Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM

182 posts, read 554,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
In a situation like yours, I would suggest you give yourself a six month time period to just "wait and see". If you still feel the same way in six months, then you've made the right decision by not moving.
With some posters on this forum you can practically "feel" the sense of urgency-without-thinking approach. Those are the people who don't listen to their sixth sense, move down/over here and become disappointed and resentful. It's almost as if they're thinking: "I've gotta get to Charlotte NOW before all the affordable, nice, big, beautiful, etc. homes are gone!" When you think like that, you're not listening to your gut feeling. Always listen to your gut feeling!
Good Luck!
Great Advice, thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Great post. I remember thinking the same thing, "the houses are gonna be gone!" While I am thrilled with my move and know that Charlotte/Steele Creek was 1000% right for me, I have noticed there are plenty of houses for sale in this area that haven't moved.
Steele Creek is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Are you really basing your decision solely on an internet discussion board? And for what it's worth, there are MUCH nicer and safer areas of Charlotte than the Steele Creek area. I think it would behoove you to come up here and spend a couple of weeks up here to learn the real story to calm your fears.

I'm with ani...I've lived here for 25 years and have never been a victim of serious crime nor have I known anyone to be a victim.

I think the biggest reevaluation you should do is why you are putting so many eggs in a message board. Not sound judgment in my opinion.

Good luck in your search of Utopia.
Thank you, but the answer is yes & no, like I said before I would tend to listen to people who live in the area versus me riding through without any knowledge of the area. Just as I would listen to you if you told me all "great" things about Charlotte, due to your time in the city. But I thank you all for your input. I do think Charlotte is the area for us, the time just has to be right. But I will take stmaarten's advice and wait the 6months, before jumping into to the deep end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,455,392 times
I agree that you are doing the right thing by taking time to figure out if you really want to live here. Some people make a hurried decision and wind up disappointed in Charlotte. This is a great city but it's not for everyone.

FYI - You can read the minutes from the latest Steele Creek Residents Association meeting. Regarding crime:
Quote:
Captain John Williams, Commander of the Steele Creek Division of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, said that the officers of the Steele Creek Division are working hard to address crime issues in Steele Creek. He said that although crime certainly should be a concern, crime in Steele Creek is no worse than other areas in Mecklenburg County. He said there's "nothing out here to worry about that's any different from other areas in Charlotte."

Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Are you really basing your decision solely on an internet discussion board? And for what it's worth, there are MUCH nicer and safer areas of Charlotte than the Steele Creek area. I think it would behoove you to come up here and spend a couple of weeks up here to learn the real story to calm your fears.

I'm with ani...I've lived here for 25 years and have never been a victim of serious crime nor have I known anyone to be a victim.

I think the biggest reevaluation you should do is why you are putting so many eggs in a message board. Not sound judgment in my opinion.

Good luck in your search of Utopia.
I CANNOT believe you are basing your decision on this board! Oh my.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Hi there. It's ashame you feel that way. I live in Miami. Born and raised. I too rent and want to buy a house. You can't do it in FL period. Even if you find something inexpensive, the taxes and insurance kill you. I'm surprised you have allowed a message board to scare you away. There is crime everywhere. I mean just look at Miami. NC is a totally different world but there is crime everywhere. Unless your paying over $1m in a fully secured community. And even then, you can get robbed on the street. You have to be smart and cautious. Some people on this forum make it sound like its a free for all up there. I don't believe it is. But it's definitely not the "time" to leave your doors unlocked..Good luck! I'll be thinking of you while I'm paying $400 for the year for home insurance

Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 AM

175 posts, read 188,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
My husband & I have decided to post-pone our move to Charlotte, until early next year. Well it is really me who is the resistant one. Finding this site was a blessing & a curse. The blessing was I learned that Charlotte had more to offer than I initially knew. The curse, I have been scared senseless.

The wool has been pulled from over my eyes. Charlotte is not the paradise I was wishing for. I know it was niave of me to think a city was the answer to blissfull suburan life. Coming from a city of 100,000 to a city with more than 600,000 people had to be a change. I guess what really put the nail in the coffin was the tales of random crime.

So I guess have to sit back and make a decision of what I really want to do.
Oh for the love of Pete. We are in a recession and people are desperate. Does that effect crime rates? You bet it does. Is the rise in crime only happening in Charlotte? Please. If you don't want to move here, don't, but please don't site crime as the reason. As a native of NYC and northern NJ, I can tell you that crime is such a non-issue here, it's entirely laughable. However, if the perception of crime slows down growth a bit and lets us catch up on building infrastructure, then I say, "Stick 'em up!".

Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 AM

117 posts, read 386,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
Oh for the love of Pete. We are in a recession and people are desperate. Does that effect crime rates? You bet it does. Is the rise in crime only happening in Charlotte? Please. If you don't want to move here, don't, but please don't site crime as the reason. As a native of NYC and northern NJ, I can tell you that crime is such a non-issue here, it's entirely laughable. However, if the perception of crime slows down growth a bit and lets us catch up on building infrastructure, then I say, "Stick 'em up!".

You are so funny Jerseygirl! That "Stick'em up" gave me the laugh I needed this morning!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 AM

249 posts, read 875,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
I'm not going to turn this into another crime thread, but the level of crime is certainly not laughable. There are plenty of sites where you can compare charlotte to national averages and judge for yourself.

One thing that would concern me if I was moving here is the looming recession (you can argue whether its already started or not). Charlotte is the 2nd largest financial center of the US and I don't have a great feeling on what is to come, specifically due to the mortgage and investment banking industry. Personally, if I currently had a job where I was I would wait and see what happens to the economy before I moved anywhere. Just my opinion.

And for the record, didn't I read that the OP has visited here numerous times? So I highly doubt she is basing her decision entirely on what she has read on these boards.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
My husband & I have decided to post-pone our move to Charlotte, until early next year. Well it is really me who is the resistant one. Finding this site was a blessing & a curse. The blessing was I learned that Charlotte had more to offer than I initially knew. The curse, I have been scared senseless.

The wool has been pulled from over my eyes. Charlotte is not the paradise I was wishing for. I know it was niave of me to think a city was the answer to blissfull suburan life. Coming from a city of 100,000 to a city with more than 600,000 people had to be a change. I guess what really put the nail in the coffin was the tales of random crime.

So I guess have to sit back and make a decision of what I really want to do.
You live in West Palm Beach and you are scared of crime. Palm Beach County Florida is the 60th most dangerous county in the whole US to live in.

I have friends that live in Manalapan that I will be visiting in about 4 weeks. Love South Florida!

Crime is everywhere!

Charlotte is a WONDERFUL city to live in!

But you shouldn't do anything that you really don't have your heart in. You would never enjoy all that Charlotte has to offer.

GOOD LUCK though!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 AM

175 posts, read 188,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
I'm not going to turn this into another crime thread, but the level of crime is certainly not laughable. There are plenty of sites where you can compare charlotte to national averages and judge for yourself.

One thing that would concern me if I was moving here is the looming recession (you can argue whether its already started or not). Charlotte is the 2nd largest financial center of the US and I don't have a great feeling on what is to come, specifically due to the mortgage and investment banking industry. Personally, if I currently had a job where I was I would wait and see what happens to the economy before I moved anywhere. Just my opinion.

And for the record, didn't I read that the OP has visited here numerous times? So I highly doubt she is basing her decision entirely on what she has read on these boards.
Both banks have already taken their hits. The thing about recessions is that usuually by the time you realize you're in one, you're halfway out of it. Charlotte never had a housing bubble so we didn't see the dowturn until late last year and we'll be among the first out of it. As long as the media can get peoples' attention with this saga, we'll continue to hear about it. I am choosing to move on.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:27 AM

111 posts, read 165,584 times
Jerseygirl - Stick um up! I laughed so hard I spit my coffee out all over the computer. That was so funny! I feel the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte