Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM

98 posts, read 164,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Since you keep repeating this over and over it's probably worth correcting you that Parkwood is rated a 4 on greatschools (and yes, I know that is still below average).
Thanks for correcting me. I apologize to anyone who was offended by a school 3 rating. Parkwood is a "4"
I also went on school digger just to make sure I don't make any more mistakes and I see that they have school rankings of ALL schools in NC. You can rank just the High schools. Cuthbertson is 18 th Parkwood is 275 th and that is in the state of NC out of 564 High schools. So Parkwood is not the worst but but being in the top 20 out of that is very good since it's only be open for 5 yrs. I guess I'm wondering why a school that has been rated so low for awhile has not been addressed by the BOE as to why and what needs to change to make it better.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Yeah I read a lot and do a numbers comparison and talk to teachers and local law enforcement for information but now I want to know from a neighbors side.
what did local law enforcement say?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM

44 posts, read 67,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
For the poster asking about Collonswood, I know a few families there and they are worried about being redistricted to Sun Valley schools. But the odds are low.
Thanks for your perspective. I'd really like to buy in there but want weddington schools. I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
FYI, I have a son in elementary school in addition to my junior in high school. And you say I should do a little more research? With all due respect, I have been living in union county most of my life and I know all about these schools b/c I have gone to them, volunteered in them, had my own kids in them, and been the product of them . Maybe instead of doing all of your "research" from a computer screen and reading the OPINIONS of others second hand on "great schools", you should venture out into the *oh so scary world that is Parkwood middle and high school* and see for yourself how RIDICULOUS you are being. Guess what you'll find? A school with lots of great kids, lots of great teachers, and plenty of school spirit. Shocking, I know. I think it is so unbelievably sad to see grown adults acting so dramatically and irrationally. I get that you want the best for your children and your financial future. But all of the dramatics are not helping a single thing.
Well said!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
FYI I did venture out. I did drive to Parkwood. And yes I have been in that school. Since you are so familiar with Parkwood maybe you can educate me on a few things that I am questioning. Why is Parkwood a grade 4 school. (I was corrected by someone because I heard it was a 3) also why is it ranked in NC #276 ? Cuthbertson by the way is ranked 18 th. Why is the graduation. Rate at 80-85% Cuthbertson is 98% why are the test scores very low (just curious who's responsible for that) and also you don't have to answer but I'll ask. Why did you move where you did if Parkwood was such a great school? I mean you could of saved thousands buying a house right in the Parkwood cluster . And I'm not saying this as sarcasm. I'm merely just trying to see it from someone who has been in that school system. Yeah I read a lot and do a numbers comparison and talk to teachers and local law enforcement for information but now I want to know from a neighbors side.

When I moved to this area, we were ALL districted to Parkwood. Cuthbertson and Marvin Ridge didn't exist! Nor did Kensington or New Town for that matter. As a child I lived in Weddington, but was districted to Sun Valley as it was the closest school there was. The "scores" at Sun Valley were nothing special, I can assure you of that. And we had a long bus ride every single day. But I graduated 6th in my senior class out of 191 regardless, went to UNC-Chapel Hill, and have a decent life! I WANTED to make good grades and go to college, and so I did. There were no special teachers holding my hand or any extraordinary surroundings to ensure that I would succeed. My point is this - everything is relative. I think that some folks are truly expecting TOO much from the teachers and from the "reputation" of a school. Sure it's a perk to have your child in a high ranked school (c'mon, we all want that for our kids), but it will by NO means keep them in a bubble or guarantee their success!! If there are higher scores at certain schools, I can assure you that it is a reflection of the PARENTS involved in the schools more than any teacher or principal or what have you. If many of the kids going to a particular school come from homes where their basic needs aren't being met (food, healthcare, love, safety, security, etc), I can guarantee that their priorities are going to be different!! When little Johnnie's tummy is grumbling or when his tooth is aching for lack of being able to see a dentist, he really isn't going to care as much if he makes an A or B or C not matter HOW fantastic his teacher is!!! Do you see my point? Kids are a reflection of their circumstances most often. I think that most teachers do the very best they can, I really do. And I'm certain that there are amazing kids and teachers in EVERY school. That said, I know as a parent that there are fears about crime and long bus rides and "low scores". But I truly do not have any fears about my child possibly having to go to Parkwood. I really don't! If it were ridden with gang members and shootings and resource officers, I may have my hesitations as safety then becomes a concern. But I just don't believe that to be the case here. Yes, we all want our property values to go up, up, up. But nothing is a guarantee. To answer your question, I moved here to begin with because I wanted to be away from all the traffic and stores and chaos!! Boy have times changed ;-) I have STAYED here, however, b/c its beautiful and clean and well... it's home. This area is amazing and it will stay amazing as long as our community works for it! The lack of spirit, strength, integrity, and patience I have seen here in this thread alone makes me realize that we could all be doomed if human nature takes over. Everyone needs to just breathe and look at the big picture here!!!! We are ALL in this and so are our kids. If WE freak out, THEY will freak out. Kids and parents and educators TOGETHER make a "great school", end of story. Parkwood can be an amazing school too if given the chance and a little love and nurturing. So there's my answer.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM

98 posts, read 164,976 times
Quote:
When I moved to this area, we were ALL districted to Parkwood. Cuthbertson and Marvin Ridge didn't exist! Nor did Kensington or New Town for that matter. As a child I lived in Weddington, but was districted to Sun Valley as it was the closest school there was. The "scores" at Sun Valley were nothing special, I can assure you of that. And we had a long bus ride every single day. But I graduated 6th in my senior class out of 191 regardless, went to UNC-Chapel Hill, and have a decent life! I WANTED to make good grades and go to college, and so I did. There were no special teachers holding my hand or any extraordinary surroundings to ensure that I would succeed. My point is this - everything is relative. I think that some folks are truly expecting TOO much from the teachers and from the "reputation" of a school. Sure it's a perk to have your child in a high ranked school (c'mon, we all want that for our kids), but it will by NO means keep them in a bubble or guarantee their success!! If there are higher scores at certain schools, I can assure you that it is a reflection of the PARENTS involved in the schools more than any teacher or principal or what have you. If many of the kids going to a particular school come from homes where their basic needs aren't being met (food, healthcare, love, safety, security, etc), I can guarantee that their priorities are going to be different!! When little Johnnie's tummy is grumbling or when his tooth is aching for lack of being able to see a dentist, he really isn't going to care as much if he makes an A or B or C not matter HOW fantastic his teacher is!!! Do you see my point? Kids are a reflection of their circumstances most often. I think that most teachers do the very best they can, I really do. And I'm certain that there are amazing kids and teachers in EVERY school. That said, I know as a parent that there are fears about crime and long bus rides and "low scores". But I truly do not have any fears about my child possibly having to go to Parkwood. I really don't! If it were ridden with gang members and shootings and resource officers, I may have my hesitations as safety then becomes a concern. But I just don't believe that to be the case here. Yes, we all want our property values to go up, up, up. But nothing is a guarantee. To answer your question, I moved here to begin with because I wanted to be away from all the traffic and stores and chaos!! Boy have times changed ;-) I have STAYED here, however, b/c its beautiful and clean and well... it's home. This area is amazing and it will stay amazing as long as our community works for it! The lack of spirit, strength, integrity, and patience I have seen here in this thread alone makes me realize that we could all be doomed if human nature takes over. Everyone needs to just breathe and look at the big picture here!!!! We are ALL in this and so are our kids. If WE freak out, THEY will freak out. Kids and parents and educators TOGETHER make a "great school", end of story. Parkwood can be an amazing school too if given the chance and a little love and nurturing. So there's my answer.
Thank you for sharing that. It is appreciated.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
again, facilities meeting was at 8:30 am, County Commissioners was in the pm. Rumor that there was a change was probably started by someone that has no idea the difference between the two.
My reference to a "change" was my own experience with previous meetings. To deny the BoE is avoiding a scene is disingenuous - we all know it's coming.

Quote:
Did I say I didn't know where to find a subdivision map? I said I didn't know where the subdivision was, but informed her of the borders. Contrary to how it may appear by my obsession with beating my head against the wall in these posts, I have better things to do then to pull up a subdivision map, find a subdivision, and compare it to the boundary lines.
I wasn't suggesting you do anything of the like - it would have taken you less time to link the person to the proper place. Instead you like to drone on "correcting" people and talking down to them. You're not helping your own case and are "beating your head" all by your self. You seem perfectly content not providing any helpful information and trying to make others look foolish. <hint> it's not working.

Quote:
since you are so well versed with finding documents online, why don't you review prior Facility Committee minutes from previous months and report back to us what their usual meeting times are? Ignorance and confusion on your part does not equal avoidance on their part.
I would - except they are NOT posted... The last minutes from a facility meeting are up from Nov 6th. There are no minutes posted for either the Nov 25th or Jan 6th meeting. Meanwhile regular board meeting minutes are already up from Jan 7th. You appear to be the confused one and should check before you make yourself look sillier.

Quote:
They released preliminary information, before the final draft is ready, as they are working on the final draft, but that isn't transparent?? My point is you can see what they are working towards and it is pretty obvious which elementary schools are impacted, as opposed to what you said.
They released an edited spreadsheet showing numbers modified by cluster and a poorly written half arse presentation deck with no substance. You seem to be OK with "pretty obvious" from public officials. I'm not and I have every right to be... There is no transparency... there is no documentation... how many times have they gone through this? Nobody took the time to document a process? Nobody will document what has happened at the last TWO facility meetings? I'm glad you're OK with that, but I have every right to question it.

Quote:
Again, you are confused. Facilities committee consists of 4 BOE members. UCPS staff (Dr. Ellis, Dr. Web, and their staff) are the ones working on the proposal, as they were instructed to do by the board. Yes, I imagine and hope that they are working on it in between meetings, or else those would be some long meetings. Do you expect to receive a memo everytime someone uses their eraser and redraws a line and ponders the outcome? But they have indeed shared HOW they are arriving at this, if you were at the same meetings as me, you saw the power point presentation and saw the pockets they were trying to relieve and the empty seats they were trying to fill.
Honestly, you seem as confused as everyone else... Of course they're working on it between meetings - that's my entire point. Save the memo and share working session minutes - minutes from a recent public meeting... Share the numbers they're looking at BY SUBDIVISION - be it students, forecasts, or distance to each school... You like to "assume the obvious" - and it's quite obvious they have those datapoints. How about sharing any of that for starters? and again, you're confused. The presentation is not about "how"... I saw it at the meeting and it's posted online. Go back and re-read it so you can let us all know "how" they will get to those numbers. Oh wait, let me guess... they're going to move kids around! what a shocker... The overall process and decision making should be transparent and it's not. Period.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the BOE used to refuse to meet in a location where their meetings could be recorded and I think that is still the case. Does anyone know why they do that? Not many folks can go to the meetings but it would be nice to have access to watch what goes on. Perhaps that is why they don't record them? Better we voters not know? I'm just asking...seems strange that they have the facilities to record the meetings and don't. The county records the dang Planning Board meetings....but no BOE? Transparency is lacking.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:02 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing that. It is appreciated.
It's all going to balance out, I am sure of it.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
One thing I notice is if your kid is ranked in the top percentage of a lower performing school (i.e. Parkwood), they have a better change getting into high ranked College than a top student at Weddington or Marvin..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte