district, he's hero that took on the rich westside meanies.

Same for the BoCC, three are up in November an only 1 is running. He won't get re-elected.

Any future schools are going to come from bonds, so the voters will decide. This battle has left some realyl deep scars. I agree it might be decades before we see any new schools, but it won't be because of the boards. The voters aren't going to give either group the satisfaction of any monies after all of this. I know I won't support any bonds for any school buildings unless all schools are fixed and all schools have equal facilities. That might decades to accomplish.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 PM

103 posts, read 162,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
It won't happen unless people are really emotional and stupid.

There is no place to go.
Turnover started in New Town Village months and months ago.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Its going to take bonds to get any new schools built. I don't believe that bond issue for new schools has a snowballs chance of passing now any time soon. I know I won't ever vote to give them a dime to build an outhouse from here on out. They may be back in 5 years trying to figure out how to get more MCRs on site.
Very good point JLat. You are right that with the atmosphere so toxic right now any discussion of the topic would incite the creation of dozens of Facebook groups. The problem is you can't drop buildings from the sky and that process typically takes many years, so they probably aren't going to be able to wait forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte