Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 AM

549 posts, read 679,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post

This makes me furious. They don't need a new Cuthbertson Elementary School. They have over 1000 empty seats in the west side elementary schools. We don't have enough damn toilets at Sun Valley High School. Some of the boys bathrooms don't even have doors on the stalls. Fix our schools first. They should have put the Marvin kids in trailers, they would survive, might be good for them. Mine do just fine in trailers at Sun Valley. Stop wasting all this money bussing kids all over the county. Union Elementary doesn't have hot water? Did you know they have about 3 working toilets? Disgraceful. Greedy, and keep raising our taxes to pay for this. What a disgrace.
I don't disagree with you at all about fixing the older schools first. That is why I suggested they might attend Waxhaw Elementary for a while as an alternative. I hear you about the taxes too.

However, everyone seems to want to attend the school closest to their house. We do have capacity; just not in the right places. What a dilemma? Ultimately, our options are build or redistrict again. The people are against both. LOL. I'd hate to be the one making that decision.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 10-03-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 AM

527 posts, read 744,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
SVMS?

If its the middle school, that is greatly exaggerated I can assure you.
How can you assure us? SVMS was already over capacity last year. They have a classroom capacity of 1,045 yet they have 1,364 students...

http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...ddleSchool.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post
This makes me furious. They don't need a new Cuthbertson Elementary School. They have over 1000 empty seats in the west side elementary schools. We don't have enough damn toilets at Sun Valley High School. Some of the boys bathrooms don't even have doors on the stalls. Fix our schools first. They should have put the Marvin kids in trailers, they would survive, might be good for them. Mine do just fine in trailers at Sun Valley. Stop wasting all this money bussing kids all over the county. Union Elementary doesn't have hot water? Did you know they have about 3 working toilets? Disgraceful. Greedy, and keep raising our taxes to pay for this. What a disgrace.
Another well said to you sir (or madam). Another example of why MCR's were the SHORT TERM answer while a long term comprehensive plan was developed. More and more people (not necessarily you) that "weren't impacted" are starting to realize that's not the case at all.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Mikey-There are only two elementary schools in Cuthberston cluster.

Kensington and Newtown Combined Capacity=1608/6 grades=268 seats per grade
Cuthbertson Middle=1200/3 grades=400 seats per grade
Cuthberston High=1600/4 grades=400 seats per grade
Capacity of 3 Elementary Schools Would Be 2412/6 grades=402 seats per grade

Obviously, UCPS knows this and plans to move forward on the third elementary school. That can't happen with the wave of a wand. It will be crowded at both New Town and Kensington. Alternatively, it looks like there is some room in Waxhaw Elementary (which could be split) it appears from the numbers MikeyKid posted, but everyone wants to go to the elementary school closest to their house.
Yes they're moving forward with the 3rd Elem and it will be up faster because they own the property already. However, that's at least 2 years out. So your math would be fine if Webb was on the forecasts... Take a look. He missed New Town and Kensington very badly. New Town is way over and now capped. Kensington is way under. Imagine if they didn't amend all of Millbridge.

I appreciate you would look towards Waxhaw Elem. But widen your purview a bit and look in the other direction. Look at the Western edge of the NTES boundary. If they knew a 3rd Elem was coming for Cuthbertson (I heard rumours as far back as last Winter), then they should have paid closer attention. That little "chunk" across Providence had communities moved from Kensington to New Town and Sandy Ridge to New Town.

#1- They should never have overreached Providence to send those communities across the New Town corridor logistically... but now that mistake is compounded by the actual numbers and having to cap the school. If they were assigned to Kensington, it wouldn't be an issue. Both logistically (not having to cross Providence) and numbers wise to hold over until the 3rd Elem comes out of the ground.

#2 - They OVER estimated Sandy Ridge and it was a bad miss. There was no reason to redistrict out of Marvin in that area to Cuthbertson. In fact, your own math shows how wasteful Marvin will become at the Elementary level... again your math - Marvin, Rea View, Sandy Ridge Combined Capacity = 1948/6 grades=324 seats per grade for THREE schools. Note that McKibben and Webb's forecasts both pre and post redistricting show that cluster trending DOWN.

I watched #1 and #2 raised on every occasion possible to the BOE and administration during meetings and hearings.

The real question is what they do now that New Town is capped... Lawson is (was) still selling like hot cakes. I'm fairly certain they'll send them to Kensington for the short term - but what do they do come the facilities procedures that should kick off all over again because a school was capped?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
How can you assure us? SVMS was already over capacity last year. They have a classroom capacity of 1,045 yet they have 1,364 students...

http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...ddleSchool.pdf

Another well said to you sir (or madam). Another example of why MCR's were the SHORT TERM answer while a long term comprehensive plan was developed. More and more people (not necessarily you) that "weren't impacted" are starting to realize that's not the case at all.

Because I have kids in the school along with friends of my children who attend. I've been in there several times during the school day.

Its not as 'dangerous' as some lead you to believe..could they build a new bigger school? sure, but my kids are perfectly fine there.

Now the high school is a different story w/the repairs needed...

As others have said, fix the schools we have now..

Old 10-03-2014, 01:19 PM

527 posts, read 744,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The real question is what they do now that New Town is capped... Lawson is (was) still selling like hot cakes. I'm fairly certain they'll send them to Kensington for the short term - but what do they do come the facilities procedures that should kick off all over again because a school was capped?
Lawson is on pace to sell 160 homes this year... that includes lived in and new construction, but the majority is new construction. That's an insane number.

There have been rumors that there will be additional redistricting before next year. Could be total BS... but it's interesting that, for a long time, it was difficult to find homes for sale in Anklin Forrest (other than the Essex new construction) or Silver Creek but now there are 10 between between them with quite a few others that have closed in the past two months... things that make you go hmm.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Lawson is on pace to sell 160 homes this year... that includes lived in and new construction, but the majority is new construction. That's an insane number.

There have been rumors that there will be additional redistricting before next year. Could be total BS... but it's interesting that, for a long time, it was difficult to find homes for sale in Anklin Forrest (other than the Essex new construction) or Silver Creek but now there are 10 between between them with quite a few others that have closed in the past two months... things that make you go hmm.

I agree on Lawson being insane - it will get relief from the new Elementary, but that will take a couple of years. Something needs to be done and the playbook is cap->facilities->redistrict. That's exactly what we saw start up this time last year when they had to cap.

So when New Town gets capped Tuesday, the same plan should go into motion. I think we all agree that caps are bad news for homes sales (even if its New Town to Kensington). Families being pushed to an alternate school with the associated busing logistics is painful. The sitting board is no trailers - we don't need to rehash.

It should be interesting as this time the elections fall smack in the middle of the process - depending how many seats change over we could see an overall shift in strategic thinking and a redistrict vote may not be the slamdunk it was this year.

I also agree home sales will be interesting to watch - there are most assuredly people who have grandfathered 5th and 8th graders who will be selling come Spring time.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yes they're moving forward with the 3rd Elem and it will be up faster because they own the property already. However, that's at least 2 years out. So your math would be fine if Webb was on the forecasts... Take a look. He missed New Town and Kensington very badly. New Town is way over and now capped. Kensington is way under. Imagine if they didn't amend all of Millbridge.

I appreciate you would look towards Waxhaw Elem. But widen your purview a bit and look in the other direction. Look at the Western edge of the NTES boundary. If they knew a 3rd Elem was coming for Cuthbertson (I heard rumours as far back as last Winter), then they should have paid closer attention. That little "chunk" across Providence had communities moved from Kensington to New Town and Sandy Ridge to New Town.

#1- They should never have overreached Providence to send those communities across the New Town corridor logistically... but now that mistake is compounded by the actual numbers and having to cap the school. If they were assigned to Kensington, it wouldn't be an issue. Both logistically (not having to cross Providence) and numbers wise to hold over until the 3rd Elem comes out of the ground.

#2 - They OVER estimated Sandy Ridge and it was a bad miss. There was no reason to redistrict out of Marvin in that area to Cuthbertson. In fact, your own math shows how wasteful Marvin will become at the Elementary level... again your math - Marvin, Rea View, Sandy Ridge Combined Capacity = 1948/6 grades=324 seats per grade for THREE schools. Note that McKibben and Webb's forecasts both pre and post redistricting show that cluster trending DOWN.

I watched #1 and #2 raised on every occasion possible to the BOE and administration during meetings and hearings.

#1-The combined watch level of the two is 1808 and the combined cap level is 2000. Combined 20-day ADM shows 1701 while the combined projection was 1667. This is over the combined capacity of 1608. As you say, it looks like the students could fit into the two elementary schools if split properly with both being slightly over capacity from day one. Alternatively, we could have split an elementary in another cluster so all were under capacity.

#2 I'm guessing that the primary focus when redrawing the lines was straightening out the middle school overcrowding. Perhaps a focus on the middle schools rather then the elementary schools explains your #2. Yes. I suppose you could also split one of those elementary schools you mention between two clusters.

I'm not so sure they'll get a new elementary all that fast. There is the matter of funding. The public seems to be against any more spending for once.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:36 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
Quote:

I also agree home sales will be interesting to watch - there are most assuredly people who have grandfathered 5th and 8th graders who will be selling come Spring time.
Also grandfathered HS students that are driven by parents since there is no bus for them either...

Only the realtors could benefit from this mess.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
#1-The combined watch level of the two is 1808 and the combined cap level is 2000. Combined 20-day ADM shows 1701 while the combined projection was 1667. This is over the combined capacity of 1608. As you say, it looks like the students could fit into the two elementary schools if split properly with both being slightly over capacity from day one. Alternatively, we could have split an elementary in another cluster so all were under capacity.

#2 I'm guessing that the primary focus when redrawing the lines was straightening out the middle school overcrowding. Perhaps a focus on the middle schools rather then the elementary schools explains your #2. Yes. I suppose you could also split one of those elementary schools you mention between two clusters.

I'm not so sure they'll get a new elementary all that fast. There is the matter of funding. The public seems to be against any more spending for once.
I'm not sure why you're avoiding the elephant in the room by combining counts across the cluster - NTES is now capped. Which should kick-off all the same processes that started this time last year to address capping. My understanding is that capped schools must be addressed by facilities, letters to families, etc - we saw the whole thing just play out. Unless you have information otherwise. Capping is capping.

I would agree there was a focus on Middle schools due to "the bubble". But in regard to Marvin Ridge Middle, go back and look at the forecasts pre and post redistricting. It was always estimated to fall off by both McKibben and Webb's numbers. It was "over relieved" (I just made up that word). Again, why overthink it and split Elementary schools... it's even simpler. If that area was left alone, nothing done, there would have been no capacity issues this year. Certainly no capping. It was a plain whiff. Too heavy handed with the big thick magic marker. Then any reasonable compromises were squashed in the ensuing bedlam. Note this all happened right in Savage's backyard who did nothing but walk out.

The money for a new Elementary is there in the judgment. I'm sure they're spending it already. lol

Old 10-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're avoiding the elephant in the room by combining counts across the cluster - NTES is now capped. Which should kick-off all the same processes that started this time last year to address capping. My understanding is that capped schools must be addressed by facilities, letters to families, etc - we saw the whole thing just play out. Unless you have information otherwise. Capping is capping.
To show that I don't think the problem can be solved within the cluster by moving students from New Town to Kensington. That cluster as a whole is over its capacity at the elementary level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte