Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM

245 posts, read 881,506 times

Advertisements

wow, sorry to hear that.

try ****.com to narrow your choices down (both of you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
sounds like you got good instincts. listen to them.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
Oh for the love of Pete. We are in a recession and people are desperate. Does that effect crime rates? You bet it does. Is the rise in crime only happening in Charlotte? Please. If you don't want to move here, don't, but please don't site crime as the reason. As a native of NYC and northern NJ, I can tell you that crime is such a non-issue here, it's entirely laughable. However, if the perception of crime slows down growth a bit and lets us catch up on building infrastructure, then I say, "Stick 'em up!".
Jerseygirl - I've been repeating this phrase all day and laughing every time I do! You win the award for best post of the week in my book!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,719,442 times
[quote=jerseygirl34;2960172]
Oh for the love of Pete. QUOTE]

That is definitely a phrase a Jersey girl would use! Gave me a chuckle too!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM

182 posts, read 554,444 times
Quote:
Oh for the love of Pete. We are in a recession and people are desperate. Does that effect crime rates? You bet it does. Is the rise in crime only happening in Charlotte? Please. If you don't want to move here, don't, but please don't site crime as the reason. As a native of NYC and northern NJ, I can tell you that crime is such a non-issue here, it's entirely laughable. However, if the perception of crime slows down growth a bit and lets us catch up on building infrastructure, then I say, "Stick 'em up!".

I'm sorry Jerseygirl, that you feel that my apprehensiveness, about crime is not one of my concerns. I am also disappointed that I cannot expressive my fear without being attacked for feeling that way. As far as crime being a non issue that is not true. I read an article in the Charlotte Observer in December about the rising crime rates. Everyone cannot afford to live in a 300,000+ neighborhood, so for the ones that cannot, it is an concern.
I also started a thread about foreclosure rates, and I was almost attacked for asking a question, or for or less voicing my concern. I also NEVER said that I WAS NOT moving to Charlotte, I stated I was going to push my move back a few months. But thank you for your comment just the same.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM

182 posts, read 554,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
I'm not going to turn this into another crime thread, but the level of crime is certainly not laughable. There are plenty of sites where you can compare charlotte to national averages and judge for yourself.

One thing that would concern me if I was moving here is the looming recession (you can argue whether its already started or not). Charlotte is the 2nd largest financial center of the US and I don't have a great feeling on what is to come, specifically due to the mortgage and investment banking industry. Personally, if I currently had a job where I was I would wait and see what happens to the economy before I moved anywhere. Just my opinion.

And for the record, didn't I read that the OP has visited here numerous times? So I highly doubt she is basing her decision entirely on what she has read on these boards.

Thank you, that's is a big part of us waiting also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
You live in West Palm Beach and you are scared of crime. Palm Beach County Florida is the 60th most dangerous county in the whole US to live in.

I have friends that live in Manalapan that I will be visiting in about 4 weeks. Love South Florida!

Crime is everywhere!

Charlotte is a WONDERFUL city to live in!

But you shouldn't do anything that you really don't have your heart in. You would never enjoy all that Charlotte has to offer.

GOOD LUCK though!
WOW, I never said I wasn't moving to Charlotte. And yes WPB has it's share of crime. I am trying to escape it, not move to more.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Sorry you feel that way. Some people on here are bitter and love to exaggerate about things (such as crime). Charlotte is a great city that has a lot going for it. I have never felt unsafe here, but that doesn't mean I let my guard down either (same goes for anywhere else).

I am assuming you are from West Palm Beach? You do know that Palm Beach County as a whole has more people than Mecklenburg (although it will eventually catch up according to projections)? Since Charlotte has annexed so much of Mecklenburg County, its population figures can be a little deceiving.
To the OP, if your heart is not 100% in it then you shouldn't do it. It really doesn't matter what anyone else on this forum says, you have to trust your instints. That being said, I have read a lot of the posts and have posted myself about crime. I feel at no time was there ever any exaggeration about the level of crime in parts of Charlotte. Now, honestly, there are really safe parts of Charlotte. I wasn't fortunate enough to move to one but I have seen safer areas. Go figure, as we were told not to move to Gastonia as it was full of crime supposedly, but we went there last weekend and we liked it soooooooooo much better then Steele Creek. To hear your heart was set on the Steele Creek area, well we live here and we have witnessed crime here. Steele Creek has nice parts but there are a lot of not so great parts as well. Take Rivergate for example, what a nice place to go shopping. Drive 10 mins down the road to the Whitehall Shopping center and it is a different story. They even have to have an armed guard in front of Bilo now to keep their customers. What a sad world we live in. Yes, every city has crime. But honestly we have felt much safer in the actual city itself then in the suburbs of Charlotte which is something that in itself is hard to get used to when you come from a city (like most cities) that it is the opposite.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,871 times
Quote:
Hmmm, the logic would make sense about people being desperate b/c we are in a recession but as the current crime stats show, crime is actually down in Charlotte. That being said, statistics do show that the national average of Charlotte crime is higher then most cities, so crime being laughable is not really true either unfortunately. I wish that were true but we live in a world where we ALL need to keep our guard up b/c you just never know...

Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
I'm sorry Jerseygirl, that you feel that my apprehensiveness, about crime is not one of my concerns. I am also disappointed that I cannot expressive my fear without being attacked for feeling that way. As far as crime being a non issue that is not true. I read an article in the Charlotte Observer in December about the rising crime rates. Everyone cannot afford to live in a 300,000+ neighborhood, so for the ones that cannot, it is an concern.
I also started a thread about foreclosure rates, and I was almost attacked for asking a question, or for or less voicing my concern. I also NEVER said that I WAS NOT moving to Charlotte, I stated I was going to push my move back a few months. But thank you for your comment just the same.
But DiamondGirl you did more than just "express your fear" - you admitted you are letting this fear stop you from doing something you were looking forward to doing!

I don't think anyone was trying to attack you, sorry you feel like we did. This is just a subject that has had SO much written about it already. To some of us regulars the same stuff keeps being talked about OVER and OVER and OVER - it gets old that's all, so we were having some fun.

Additionally, I certainly don't live in a neighborhood of homes in the 300's and yet I still feel pretty safe. There are even homes around me under $200,000 - you don't have to live in an expensive home to be safe in Charlotte. The way some things have been lately, I'd actually be more concerned if I did live in a neighborhood of homes in the 3 and 400's - Those are the neighorhoods seeing the crime spree right now!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:03 AM

175 posts, read 188,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But DiamondGirl you did more than just "express your fear" - you admitted you are letting this fear stop you from doing something you were looking forward to doing!

I don't think anyone was trying to attack you, sorry you feel like we did. This is just a subject that has had SO much written about it already. To some of us regulars the same stuff keeps being talked about OVER and OVER and OVER - it gets old that's all, so we were having some fun.

Additionally, I certainly don't live in a neighborhood of homes in the 300's and yet I still feel pretty safe. There are even homes around me under $200,000 - you don't have to live in an expensive home to be safe in Charlotte. The way some things have been lately, I'd actually be more concerned if I did live in a neighborhood of homes in the 3 and 400's - Those are the neighorhoods seeing the crime spree right now!
Thanks for having my back LM. DG - we were funnin' with you, as they say down here. It really sounds like small town life might be better suited to you. I am a paranoid fraidy cat who is fearful of a lot of things but I can honestly tell you that crime in Charlotte isn't one of them (no more than it would be in any other city in the US - you have to use common sense). My neighborhood caps out at just over $300K ona good day and yet it is virtually crime-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte