Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times

Advertisements

And whats odd is there are some Southern people (born & raised) that do not eat Grits.

Me for one. I was not raised on grits and my parents and grand-parents do not eat grits to this day, nor do I.

Odd huh?

I am not a corn bread eater either. But I LOVE me some homemade biscuits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
And whats odd is there are some Southern people (born & raised) that do not eat Grits.

Me for one. I was not raised on grits and my parents and grand-parents do not eat grits to this day, nor do I.

Odd huh?

I am not a corn bread eater either. But I LOVE me some homemade biscuits!
Well, actually, my parents never had grits in the house. It was only b/c of my g/mother that I ate them, and then when I started cooking (in high school) I would get grits and do them for the family. Then I discovered shrimp and grits . . . and that is a family favorite now.

But my dad has this thing for hominy! His g/parents liked it and so he grew up eating it . . . so I developed a taste for it. Strange how this stuff works, isn't it?

As for cornbread, my mother did not make good cornbread, but my g/mothers did . . . so they taught me . . . and I found the reason I liked theirs and not my mother's . . . they added some sugar to theirs and the sweet taste was just more appealing. Plus, they used buttermilk in the batter! And that also adds a different flavor.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 AM

I love pretty much all Southern food except grits and cornbread!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I love pretty much all Southern food except grits and cornbread!
I use to hate grits too til I realze there is a difference between instant grits, waffle house grits verses slow cook grits. I-Hop so far tops my list for delicious grits.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I use to hate grits too til I realze there is a difference between instant grits, waffle house grits verses slow cook grits. I-Hop so far tops my list for delicious grits.
Sunny, you brought up something I had not thought to mention! YES!!! Never use nasty instant grits. ICK!!! Cardboard flakes. Styrofoam. Or something equally as tasteless and strange texture . . .

Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 AM

28 posts, read 88,968 times
Default More Southern Food

Spoon bread is a very moist, dense slightly sweet bread that is literally served up with a spoon rather than being able to slice it. There is another very old southern bread called Sally Lun that I think goes back to the Scots-Irish heritage of so many Carolinians--it, too, is dense and moist but it can be sliced. As for cornbread, as a child I remember many Sunday nights when supper consisted of cold buttermilk (the really thick kind with big flecks of butter in it) and cornbread crumbled up into the milk and eaten with a spoon. Traditionally, Southerners had a big Sunday "dinner" in the middle of the day with the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, etc. and then at night you would just have something light and easy and as my mother would say "It is grab and growl"--in other words, find what you can in the fridge and it's every man or woman for himself! I think buttermilk is definitely something that you have to grow up drinking it to really like it. My husband was born north of the Mason Dixon and while he has fully embraced grits, country ham and red-eye gravy, he just can't come to terms with buttermilk!

More southern delicacies would be pickled peaches, chow-chow and *****lilli (both spicy relishes usually served with beans or field and/or crowder peas). Did anyone ever have fried fatback? Awful strong salty stuff but I guess when times were hard and people couldn't afford meat, it sufficed. I, too, grew up eating all sorts of wild game--fried squirrel and rabbit, quail and ducks as well as fish--bream, crappie, bass and catfish. My Daddy was an expert marksman and hunter and fisherman and many times whatever he could shoot or catch was the only way we had meat on the table and we were thankful for it!

A lot of traditional southern cooking was about using what you had and making good, nourishing food for your family when you didn't have a lot of fancy ingredients. People usually had flour, cornmeal, butter, milk, eggs, etc. so that's why simple desserts like pound cake, chess pie, etc. came about. When meat was scarce, old time people knew that beans and peas were an excellent source of protien and they developed many tasty ways to prepare them. A cuisine born out of agrarian plenty but sometimes simple necessity evolved.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sunny, you brought up something I had not thought to mention! YES!!! Never use nasty instant grits. ICK!!! Cardboard flakes. Styrofoam. Or something equally as tasteless and strange texture . . .
I think that is why so many do not like grits because that is all they ever tried.

I tried this new recipe I pick up off the coastal forum for Tomato PUdding.
I took it to a church cover dish dinner (they make great guinea pigs) lol
And it does not look pretty or appetizing but it was huge hit once someone sample it and spread the word.
The next time I think I should garnish with baking tomato slices on top.

Why do I come this thread around Dinner time.. urrgh.

I could go for some potato cakes right now

Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Line View Post
Spoon bread is a very moist, dense slightly sweet bread that is literally served up with a spoon rather than being able to slice it. There is another very old southern bread called Sally Lun that I think goes back to the Scots-Irish heritage of so many Carolinians--it, too, is dense and moist but it can be sliced. As for cornbread, as a child I remember many Sunday nights when supper consisted of cold buttermilk (the really thick kind with big flecks of butter in it) and cornbread crumbled up into the milk and eaten with a spoon. Traditionally, Southerners had a big Sunday "dinner" in the middle of the day with the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, etc. and then at night you would just have something light and easy and as my mother would say "It is grab and growl"--in other words, find what you can in the fridge and it's every man or woman for himself! I think buttermilk is definitely something that you have to grow up drinking it to really like it. My husband was born north of the Mason Dixon and while he has fully embraced grits, country ham and red-eye gravy, he just can't come to terms with buttermilk!

More southern delicacies would be pickled peaches, chow-chow and *****lilli (both spicy relishes usually served with beans or field and/or crowder peas). Did anyone ever have fried fatback? Awful strong salty stuff but I guess when times were hard and people couldn't afford meat, it sufficed. I, too, grew up eating all sorts of wild game--fried squirrel and rabbit, quail and ducks as well as fish--bream, crappie, bass and catfish. My Daddy was an expert marksman and hunter and fisherman and many times whatever he could shoot or catch was the only way we had meat on the table and we were thankful for it!

A lot of traditional southern cooking was about using what you had and making good, nourishing food for your family when you didn't have a lot of fancy ingredients. People usually had flour, cornmeal, butter, milk, eggs, etc. so that's why simple desserts like pound cake, chess pie, etc. came about. When meat was scarce, old time people knew that beans and peas were an excellent source of protien and they developed many tasty ways to prepare them. A cuisine born out of agrarian plenty but sometimes simple necessity evolved.
Forget the Chow Chow, but when can WE all be expecting the Spoon Bread?

I love all types of bread, biscuits, just no cornbread.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think that is why so many do not like grits because that is all they ever tried.

I tried this new recipe I pick up off the coastal forum for Tomato PUdding.
I took it to a church cover dish dinner (they make great guinea pigs) lol
And it does not look pretty or appetizing but it was huge hit once someone sample it and spread the word.
The next time I think I should garnish with baking tomato slices on top.

Why do I come this thread around Dinner time.. urrgh.

I could go for some potato cakes right now
Okay - now I have to look up Tomato Pudding. Is it tomatoes w/ bread - like escalloped tomatoes?

Potato cakes sound good. I am making a big pot of chili w/ kidney beans.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-17-2008 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: wrong word, misspell

Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Line View Post

What a great post!!! Yes, have had fat back but only as seasoning in green beans and collards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte