Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 07:36 AM

99 posts, read 178,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staynclassy san diego View Post
nckeith, you are completely wrong and quite honestly offensive to even suggest this.
Not many know but the HOA that manages Wesley Oaks also manages two other neighborhoods so "Wesley Oaks" is really made up of three different neighborhoods (The Glen and The Estates). All three neighborhoods are going to SV and as a resident I can assure you there are many in our 3 neighborhoods that are embarrassed by the actions of the loud mouth minority coming out of our neighborhoods. If you knew the "leaders" of this resistance in Wesley Oaks, you would realize some of them have very bad reputations in the community but now have an audience with others who are either unwilling or unable to think for themselves. The animosity they spew is egregious and I truly feel for the parents, students and administration at SV and PW.

So bring on the questions that may come up.....Yes I would have liked to stay at Cuthbertson but it didn't happen and guess what....my kids will be just fine and won't get beat up, bullied, picked on or receive a bad education. They will still have every opportunity to be successful because I choose to be involved. What better way to help your children than to take this as an opportunity to work with them closely through the change because guess what....it won't be the last time in their lifetimes they will have to deal with change.

Lastly, I did have a good laugh at your comment when I spoke to one of my friends in the neighborhood who is, as you say, one of the "people of color" going from Cuthbertson to SV. He feels the same way as I do and his children will be just fine. No need to put all of us in the same box....it's a big world out there.
I am not putting you in that box. In fact your comments about the "leaders", is my point exactly. They are making you and the other level headed members of your community look like elitist snobs. Which is obviously not the case. What do you think the true motivation of these so called "leaders" are. You honestly believe they aren't upset buying into a 300k plus neighborhood and the thought of co-mingling with poorer people is not the true driving force. That suddenly they are moving up the totem pole and their kids playdates wont be at Skyecroft and rather St. John's with vinyl homes. I can't paint a brush of entire neighborhoods, thats ridiculous. But I stand by my observation that the vocal minority are paintign you in that brush righ now. Those same leaders are making your kids right now think that Sun Valley is the worst school on the planet and making the transisition for kids even harder. The attorneys that will take up this cause do not care and are fleecing hard working folks for a lot of money.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 AM

15 posts, read 22,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckeith View Post
I am not putting you in that box. In fact your comments about the "leaders", is my point exactly. They are making you and the other level headed members of your community look like elitist snobs. Which is obviously not the case. What do you think the true motivation of these so called "leaders" are. You honestly believe they aren't upset buying into a 300k plus neighborhood and the thought of co-mingling with poorer people is not the true driving force. That suddenly they are moving up the totem pole and their kids playdates wont be at Skyecroft and rather St. John's with vinyl homes. I can't paint a brush of entire neighborhoods, thats ridiculous. But I stand by my observation that the vocal minority are paintign you in that brush righ now. Those same leaders are making your kids right now think that Sun Valley is the worst school on the planet and making the transisition for kids even harder. The attorneys that will take up this cause do not care and are fleecing hard working folks for a lot of money.
nckeith, it was absolutely not the true driving force. The "leaders" actually started out campaigning with the mantra that WO should go to Parkwood since WO was the only Cuthbertson neighborhood moving to SV. Their fight was predicated upon their kids leaving their friends, not interacting with a "lower" socioeconomic class. The "leaders" and followers of WO then switched to this all or nothing approach by listening to Ms. Savage and Ms. Hodges. WO was doomed when they put all their eggs in this basket and it was further proven by Ms. Savage throwing a temper tantrum and walking off stage, not even being able to provide any recommendations/amendments to the board for consideration (whether it would have been WO, Valhalla, etc.). She is an elected official and didn't act like one.

For the record, I quickly stepped away from their charge because it was unorganized and emotional. My guess is that Millbridge didn't fall victim to either being unorganized and emotional and was able to clearly articulate their message to a board member that would listen.

I am off my soapbox about WO. What's done is done and people need to realize there is a much bigger issue other than race, socioeconomic status, etc and it falls squarely on the interactions between local government, BOE and BOCC.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 AM

99 posts, read 178,868 times
Quote:
nckeith, it was absolutely not the true driving force. The "leaders" actually started out campaigning with the mantra that WO should go to Parkwood since WO was the only Cuthbertson neighborhood moving to SV. Their fight was predicated upon their kids leaving their friends, not interacting with a "lower" socioeconomic class. The "leaders" and followers of WO then switched to this all or nothing approach by listening to Ms. Savage and Ms. Hodges. WO was doomed when they put all their eggs in this basket and it was further proven by Ms. Savage throwing a temper tantrum and walking off stage, not even being able to provide any recommendations/amendments to the board for consideration (whether it would have been WO, Valhalla, etc.). She is an elected official and didn't act like one.

For the record, I quickly stepped away from their charge because it was unorganized and emotional. My guess is that Millbridge didn't fall victim to either being unorganized and emotional and was able to clearly articulate their message to a board member that would listen.

I am off my soapbox about WO. What's done is done and people need to realize there is a much bigger issue other than race, socioeconomic status, etc and it falls squarely on the interactions between local government, BOE and BOCC.
I am sorry that it was handled so poorly for you. Were people as upset when they had to leave friends and go to cuthbertson. I don't remember attorneys collecting money in 2009 to block kids having to leave friends to move there. Am I incorrect?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you're happy this time around because the lines fell in favor of you - i.e. "geography was your friend" (as you would put it), then I'm sorry to say you're being naive. The BOE bungled the largest redistricting they ever attempted... period. Too few people were actual stakeholders and there were deals cut for select people only. The checks and balances for something this big were sorely lacking. The process is broken if a "policy decision" can be handled this way.

Put some focus on who this plan really benefits... Who made out the best with this deal? Did you ever think about that?
I'm assuming you're saying builders/developers with this? Let's be honest, the growth in UC probably wasn't going to slow anyway. The same people complaining that Cuthbertson will be left with room were probably the same ones saying "We need a longer-term solution!" And has been pointed out before, it seems a bit hypocritical to say "they're leaving seats open for people that haven't even moved in yet," when a good portion of those complaining were some of the last people to move in.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 AM

98 posts, read 132,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
umm...you entrust "those people" with your child every day when you send them to school. You do have a choice, you know?

I should have clarified....I think the teachers do a wonderful job....as far as the BOE7 and their supposed "DR" leaders, those are the people that scare me

Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Wow, every time I disappear for a few days things explode around here.

MikeyKid summed this up nicely a few pages ago. We've been down this path many many times. People opposed to the reassignment have a variety of reasons for not wanting to move. Some are valid others are just noise. This forum has been a great place where the valid opposition has been discussed by many thoughtful posters both for and against. If you want the noise, head to FB.

Most posts here sounded like most of the speeches at the BOE public meetings and should have been very effective. Instead the "leaders" decided to bombard the BOE with smear campaigns, media tactics, thousands of emails per day, etc. No wonder the BOE didn't listen when the valid arguments were put out there.

[sarcasm alert] It's good to be back, btw. We took our kids on a humanitarian trip and flew our helicopter from our mcmansion down to Parkwood to hand out shoes, school supplies and used RadioShack computers.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Wow, every time I disappear for a few days things explode around here.

MikeyKid summed this up nicely a few pages ago. We've been down this path many many times. People opposed to the reassignment have a variety of reasons for not wanting to move. Some are valid others are just noise. This forum has been a great place where the valid opposition has been discussed by many thoughtful posters both for and against. If you want the noise, head to FB.

Most posts here sounded like most of the speeches at the BOE public meetings and should have been very effective. Instead the "leaders" decided to bombard the BOE with smear campaigns, media tactics, thousands of emails per day, etc. No wonder the BOE didn't listen when the valid arguments were put out there.

[sarcasm alert] It's good to be back, btw. We took our kids on a humanitarian trip and flew our helicopter from our mcmansion down to Parkwood to hand out shoes, school supplies and used RadioShack computers.

so in your mind its ok to give the BOE a pass for not listening to "valid" arguments because their email box was too full? really?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
The "leaders" actually started out campaigning with the mantra that WO should go to Parkwood since WO was the only Cuthbertson neighborhood moving to SV. Their fight was predicated upon their kids leaving their friends, not interacting with a "lower" socioeconomic class. The "leaders" and followers of WO then switched to this all or nothing approach by listening to Ms. Savage and Ms. Hodges.
I don't live in WO but have friends that do and my daughter has a lot of friends there. I can tell you that she is devistated that her WO friends won't be going to Parkwood with her. It was a huge mistake for WO to go all or nothing.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I don't live in WO but have friends that do and my daughter has a lot of friends there. I can tell you that she is devistated that her WO friends won't be going to Parkwood with her. It was a huge mistake for WO to go all or nothing.

that makes no sense....I don't live there, but how can one neighborhood dictate where they are going? I guess you are insinuating that WO was somehow given the choice of "if you be quiet you will go to Parkwood with the rest of the Cuthbertson people, but if you fight it, you get to go to sun valley"? When the original lines were drawn, the WO neighborhood was slotted for SV, not Parkwood. That's an oversight on the facilities committee, not the residents. Some speakers brought up the fact they were moving alone to SV. so the BOE should have proactively corrected it. There were MANY neighborhoods that campaigned to stay where they were, yet to only accommodation was given to the Millbridge neighborhood

Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm assuming you're saying builders/developers with this? Let's be honest, the growth in UC probably wasn't going to slow anyway. The same people complaining that Cuthbertson will be left with room were probably the same ones saying "We need a longer-term solution!" And has been pointed out before, it seems a bit hypocritical to say "they're leaving seats open for people that haven't even moved in yet," when a good portion of those complaining were some of the last people to move in.
Well, you tell me if Landeavor did well with amending Millbridge... Personally I think we're giving the residents too much credit for how that played out. They were organized, smart and calm - I'll give them that. But, all they needed to do really was not screw it up since the developer worked with their representative on the BOE to get it done. Now this is not a hit on that choice - I'm not suggesting "foul play"... I think it made sense and was the right thing to do. But there's no denying that it upped the ante for building in that development bigtime. That is one giant tract of land pumping away with houses that will be assigned to Cuthbertson. Again, don't take this the wrong way... I know the developer donated the land for Elem, etc. I know. But that severely tipped the forecasts and pretty much proves that this is more political than it is an analysis of data.

In contrast (as staynclassy points out well), you had other BOE representatives with their fingers up their nose doing squat for their constituents. I am so tired of the BOE7 garbage... enough of it already... incompetence from Hodges and Savage left other good cases for amendments unrealized. I see more issue with the the BOE2 than the 7. Hodges and Savage shouldn't be in politics because they are just fancy doormats that everyone likes to look at - but in the end the real politicians wipe their feet on them as they go inside and raid the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte